Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,196 times

Advertisements

Orchids!!! That sounds great. My Dad loved his orchids in Brazil and of course, being in the jungle we saw them inthe wild so to speak. They do have a pool that is screened in. My daughter refuses to go way in the back of the yard because she encountered a snake. Probably harmless but she didn't care! Also had one in the pool. It is all beautiful but VERY different from here. I bet Wellington has changed!!! sometimes I feel like I am in lalala land down there. They must emply people to just do nothing but prune constantly!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 05:49 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
I've really enjoyed this back-and-forth between mawoods and 33458! Thank you for sharing all that here!

I feel like I've been on a mini-vacation!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times

Happy to report that I now have my hummingbirds in full effect...no idea why they were so late in coming around, but see several different birds, different colorations. If I'm lucky, I'll snap off a few well-timed images to add to our collection here.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:50 AM

That is GREAT! I am having more too and I think it is because of some birds have already started migrating from further north and stopping on way down. Very interested in your different colorations-- The birds are really really drinking alot more now and it is to get ready for the migration which around here for our birds is the first week or so of September. even so I see a straggler in October many times. I am thinking of leaving it up all winter because of so many reports of hummers around then. What are your thoughts?

Old 08-13-2009, 08:04 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
My only concern would be the effect of freezing on your feeder...mine are glass, so that wouldn't work...but even the plastic ones aren't really that durable. And last year we had some hard freezes - you'd have to take 'em in every night...if that doesn't bother you, then it might be worth it. Either they will come or they won't - would be interesting to see.
Might have to change the location, too...more protected. Not sure about your area but it gets blustery on this hill.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:56 AM

I know that in Atlanta every year there were sightings of hummers in the middle of winter. Also, there were some newspaper articles about sightings of hummers that weren't ruby throated hummers. I think I will put a plastic one and see. No big deal to check on it everyday. I can see it from my kitchen window.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:11 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,825 times
My numbers have dwindled significantly. I'll take down one of the feeders today. We've had some chilly nights and can already see some of the aspen turning yellow. I love fall, but I am not quite ready for it yet! I always miss the birds so much when they leave.
How's it by you summerz?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:43 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,237,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
My numbers have dwindled significantly. I'll take down one of the feeders today. We've had some chilly nights and can already see some of the aspen turning yellow. I love fall, but I am not quite ready for it yet! I always miss the birds so much when they leave.
How's it by you summerz?
We have been having some very nippy weather also, some of the Birds are packing up and saying adios.
Feeling lonely already........sigh.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:01 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,237,341 times
The weather has been pretty nice **this week, still have some flurries of Birdies, I would say five or six still.
As always will be hard to say goodbye.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:07 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Here in my part of IN it is dipping down to the 40s at night. Our activity at both feeders have slowed way down. I know it is getting close to when we will not see any hummers at all in a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden