Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 11:29 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times

Advertisements

Well............................ still have my 3 green tomatoes on the plant just don't see much color change. I did however today notice the blooms have died and a few blew off so now I am wondering if the stem was snapped under the soil by that storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
A photo I took from a commercial farm when I was getting tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini. What I should have take of the bees would have been to have got to the other side and got the huge spray rig in the background parked beside the hives. I doubt any of this is there now as the phosphate mine was about to move in and strip mine it.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
A photo I took from a commercial farm when I was getting tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini. What I should have take of the bees would have been to have got to the other side and got the huge spray rig in the background parked beside the hives. I doubt any of this is there now as the phosphate mine was about to move in and strip mine it.
yum, yum: I have so few squash this year, but we do still have the bees and I still keep getting blossoms so I am keeping my hopes up. I haven't seen anymore bugs for a few days.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:18 PM

515 posts, read 778,464 times

Just an update on my bean patch. My wife and I canned 49 quarts off off those 5 rows of beans and gave another half bushel of beans to my daughter. Not too bad for 2 lbs. of seed.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:25 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
That's a nice yield HomersBoy bet you had a couple of fresh pots of green beans for supper before they all came on to can too.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:13 AM

Time to buy some malt vinegar and a sauce bottle.... and a pair of white cotton gloves.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM

515 posts, read 778,464 times
Very nice Nomadicus. I can feel the "heat" just from looking at the pic.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:02 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,012,558 times
I havent had much of a chance to check my garden for the last week or so. Big mistake! Squash bugs have invaded! I've looked around on the web and found a few "remedies" that I'm going to try. I already lost two huge squash plants that were loaded with both squash and bugs. I've got about 6 more squash plants I'm going to try and save. Hope they don't make it to my tomatoes, cukes and string beans. They are growing and producing fantastic! Learning as I go....

Old 07-25-2013, 07:43 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
The weather has cooled down a lot, which is ok because I still have masses of kale. Masses and masses of kale. I guess I'll be freezing more of it. The only problem is that I'm lazy and it is a bit of a pain to wash. I don't relish the thought of eating bugs or slugs, so I have to wash each curly leaf thoroughly. It is time-consuming.

The squashes which escaped the borers are producing nicely. I've gotten a couple of cukes so far, but they're not going crazy like I'd thought they would. Maybe later in the summer. I have green peppers, which are taking their time ripening and a lot of green tomatoes. Some of which self-sowed from last year. I can't wait to see what they all taste and look like. No sign of the serrano peppers yet.

The eggplant that I have in a container is the only one with out flea beetle damage. Wow...I'd almost forgotten what a healthy eggplant leaf looks like. Hopefully it will bear some fruit. The beans are producing well as usual and the swiss chard is a little ratty looking but tastes great.

I'm getting peaches and a couple of blackberries now. The blackberry bush has gotten really big. I like it because it spreads, and I can divide bits of it and get new plants. I didn't bag the asian pears and they're pitted with bug holes and look pretty terrible. I hope I get at least a few decent ones.

The herbs are doing well for the most part. Unfortunately japanese beetles seem to love the lemon balm. I need to remember to dry some more of my other herbs so I can have tea in the winter. The garlic chives are getting ready to flower. Reminder to self to eat some in an omlette.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 PM

Yea, the bugs and slugs gotta go. I like collard greens over kale because of the smooth leaves and are easier to wash in an old galvanized wash tub. Next house is going to have an outdoor laundry tub to wash garden produce in before it comes in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden