Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 07:49 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,447,634 times

Advertisements

Good for you, HB. I've added cukes to the list of veggies that I can't grow. Yours look FABULOUS. I've planted all of the sweet potato slips. Some are in the pot ghetto container garden, and some are in the veggie garden.

The cherry tomato I transplanted to the garden has babies on it! This one self sows every year and has yellow cherry tomatoes that produce until frost. I love it. The tomatoes I actually grew inside from boughten seeds look like DOO. They are tiny and hopefully will survive to give me actual tomatoes. I broke down and sprinkled epsom salt around them.

The ton of squash I planted is looking good. No sign of borers...yet. I believe I planted a variety, which hopefully includes some BUTTERBUSH. I LOVE butternut squash. There is also a row of zucchini, which has had one flower so far.

The chard is looking good, and I've harvested all the garlic. The onions should be ready to harvest by next week. The okra are up, and so are the peppers. I may plant a bunch more peppers in the onion bed once they're up. Hopefully I can get them before frost. I may look for a fast-maturing variety. The herbs are looking good.

I planted out all of my watermelon seeds near the fence. This is to cut down on weeds and erosion, but hopefully I'll get a ton of edible watermelon. One or two seeds have germinated. I've had bad luck with watermelon so far, but I'm suspecting that the issue is that you have to plant a ton of vines. We shall see. At least the pack is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 06:06 PM

205 posts, read 273,425 times
Tomatoes are in! First year we planted Cherokee Purple heirlooms and they are wonderful! We also tried New Girl tomatoes. They are great for sandwiches and salads. They're very similar to Early Girls. And grape toms are always a treat too. Pretty good summer so far.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-image.jpg  

Old 07-01-2015, 04:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,041,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotsdamBear83 View Post
Tomatoes are in! First year we planted Cherokee Purple heirlooms and they are wonderful! We also tried New Girl tomatoes. They are great for sandwiches and salads. They're very similar to Early Girls. And grape toms are always a treat too. Pretty good summer so far.
Are you sharing, canning them or what? That is a lot of tomatoes all at once!!!

Old 07-01-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Are you sharing, canning them or what? That is a lot of tomatoes all at once!!!
We freeze a bunch during the summer, but there's always enough to giveaway when our kids and neighbors stop by to "go shopping".

Old 07-05-2015, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 3,859 times
Can you explain how you Freeze Tomatoes? I always have way too many and give most of my Crop away to Friends and Neighbours.I am the only one in my Family who likes them.right off the Vine.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:32 AM

4,202 posts, read 3,424,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzysgran View Post
Can you explain how you Freeze Tomatoes? I always have way too many and give most of my Crop away to Friends and Neighbours.I am the only one in my Family who likes them.right off the Vine.

I put whole, clean tomatoes into a bag or container. When they thaw, the skins slip right off and I use them for cooking.

There are other ways, but I find this to be the simplest and fastest. Even cherry tomatoes do well this way.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzysgran View Post
We use the ziplock vacuum bags. Obviously wash everything first. Grape tomatoes we freeze as is, measured for future recipes. The other tomatoes we quarter (at least), drain, then pack again for recipe sizes. One trick here is after you fill the bags (before they are vacuumed), put them in the freezer. When frozen, pull the bags out and vacuum them. This prevents the juices from ruining the vacuum seal. Works great!

Old 07-08-2015, 12:58 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,922,833 times
So after hail storms, weeks of 100 degree heat, high winds, dust storms, I got a half inch of rain yesterday and raining now. My garden is doing pretty darn well.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,041,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
So after hail storms, weeks of 100 degree heat, high winds, dust storms, I got a half inch of rain yesterday and raining now. My garden is doing pretty darn well.
Jim, it looks so nice. Mine is a total disaster, I do still have some tomatoes, my herbs are doing great and I think the Okra will survive. My cukes are hesterical. they are doing great, in numbers, but you would swear i planted some kind on mini ones.They are not much bigger than my baby finger. Most of the garden is just too water logged to do much, but again, this is my first year at container gardening and I think I have learned a lot. Now, let's see if I remember all I have learned next year.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:04 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,922,833 times
Got close to an inch of rain yesterday evening and sunny today with sunshine and a forecast high of 75 degrees. My garden is going crazy! Picking lettuce, spinach, kale, snow peas, cucumbers, squash, peppers, onions. Tomatoes, pumpkin, watermelon, cantaloupes, Kentucky Wonder beans covered in blossoms. Sunflowers are now 7 feet tall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden