Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
got close to an inch of rain yesterday evening and sunny today with sunshine and a forecast high of 75 degrees. My garden is going crazy! Picking lettuce, spinach, kale, snow peas, cucumbers, squash, peppers, onions. Tomatoes, pumpkin, watermelon, cantaloupes, kentucky wonder beans covered in blossoms. Sunflowers are now 7 feet tall.
show off~!!!!!!!:d
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 11:50 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Jim, it looks so nice. Mine is a total disaster, I do still have some tomatoes, my herbs are doing great and I think the Okra will survive. My cukes are hesterical. they are doing great, in numbers, but you would swear i planted some kind on mini ones.They are not much bigger than my baby finger. Most of the garden is just too water logged to do much, but again, this is my first year at container gardening and I think I have learned a lot. Now, let's see if I remember all I have learned next year.
The rain this year has been insane pretty much anywhere east of UT/AZ. We've had more than our fair share, that's for sure! You should start looking at Earthboxes (or building your own version) if you plan on taking the container gardening seriously for years to come. Using a self-watering container with a plastic "mulch" cover completely alleviates any and all issues related to over or under-watering; it also alleviates or eliminates soil-born diseases. Of course, other issues like blight, leaf spot, powdery mildew, bugs, etc. can still be present. I would highly recommend doing some research - they're SO worth it. I still enjoy having non-self-watering containers for my onions and herbs, but for everything else (i.e. the more important stuff), the worry with respect to water is obsolete..

Old 07-14-2015, 08:33 PM

515 posts, read 777,852 times
My garden is literally drowning. We've had so much rain in the past week. Squash and cucumbers are gone. My corn had been down twice and is now standing in water, tomatoes are starting to blight and my bean patch is a mess but I was able to salvage enough to can 35 quarts. On a good note, my lawn looks great.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:21 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I have literally buckets of snow peas, lettuce, spinach, squash, cucumbers. This is GREAT! I have pumpkins, watermelon and cantaloupe too (not ready to pick but growing). WOO HOO! No tomatoes yet, but plants are loaded with blossoms.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:20 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
My tomatoes look so anemic, and the leaf spot has returned. They're producing though.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:27 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Reading all these garden woes, I almost feel bad reporting that our indeterminate tomatoes, while truly flopped over and subject to leaf fungus, are chucking tomatoes at us almost as fast as we can get them. The Container Choice 'patio' tomato is loaded with fruits but they seem to be ripening later than the big Blacks (Black Krim, Black Prince). The Cubanelle is literally spewing peppers and as it's our first-ever pepper, I'm happy.

The green and yellow beans took a breath, and are now flowering again. The potatoes look okay. Got basil and beets and parsley, and just planted carrots.

These are all in containers.

Not the blackberries, though. They are in the ground, growing by accident, and have an enormous yield. No way to tell if we'll have any grapes this year. I wish I could airlift y'all's some preserves.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
My tomatoes look so anemic, and the leaf spot has returned. They're producing though.
Same here, but I am still getting a few. In fact I am going to make tomato pie in a couple of days. I should have enough for 2 pies.

Of course my saga is still not over: today I went out to water the garden before the heat sat in and all of sudden I heard what sounded like a small explorsion. What happened? The hose literally broke in half. Is God trying to tell me something?

Old 07-18-2015, 06:09 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,194 times
Like others its been a wet season, the leaves from the squash, pumpkin, & tomatoes are quite tall, also very large, but I have yet to see any pumpkin growing. Have seen about 3 squash, a hand full of tomatoes have come on. Mosquitos are horrendous. I can't work in my garden to take weeds out, the mosquitos are just so bad.
So far it looks like I'll get a few tomatoes, not much of anything else.
Happy for those that have gardens that is thriving so well.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 3,832 times
I am in Ontario Canada and right now we are having VERY high Temperatures with a Major Thunderstorm with damaging Winds and Rain forecast Today,I will be devastated if it Ruins my Garden,it happened last Year and flattened everything.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:27 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
My teeny harvest.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden