Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 03:10 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
No No No, Gentlearts, you can't start this thread until February! It's going to be 0 degrees (windchill) here in DC this weekend, and I've got way too many indoor projects to get through before turning my thoughts back to the yard. You, stop it. Stop it now!

Take a deep breath, and go to your happy place, NC.💐
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 03:22 PM

532 posts, read 446,781 times
I live in Fairbanks Alaska, the gardening season is short but intense.
The sun is out at midnight for several weeks of the summer!

Saw some seeds for sprouts in a health food market several weeks ago and I have just started doing that (sprout growing)

Nice to see something growing and can get it to the table in several days.

-10 and sunny today, a typical winter day is -10 to +10, we will have a few stretches of -20,-30 -40 and then warm back up a little

No real outdoor planting until close to Memorial Day

Old 01-12-2018, 04:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Yes, I started dreaming in the fall and have a few veggie seeds (various pepper seeds) planted in containers in a well lit (as well lit as it can be during winter) and warm window container. I just love watching their little bursts of eruption from the soil.

First time I've ever done this in the winter other than lemon seeds I planted as a fluke and they actually grew. Currently they're 3' tall (4 plants), however, I don't know if they will ever bare fruit.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My gardening dream for 2018 is to go all out with bottle gourds.

I'll have a small "salsa" garden and my medicinal herbs, but it will mainly be bottle gourds and I am building a big framework over my boxes to support them.

Source:http://www.kisancentral.com/wp-conte...ds..jpg?x64378
looks awesome. I miss gardening in NM. By far the best garden I ever had was the 7 years we lived just south of ABQ.

As for here, I sure am planning and looking forward to this season. We are taking down our old dog run that we have used for our garden. Because of my back, we will have a couple raised containers I ordered yesterday. I am a little concerned they are not that deep but the reviews from people seem to indicate they are deep enough to grown tomatoes. I will plant tomatoes, peppers, Okra and lots of herbs. No, not all in the containers I ordered but I have a few other ones that will work as well.

We are hiring someone to take the dog run down and help us get the mess cleaned up. They I will really think SPRING. So far haven't ordered any seeds. I usually just get them at the local nursery. I used to order, but don't think they were that much different than what I get locally and locally is a heck of a lot cheaper. I am really looking forward to getting the yard ready. Right now we are hearing snow possible for the next 3 or 4 days and the temps in the 20s or very low 30s if that high.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:53 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
Well I am still just thinking about it. Still cleaning up leaves and Pine needles all over the yard and it's very wet. In a couple more weeks, I will get serious !

Old 01-13-2018, 03:10 PM

534 posts, read 489,557 times
I am dreaming! Also working. My property is 50 years of 6" rock (mostly river pebbles) mulch over black plastic, I am overwhelmed, so I'm going the path of least resistance and just scraping back the rocks a few feet at at time, pulling up the plastic, and putting the rocks back. At least the earth beneath the plastic can start living again! The 50 year accumulation of soil and broken down pine needles between the rocks is much nicer than the earth that's underneath the plastic. I reason that if I just pull up all the plastic, I can remove the rocks for each planting I make in the future.

I had dreams of a cactus garden when I moved to the high desert, but it gets cold enough that my options are limited to a few species. No column types or barrels, alas. Also I am more attracted to the spineless varieties, but the jackrabbits eat every speck of new growth, fruit, flowers, pads. I just discovered the local cactus society, so I'll be joining that.

I don't have an irrigation system, but I recently made 5 gallon irrigation buckets, which is working really well for the saplings and tiny russian sage plants planted last spring. It's great for winter watering.

I have dreams of the rocky yard being full of of an ocean of native poppies or some other vibrant, tough spring flower, and more shade trees, and removing the plastic is the nightmare but necessary part of that dream.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:39 AM

our outdoor handy man and gardener comes tomorrow to tear down the old dog run and help more some stuff around including hauling away some of our old planters. Now I can really start thinking spring. We will start our tomatoes from seed in a few weeks. We like to get them in the ground by early to mid April.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:32 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,468,122 times
I love winter but I also look forward to spring gardening. I planted some tulip bulbs in September, hopefully they do well come April. I wanna plant grass in the front yard. Definitely looking forward to all the gardening but for now I am enjoying the 6 or so inches of snow we have.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I love winter but I also look forward to spring gardening. I planted some tulip bulbs in September, hopefully they do well come April. I wanna plant grass in the front yard. Definitely looking forward to all the gardening but for now I am enjoying the 6 or so inches of snow we have.
you go right on enjoying your snow: we have about 2 inches and that is enough when our temps are right at zero and wind chill bringing it down to about 10 below. For you that isn't cold but for us it is miserable.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
I planned my entire 2018 garden back in summer of 2017. I'm ready. Seeds will be started soon. I'm experimenting with winter sowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden