Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,448,507 times

Advertisements

A cold hardiness zone doesn't tell you anything about a plant's heat tolerance or water needs.

For example, a plant may seem to do fine in my zone 7, but in my area we usually have a 'wet' season and a 'dry' season. During the wet season we get as much rain as Haiti (lots) but you must plan for the dry season drought (or use irrigation). Also the dry season sometimes corresponds with the hot season - so it becomes a tough environment for many plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 11:29 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
What a coincidence: just a couple of days ago I decided to keep my mood up by starting to count weeks until spring... "12" is a small enough number to appear encouraging, right??

But April is not when I can actually start planting anything yet (Alaska)... but, at least, can start building the tiered planters/garden beds that I envisioned! Hopefully. Most of the snow should melt by then
I have noticed that gardening is much like vacationing. The anticipation is usually better the the actual thing.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:15 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,864,028 times
Its harvest here! I have lemons, oranges and avocados. Camelia is blooming. Kentia palm is going in next month and I just reseeded the grass. The roses are coming back too.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
My gardening dream for 2018 is to go all out with bottle gourds.

I'll have a small "salsa" garden and my medicinal herbs, but it will mainly be bottle gourds and I am building a big framework over my boxes to support them.

Source:http://www.kisancentral.com/wp-conte...ds..jpg?x64378

Old 01-11-2018, 02:40 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,651,066 times
I look forward to spring. Just retired and am in a holding pattern. Putting in flowers and veggies will fill a large part of my day.

Going with just Vinca (Periwinkles) this year as they are no-muss-no-fuss as long as they have monthly fertilizer and daily water.

Going with starts for the veggies this year. Didn't have much success with seeds. Okra did ok from seed but it took forever for the plant to start producing.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:57 PM

836 posts, read 1,779,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Its harvest here! I have lemons, oranges and avocados. Camelia is blooming. Kentia palm is going in next month and I just reseeded the grass. The roses are coming back too.
Aaahh, I miss CA!

Old 01-11-2018, 07:58 PM

836 posts, read 1,779,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My gardening dream for 2018 is to go all out with bottle gourds
Whatcha gonna do with them?

Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,262,338 times
I’m one year into retirement in Florida and will grow a few things this year. We have two growing seasons here, warm weather crops and cool weather crops which is confusing to me. Fortunately I’ve located some really good planting guides to help me sort it out.

Most of my catalogs have arrived and I’m looking them over. HD and Lowe’s have a lot of veggie plants for sale right now.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,561,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We had an unusual 2” snowfall last week, but yesterday it was 63 degrees. My spring fever started stirring. Last frost date here is around St Patrick’s Day.

I have a back corner in the yard that saw two failed dogwood trees last year. I just ordered a camellia from Springhill to try, so I’m looking forward to getting it in a month or two.

No No No, Gentlearts, you can't start this thread until February! It's going to be 0 degrees (windchill) here in DC this weekend, and I've got way too many indoor projects to get through before turning my thoughts back to the yard. You, stop it. Stop it now!

Old 01-12-2018, 10:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Re: bottle gourds

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
Whatcha gonna do with them?
Make primitive canteens, bowls, birdhouses, musical instruments, etc. Whatever the shape inspires me to do.

I'd like to decorate them using both string (think net or macrame-type holder/straps) and a wood burning stylus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden