Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 04:38 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about doing a border with burning bush hedges. I enjoy the red color in fall. Are they easy to maintain like boxwoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 04:46 PM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
What a lovely thread!
Awesome thread. I didn't realize how many posts there were after me. (I should of subscribed to it).

I really enjoyed reading each and everyones post. Fun stuff. Wish you all happy gardening. Spring soon for most of us. Southeast gonna feel it this weekend and next week.

62 posts in this thread.. Here is the count..

Old 02-09-2018, 05:25 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,448,507 times
"Burning Bush Shrub: Poster Child for Invasive Plants
Loved for Its Fall Color, Hated for Its Spreading and Poisonous Traits"

"Burning bush is an invasive plant in North America...

A poisonous plant, burning bush should not be grown in your landscaping if you raise livestock, let nibbling cats or dogs loose in the yard, or have small children who might be tempted to see what the berries taste like. Not only the berries, but also other parts of this plant are poisonous. According to the Pet Poison Helpline, cardiac glycosides have been found in this toxic shrub"

https://www.thespruce.com/burning-bu...plants-2132438

Old 02-09-2018, 05:42 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,864,028 times
Planted that Kentia palm last weekend. The arching fronds are a sight to behold I also put a clumped (4 stems) pygmy date palm in a pot out by the sunny side of the pool, we'll see how long I can keep them in there... I'm still learning about ground cover here, maybe some low lying succulents and a patch of dune grass to finish the look.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:31 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
"Burning Bush Shrub: Poster Child for Invasive Plants
Loved for Its Fall Color, Hated for Its Spreading and Poisonous Traits"

"Burning bush is an invasive plant in North America...

A poisonous plant, burning bush should not be grown in your landscaping if you raise livestock, let nibbling cats or dogs loose in the yard, or have small children who might be tempted to see what the berries taste like. Not only the berries, but also other parts of this plant are poisonous. According to the Pet Poison Helpline, cardiac glycosides have been found in this toxic shrub"

https://www.thespruce.com/burning-bu...plants-2132438

Thanks. Definitely, don't want invasive bushes.

I noticed that a lot of plants and flowers are poisonous to animals. My neighbors and I have a lot of daffodils and tulips come spring and lilies come summer. When I move, I'll have to stick with roses and daylilies since they are safer for animals.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:24 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,133,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We had an unusual 2” snowfall last week, but yesterday it was 63 degrees. My spring fever started stirring. Last frost date here is around St Patrick’s Day.

I have a back corner in the yard that saw two failed dogwood trees last year. I just ordered a camellia from Springhill to try, so I’m looking forward to getting it in a month or two.
Oh yes, after moving from Phoenix where prime gardening months are in Winter, to a four seasons climate, it's hard to get out of the habit of wanting to work outside in the yard this time of year, lol. I do love snow, so it's a fair trade off.

Love the perennial's and annuals from Annie's. I bought a bunch of things from their website for my first year in Washington and wow! Things I'd never grown before were spilling out everywhere. Some of my favorites were the huge Dahlias. After reading Martha Stewart's recommendation to grow French lilacs, I have half a dozen outside that are covered with buds. Also camellias, rhododendrons and Graham Thomas roses. After years in hot, dry Arizona this spring will be a treat!

Old 02-10-2018, 05:49 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Oh yes, after moving from Phoenix where prime gardening months are in Winter, to a four seasons climate, it's hard to get out of the habit of wanting to work outside in the yard this time of year, lol. I do love snow, so it's a fair trade off.

Love the perennial's and annuals from Annie's. I bought a bunch of things from their website for my first year in Washington and wow! Things I'd never grown before were spilling out everywhere. Some of my favorites were the huge Dahlias. After reading Martha Stewart's recommendation to grow French lilacs, I have half a dozen outside that are covered with buds. Also camellias, rhododendrons and Graham Thomas roses. After years in hot, dry Arizona this spring will be a treat!

I too love Annie's. Probably the thing I miss the most about living in Oakland, CA is all the different nurseries. They all carried the basics but then each of them seemed to have some things that no one else did. How I dreamed of having a bit more space for gardening when I retired.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:53 AM

50,384 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I'm thinking about doing a border with burning bush hedges. I enjoy the red color in fall. Are they easy to maintain like boxwoods?
Honestly, I wouldn’t be scared of them. Many plants would be poisonous if we ate them, but we don’t. Almost every yard I’ve ever had had some burning bushes, and I have not known them to be invasive, or cause any trouble at all.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:32 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Awesome thread. I didn't realize how many posts there were after me. (I should of subscribed to it).
I DID subscribe to it and always enjoy reading more when it pops up in my list as having new posts! Gentlearts, thanks for starting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I really enjoyed reading each and everyones post. Fun stuff. Wish you all happy gardening. Spring soon for most of us. Southeast gonna feel it this weekend and next week.
I LOVE living in New England, but I DO wish our gardening season were longer! Doesn't feel like spring at all up here, after this past Wednesday's big storm (we had a snow day at my job -- I did online classes for the day and I think my students were bummed at not having it completely off! ). Thursday night we had an overnight low of 1 (I was out very early on Friday and I think it was up to 2 degrees by then, LOL!) and last night (Friday night) we got another inch or two of snow. HOWEVER, today we're expecting mid-40s/mid-30s so hopefully the leftover ice will be gone soon (I don't mind snow but ice scares the crap out of me!).

I just got a Breck's catalog and was looking through it seeing lots of things I'd like to buy. They have a lifetime guarantee, which is very appealing after my experience with Spring Hill 3 years ago: Spring Hill had a 1-year guarantee, then it suddenly changed to 30 days, which of course does no good at all when things aren't expected to grow for a year! They actually DID replace my tulips since so few came up, but given that their stated guarantee has now changed, I won't be ordering from them again.

I DO like buying things from my local nurseries (I've even had good luck with plants at Home Depot, especially annuals), but they sell mostly mature plants so they are expensive.

Anyone else had good experience with Breck's? The catalog I just got is mostly for small plantings -- I had good luck with the small heucheras I got from Spring Hill (just not the tulips or other flowers). I may also try some seeds this year since they are inexpensive.

And Cambium, when will you start this year's veggie garden thread? I always subscribe and I love reading it and especially seeing all your PICTURES!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:04 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,448,507 times
gentlearts = "Honestly, I wouldn’t be scared of them... Almost every yard I’ve ever had had some burning bushes, and I have not known them to be invasive, or cause any trouble at all."

You should have stopped at proclaiming your ignorance: "I have not known..."

Burning bush is on many states' invasive species lists, from discouraging them (Indiana) to regulating them (NY - illegal to sell) to Massachusetts (banned from import, sale, or trade).

https://www.mass.gov/massachusetts-p...ted-plant-list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden