Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 07:22 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times

Advertisements

I am getting loads of sweet green bell peppers out of 2 pepper plants. This is the harvest from a few weeks ago. Yesterday we took another load to church to share.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 10:47 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I don't like any kind of pepper but those in the picture DO look good.

My Black Cherry heirlooms have done great this summer in pots. I think someone on here identified them for me last year because they were mismarked and I had no idea what these little purple tomatoes were.

I saved the seeds in the fridge and planted them in some compost (we just use an old garbage can to make compost) but I always do use a dose of Miracle Grow for Tomatoes when they start producing, just to help them along.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:57 PM

8 posts, read 6,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The groundhog has been back a couple more times and has just about cleaned me out. I've got two peppers and one basil plant left. I think it's only a matter of time.
"it's only a matter of time..." this had me LOL!

Poor garden. I hope you are able to fend them off!

Old 09-04-2016, 03:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Okay, avid gardening people, help solve The Case of the Mystery Tomato!

We bought what was labeled a Celebrity plant. But here is what we got:

Huge, half-pound and larger fruits, deeply lobed, prone to cracking and marking, and the plant itself behaving like an indeterminate 'heirloom.' There are new blossoms on it now. And it's in a pot. Yikes. What is it, and how are we gonna provide support for it?

Whatever they are, they're goooood.
Without seeing the leaves, it's hard to say. Kind of looks like German Johnson.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:12 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGrows View Post
"it's only a matter of time..." this had me LOL!

Poor garden. I hope you are able to fend them off!
The basil dried out. I still have the peppers, though.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:30 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't like any kind of pepper but those in the picture DO look good.

My Black Cherry heirlooms have done great this summer in pots. I think someone on here identified them for me last year because they were mismarked and I had no idea what these little purple tomatoes were.

I saved the seeds in the fridge and planted them in some compost (we just use an old garbage can to make compost) but I always do use a dose of Miracle Grow for Tomatoes when they start producing, just to help them along.
You have got to try these!
How to Cook Spanish-Style Pimientos de Padrón | Serious Eats

I don't know any place in the States that does this simple dish right, but in Spain, it's the one thing I miss maybe the most and would make plans to have the first day back.
Grew them in NorCal this year, but not enough of them, unfortunately. The plants I grew weren't very prodigious producers.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:42 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
The grasshoppers came and ate our tomato plants down to the nubs. It was bizarre, the plants were there one day and the next day the tomato plants were done! Gone.

Grasshoppers do not like bell pepper plants. They didn't even nibble on it.

HB2, those bell peppers look great. I remember one year we ended up having a freezer full of stuffed bell peppers. I had my fill that year.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:30 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I just pulled out all the plants yesterday, I am left with some basil, rosemary and mint. It has finally gotten below 90s here, so after I finish pulling weeds and freshening the bed, I'll stick a few cool weather plants in.
Sadly, I am giving up tomatoes for good. Nothing I do will make them grow here.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just pulled out all the plants yesterday, I am left with some basil, rosemary and mint. It has finally gotten below 90s here, so after I finish pulling weeds and freshening the bed, I'll stick a few cool weather plants in.
Sadly, I am giving up tomatoes for good. Nothing I do will make them grow here.
While you are giving up on tomatoes, I will give up on squash I think. I had so much in NM I prayed for the squash bugs to come and eat them. Here, I am doing good to get 1/2 dozen each year: none this year.

I have slowly but surely pulled out a lot of my stuff; I still have plenty of tomatoes if you can find them through the weeds. Our herbs are still great but other than that, even our okra is about had it. I won't start moving the containers for about a month. We have to borrow our sils dolly, dump the dirt from the ones that are weeds, etc. We are pretty busy for the next few weeks.

The front; all flowers are gone as well as the basil. I did pull out the summer plants along the railing yesterday and replaced them with fall flowering plants that need no water. I think some call them plastic.
I do have a couple of nice mum plants for the front steps. That is it until next spring.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:29 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I'm still picking the black cherry tomatoes, just got another bowl full today. This is just from three plants.

Right now I'm cooking beets. There are only a few more beets left in the ground.

I only have a teeny yard now but it's surprising what you can grow alongside the house.

I do wish I had planted rosemary this year. It won't survive the winter in the house in this part of the country though. That's what "they" say and I have to agree, sadly enough. Although I did keep some alive in a terrarium (to keep it moist) once, took it to Virginia in the car and then it froze to death just before we reached home. I forgot to bring it into the motel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden