Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 09:05 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Grow your Morning Glories directly in the soil. Have you considered mixing them in with something you grow on trellises? Try not to smoke the seeds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 11:21 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Grow your Morning Glories directly in the soil. Have you considered mixing them in with something you grow on trellises? Try not to smoke the seeds
Hmm, never thought about direct sowing. I thought I'd get a jump start. Wish I saw this post before putting new seeds in cups 30 minutes ago. I still have some left.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:51 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hmm, never thought about direct sowing. I thought I'd get a jump start. Wish I saw this post before putting new seeds in cups 30 minutes ago. I still have some left.
Take them out. They do better when you soak them overnight anyway. SO tries to have a garden like yours and I mess with him every year by putting some out of order or adding something This year I will use a couple of corn stalks in the front yard as trellis for morning glories. Humming bird and bees love Morning Glories and someone will eat the corn.

I tried to give away grocery bags full of fresh herbs (drastic trimming to support new growth). No takers!

Have you looked into nasturtiums? Leaves, plants and seeds are edible, makes a fast growing colorful spot and the nodes at the root system are a good source of nitrogen. Please seemed directly as they do not like to get transplanted.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:16 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
Looking good, my friend! Glad you are staying safe and getting a little more time to work on the garden given the circumstances. I wish I could do the same, but working from home keeps me at least as busy as being in the office (save for the hour commute each way). Still mostly just getting things done during the weekends..

I am excited to see how your garden will do this year and it is inspiring to see how motivated you are! I will probably do a thread a bit later, but take it less seriously than in years past. Now that I am going into my 8th official garden season, the novelty of counting and weighing everything has worn off (which is good because it is a TON of work).. This year I'll probably just do weather, yard and overall garden updates with photos.

Cheers to the 2020 gardens! May this year be the most bountiful yet!

Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Looking good, my friend! Glad you are staying safe and getting a little more time to work on the garden given the circumstances. I wish I could do the same, but working from home keeps me at least as busy as being in the office (save for the hour commute each way). Still mostly just getting things done during the weekends..

I am excited to see how your garden will do this year and it is inspiring to see how motivated you are! I will probably do a thread a bit later, but take it less seriously than in years past. Now that I am going into my 8th official garden season, the novelty of counting and weighing everything has worn off (which is good because it is a TON of work).. This year I'll probably just do weather, yard and overall garden updates with photos.

I am so glad to see you back . Im just started my tomato seeds and im praying i get them to do well this year .

Old 04-05-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post

Thanks! Being home is allowing me to spend more time on the plants. Making me want to expand my whole setup too. Looking forward to seeing your thread if you do one. I know some stuff is repetitive for us but each year has a different challenge or something different.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:10 AM

Sunday April 5, 2020 Update:

The weather has been chilly and raining more than warm with sun. Soil temp is still in the 40s. Spring in past 7 yrs has been frustrating here. It's like we don't warm up until May then Summer humidity and heat hit. We have 1 month of Spring basically.

Anyway........

My the Peppers are growing nicely! Scroll up to see the difference each week made.

Only 5 weeks since seeding but its time they move up into cups....

Nice root system. You can see it was time to pot up.

Nothing fancy guys...no table...no greenhouse... Just relaxing on my living room floor doing this.

So half way in I realized something.........

The potting soil I used! Previous years I was using this... A Mix that "fed a few months" which means it had fertilizer in it. This doesn't seem to say or do that. . So now I have to feed them and risk under feeding or burning them.

Yup... "compost from landfills". Found some natural debris in there. No idea what that big lump is. lol.

After 1.5hrs....(not like we don't have the time now), all done..

56 Peppers. I have more I started at a later time but they are still small

Closeup so we can compare in the upcoming weeks. Wish me luck... I am keeping a close eye on them with this new soil... I'm not going to re-do them all but am considering it since I do have the time now. lol

Lessons, Regrets, and Learning all part of gardening.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:39 AM

The other day I went to my usual spot each year... Free Horse Manure.

That's a lot of piles of _____. Under the tarp is the aged stuff which you can put directly onto you shrubs trees and soil. It was too muddy there from the rains overnight so I took the fresh stuff...

And dumped it onto my compost pile. I will be "fluffy" this up soon.

In the fall I add it to the garden beds once it all turns to dirt.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:45 AM

Flower seedlings looking good...

Those Bachelor buttons look interesting. I have to look into caring for them now. Found this useful info

I started hardening off these morning glories outside. They are just getting too big now. Still drops to 40s though so I have to be careful. I did start new ones so not worried if I lose these. I might give them to a neighbor

Old 04-06-2020, 05:03 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
I am loving the new photos, Cambium! They give me hope for my own garden someday ... although I say that every year ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden