Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 01:57 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
But a lot of people wouldn't want workers inside their home if they (homeowners) weren't there. (I actually have several workers that I've worked with for years and I DO trust them to be there when I'm not, but the first time using someone, no way.)

But that really doesn't make sense if this is all about preventing the spread of the virus, since the virus could be all over the (asymptomatic) workers or all over the inside of the house (asymptomatic homeowners) or both. So ... what is the logic?

Can you please give an example? You've got me very curious about these "rules." This is in Delaware? (Just going by your location.)
I can only speak for my state of California. We have a stay at home order.

I have a dead tree which obviously needs to come down. I spoke with the tree people expecting to just get on the schedule as I'm sure they'll be backed up once normal life can resume. While they aren't doing any actual tree work, they will send an arborist out to look at the tree so I can get on the removal schedule.

We won't have any in-person contact. The deal is that he will call from his truck when he gets here. I'll open the gate and retreat to the house. If he has any questions he'll text me. Then he'll email me the estimate. I'll sign it electronically and then will be put on the schedule. At least they're somewhat able to keep working which is more than most businesses.

And I agree . . . I don't want anyone working in my house or on my property when I'm not here. Way too many things that could go wrong. And especially in the time of coronavirus. No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 07:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
Please keep posting pictures of your progress. It is a very pleasant diversion right now from the daily gloom and doom. Somehow, I find it comforting to envision you enjoying your new pool while we all practice social distancing
LOL well at least we can enjoy our staycation!

OK, seriously - this is my plan for the day: Plant some annual flowers if it doesn't rain. (Getting five flats delivered today!) Read a book about a military family in the 1970s (I can relate). Learn how to make butter by googling it. GET IN HOT TUB TONIGHT.

Here is the hot tub that was delivered yesterday! STAYCATION!
Attached Thumbnails
Well, we're about to do it!-hot-tub-3-27-20.jpg  

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-28-2020 at 07:39 AM..

Old 03-28-2020, 11:24 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL well at least we can enjoy our staycation!

OK, seriously - this is my plan for the day: Plant some annual flowers if it doesn't rain. (Getting five flats delivered today!) Read a book about a military family in the 1970s (I can relate). Learn how to make butter by googling it. GET IN HOT TUB TONIGHT.

Here is the hot tub that was delivered yesterday! STAYCATION!
Sounds like a fun day, KA! Could you please tell me the name of the book? I grew up in a military family in that same time period (although I think I'm a few years older than you) and would like to read it too!

I would love to do some gardening, but we've still got to contend with a few more frosty nights up here!

Old 03-28-2020, 11:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
so a paver guy came today and gave me an estimate. the pavers he used are the basic 6 x 9 cambridge roundtable. if i want better pavers, that would add to the cost. i was hoping for less of an expense.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a fun day, KA! Could you please tell me the name of the book? I grew up in a military family in that same time period (although I think I'm a few years older than you) and would like to read it too!

I would love to do some gardening, but we've still got to contend with a few more frosty nights up here!
Oh no problem. The book is called "The Yokota Officer's Club" and it's specifically about a military family living in Japan - and part of that time is at Yokota AFB which is where we lived when I was a kid! Talk about bringing back memories...wow...

I got to plant some herbs before the rain but now it's been raining all afternoon and a cold front has come in so BRRRRRRR....!

Hot tub tonight, baby.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so a paver guy came today and gave me an estimate. the pavers he used are the basic 6 x 9 cambridge roundtable. if i want better pavers, that would add to the cost. i was hoping for less of an expense.
OH MY GOSH!

Now - pavers are really nice but our concrete pad and coping (reinforced with rebar and salt finished) cost about half that. That might be an idea. Of course, pavers or tile would have cost us more. But we had quite a bit of concrete poured -this included a 12 x 12 space for a pergola. I could probably figure out the square footage. Thankfully we had a big patio already but this also included a retaining wall across the back and about half way down each side now that I think of it - with a ledge to sit on. The retaining wall is only about a foot tall though.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:22 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OH MY GOSH!
I had that same reaction to the quote!

Here in the boonies of New Hampshire I could likely get a very large semi-inground pool put in with a free-standing deck built around it for $10-15,000 -- and I might do that, but it's hard to justify a pool when the swimming season up here doesn't last long. (For that reason I would never go in-ground here, as that would be at least $30-40k even for a small pool -- semi-inground pools, which I'd never heard of before a couple of years ago, seem to be popular.)

I bought pavers from Home Depot a couple of years ago but haven't yet had them installed -- life & lots of crap unfortunately interfered. My handyman company would do a great job, but I don't know if I want to spend the money this particular year. (A few months ago it would have been on my 99%-sure-to-do-it-this-year list! )

KA and CaptainNJ, I'm really enjoying following your progress! You both have beautiful homes.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I had that same reaction to the quote!

Here in the boonies of New Hampshire I could likely get a very large semi-inground pool put in with a free-standing deck built around it for $10-15,000 -- and I might do that, but it's hard to justify a pool when the swimming season up here doesn't last long. (For that reason I would never go in-ground here, as that would be at least $30-40k even for a small pool -- semi-inground pools, which I'd never heard of before a couple of years ago, seem to be popular.)

I bought pavers from Home Depot a couple of years ago but haven't yet had them installed -- life & lots of crap unfortunately interfered. My handyman company would do a great job, but I don't know if I want to spend the money this particular year. (A few months ago it would have been on my 99%-sure-to-do-it-this-year list! )

KA and CaptainNJ, I'm really enjoying following your progress! You both have beautiful homes.
Thank you so much!

Pavers would be beautiful but dang. That's a lot of money!

Maybe with a smaller pool, you could have a heater installed and extend your swimming season some? I have no idea what the utilities would cost but you could probably get a heater for about $3500 installed.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
this is definitely one of those times where i dont want to pay that much but im pretty sure that i will regret it if i didnt go with what i wanted to save money. im not sure there is much savings to be had with small adjustments to the plan. i guess we will see what the pool company's mason says.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:49 PM

If there's not a lot of difference in the overall cost, heck, get what you want. You have to live with it every day and if you look at how many days a year, what the cost per day would be, and your overall enjoyment I am sure you will make the best decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden