Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 05:20 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times

Advertisements

Pipe cleaner? Do they still even make them?

New around here, I didn't take time to read all the previous posts, but did anyone try to answer the question of why do hummingbirds hum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 05:35 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,554 times
According to this zoologist, it's a sound produced by the tail feathers of the male during courtship..... not a vocalization.

https://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/how...tuals-1420103/

Old 06-12-2017, 07:31 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Pipe cleaner? Do they still even make them?

New around here, I didn't take time to read all the previous posts, but did anyone try to answer the question of why do hummingbirds hum?
Talking about the main bottle, not nectar/flower holes. I bought a pack of mas ara testing brushes for those little holes, works great!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:57 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,094,758 times
I have not seen any females here either. Two males that I am sure of and that's it. Weird!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:10 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I have not seen any females here either. Two males that I am sure of and that's it. Weird!
What in the heck is going on? I wonder if they had a rough winter in their winter habitat.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Talking about the main bottle, not nectar/flower holes. I bought a pack of mas ara testing brushes for those little holes, works great!
For the small holes, I buy those dental brushes that go between your teeth (like GUM Proxabrushes). They work great and I get them on sale at the drugstore. The main part of my feeders is open and flat (I use Hummzingers only). So easy to clean.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
What in the heck is going on? I wonder if they had a rough winter in their winter habitat.
Either that, or one of my neighbors has better grub.

I also use hummzinger feeders. The gravity fed ones would always leak when the temp rose, which brought in a massive amount of bees, that the hummers had to constantly fight off. Yeah they (hummzingers) are a little pricey, but they do carry a lifetime warranty, and are very easy to clean.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:19 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

They don't know the words.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Either that, or one of my neighbors has better grub.

I also use hummzinger feeders. The gravity fed ones would always leak when the temp rose, which brought in a massive amount of bees, that the hummers had to constantly fight off. Yeah they (hummzingers) are a little pricey, but they do carry a lifetime warranty, and are very easy to clean.
I have had my hummzingers for at least 7 years and they still look great and work fine. I just clean them thoroughly after the season and put them away until next year (I clean them each time I fill them, too, of course). With this sudden hot weather, I am replacing the nectar every day. Still only seeing males.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I have had my hummzingers for at least 7 years and they still look great and work fine. I just clean them thoroughly after the season and put them away until next year (I clean them each time I fill them, too, of course). With this sudden hot weather, I am replacing the nectar every day. Still only seeing males.
Off topic, but.
Have you noticed an over abundance of fledged robins this year? I'm talking many!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden