Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 09:52 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

Reactionary, you could have simply said, "Actually burning bush is on many states' invasive species lists ..." This is such a nice thread -- no need to be rude (although I'm assuming that was unintentional -- alas, hard to tell tone on the Internet! ).

I've seen many photos of burning bush and it is gorgeous! Alas, I just googled "is burning bush invasive in New Hampshire" and found that it is banned here too.

BTW, would some of you please post photos of your gardens? I always find them so motivational (although sometimes I am very jealous, LOL!)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 10:01 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Karen - I appreciate your comment, however, the word "ignorant" is not rude. I'm ignorant of many things.

In the case of someone seemingly willfully ignorant, IMO a 'clue by four' needs to be delivered with strong language.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:15 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Perhaps MA has the perfect climate for invasiveness, so it’s warranted, but since I’m originally from there, I figure its more likely something the crunchy granolas dreamed up.

Just for the record, I have not known them to be a problem in MA, AZ, OH, or GA....places where I have lived.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:21 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I too love Annie's. Probably the thing I miss the most about living in Oakland, CA is all the different nurseries. They all carried the basics but then each of them seemed to have some things that no one else did. How I dreamed of having a bit more space for gardening when I retired.
Yes, California has an amazing climate for gardening and plenty of garden centers. Annie's is located in a prime area for growing things year round. The thing about big cities, is there is always a lot of whatever you want.

Va is another four season climate, but bare and stark this time of year. Rural areas can be tough to buy locally, I'm having the same problem in rural Washington, with the exception of an interesting nursery about two hours from here. I bought two Toyo Nishiki flowering quince, that have the most beautiful bloom. Fortunately, there are catalogs. You mention space for gardening, and I read your post where you have 28 acres. Good for you! If you get chickens, better get fences. My hens are about to be fenced off the front and back porch.

Last edited by Taz22; 02-10-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 02-10-2018, 10:37 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I DID subscribe to it and always enjoy reading more when it pops up in my list as having new posts! Gentlearts, thanks for starting it.

Anyone else had good experience with Breck's? The catalog I just got is mostly for small plantings -- I had good luck with the small heucheras I got from Spring Hill (just not the tulips or other flowers). I may also try some seeds this year since they are inexpensive.
Yes, I'd recommend them. I bought assorted bulbs, everything came up and looked amazing. Good luck with seeds, they can be hard to sprout sometimes. Sunflowers and hollyhocks are easy though!

Old 02-10-2018, 10:59 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
As if to prove my point, we see willful ignorance.

"Burning bush has been found to be so invasive that its importation and sale are prohibited in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. If you have it, you should remove it and plant something else. Those unmistakable red fall leaves are a red flag of shame to plant lovers...

The plant... produces berries that, even if you don’t notice them, are eaten by birds that then excrete them, often in wild areas... These very aggressive and shade-tolerant woody plants from China, Korea, and Japan are taking over Blue Hills Reservation near my home and other conservation areas, crowding out native wildflowers and helping wreck those ecosystems..."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...SlI/story.html

Old 02-11-2018, 05:40 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Almost every yard I’ve ever had had some burning bushes, and I have not known them to be invasive, or cause any trouble at all.
Quote:
I've seen many photos of burning bush and it is gorgeous!
Yup, Burning Bushes are stunning with its fall colors. My neighbor and others around here have them. My neighbor has it in middle of her yard and perhaps mowing around it helps from new germinations? The others in area have it as a border hedge.

Quote:
I LOVE living in New England, but I DO wish our gardening season were longer! Doesn't feel like spring at all up here, after this past Wednesday's big storm (we had a snow day at my job -- I did online classes for the day and I think my students were bummed at not having it completely off! ). Thursday night we had an overnight low of 1 (I was out very early on Friday and I think it was up to 2 degrees by then, LOL!) and last night (Friday night) we got another inch or two of snow. HOWEVER, today we're expecting mid-40s/mid-30s so hopefully the leftover ice will be gone soon (I don't mind snow but ice scares the crap out of me!).

Yeah, Northern New England will always be slower to happen but don't worry, soon it will be Spring.. It's 60s in NC this morning. Well above normal but they must be getting the itch.

Quote:
I just got a Breck's catalog and was looking through it seeing lots of things I'd like to buy.
Anyone else had good experience with Breck's?
Never had Brecks but I will look into that now. Thanks! I get Johnny's, Territorial, & Totally Tomatoes and thanks for the rainy Sunday morning thing to do now.

Quote:
And Cambium, when will you start this year's veggie garden thread? I always subscribe and I love reading it and especially seeing all your PICTURES!

Already did and I will post something this morning. Thanks! I appreciate that.

Quote:
BTW, would some of you please post photos of your gardens? I always find them so motivational (although sometimes I am very jealous, LOL!)!
1000% agree! Pictures are so easy to take, upload and post nowadays and makes a post so much more interesting.. They inspire us. They are a universal language. Actually a large percentage of the human brain dedicates itself to visual processing.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:17 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
I DID subscribe to it and always enjoy reading more when it pops up in my list as having new posts! Gentlearts, thanks for starting it.

I LOVE living in New England, but I DO wish our gardening season were longer! Doesn't feel like spring at all up here, after this past Wednesday's big storm (we had a snow day at my job -- I did online classes for the day and I think my students were bummed at not having it completely off! ). Thursday night we had an overnight low of 1 (I was out very early on Friday and I think it was up to 2 degrees by then, LOL!) and last night (Friday night) we got another inch or two of snow. HOWEVER, today we're expecting mid-40s/mid-30s so hopefully the leftover ice will be gone soon (I don't mind snow but ice scares the crap out of me!).

I just got a Breck's catalog and was looking through it seeing lots of things I'd like to buy. They have a lifetime guarantee, which is very appealing after my experience with Spring Hill 3 years ago: Spring Hill had a 1-year guarantee, then it suddenly changed to 30 days, which of course does no good at all when things aren't expected to grow for a year! They actually DID replace my tulips since so few came up, but given that their stated guarantee has now changed, I won't be ordering from them again.

I DO like buying things from my local nurseries (I've even had good luck with plants at Home Depot, especially annuals), but they sell mostly mature plants so they are expensive.

Anyone else had good experience with Breck's? The catalog I just got is mostly for small plantings -- I had good luck with the small heucheras I got from Spring Hill (just not the tulips or other flowers). I may also try some seeds this year since they are inexpensive.

And Cambium, when will you start this year's veggie garden thread? I always subscribe and I love reading it and especially seeing all your PICTURES!
Karen, if you want a great source for bulbs, I can wholeheartedly (I think that's English, lol) recommend Brent and Becky's Bulbs (Brent and Becky's Bulbs). They are located about 3 hours from me in Gloucester, VA and have a gorgeous garden there. They have also lectured to our regional Master Gardener Chapter and are very knowledgeable as well as personable. For bulk purchases I like to use John Scheepers Bulbs; their catalog doesn't have pretty pictures, but their variety is incredible and their prices are good for larger quantitties as well as as the quality. For everything else I order online my go-to supplier is Wayside Gardens. Their sister site is Jackson Perkins (i.e. roses). I have gotten such nice plants from them - large pots, strong stock, etc. Some of them I have overwinter in the pot in single digit weather with no protection and the plants have come back the next season with absolutely No problem. They have new varieties too - things that are in no way available at the local "big box" stores.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Karen, if you want a great source for bulbs, I can wholeheartedly (I think that's English, lol) recommend Brent and Becky's Bulbs (Brent and Becky's Bulbs). They are located about 3 hours from me in Gloucester, VA and have a gorgeous garden there. They have also lectured to our regional Master Gardener Chapter and are very knowledgeable as well as personable. For bulk purchases I like to use John Scheepers Bulbs; their catalog doesn't have pretty pictures, but their variety is incredible and their prices are good for larger quantitties as well as as the quality. For everything else I order online my go-to supplier is Wayside Gardens. Their sister site is Jackson Perkins (i.e. roses). I have gotten such nice plants from them - large pots, strong stock, etc. Some of them I have overwinter in the pot in single digit weather with no protection and the plants have come back the next season with absolutely No problem. They have new varieties too - things that are in no way available at the local "big box" stores.
Stop, you’re killing me. I cannot get any bulbs to row in GA....too hot in the winter, I guess. Nor can I grow alliums. I loved the giant alliums I had in Ohio, but when I planted a few bulbs here, nothing came up.

I enjoyed Wayside and J&P plants too, but they don’t have much for the southern garden.

I went to Lowe’s garden area yesterday, and it was a pleasant stroll, although there isn’t much out yet. Lots of pansies, which can go in the ground now here. I bought some cherry tomato seeds for patio pots which I’ll start today. I saw some pink geraniums there, which I’ll probably buy for the front porch in a few weeks.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

1000% agree! Pictures are so easy to take, upload and post nowadays and makes a post so much more interesting.. They inspire us. They are a universal language. Actually a large percentage of the human brain dedicates itself to visual processing.
Yes, pictures! I hope everyone will post their big and small garden works as the season goes along.

Great suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden