Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 07:03 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine chain link keeping my squirrels out of anything... they're persistent little buggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 07:44 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I can't imagine chain link keeping my squirrels out of anything... they're persistent little buggers.

No it wouldn't keep squirrels out. My garden is in an open area not to many close trees so maybe why I have more deer and turkey than squirrels or rabbits.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:03 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
With 100 degrees everyday for the past few weeks my garden has really taken off along with weeds. The weeds seem to have grown to two feet overnight, so I plan to get up at sunrise tomorrow and pull weeds before it gets too hot. It's still in the 90's at 9pm here now and as much as puling weeds by the light of the silvery moon, howling coyotes, and the assorted creatures that roam around here, I'll wait to morning.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:01 PM

515 posts, read 778,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Wow....that is a fantastic garden. I hate when things are mislabeled. One year I was given bush beans instead of pole beans and it was very disappointing since i don't plant many.
Haha. One year I was given pole beans instead of bush beans. My bean patch was a mess and I had to cut and remove all the tangled bean vines. I replanted bush beans from another supplier.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:11 PM

515 posts, read 778,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Awesome! I find it interesting you put a bird house/feeder right above the garden when 99% of us trying to stop birds from coming near our gardens. LOL. I thought was spot lights at first. I even see a bird up there. Potatoes look great. Looks like a nice sunny spot.
The tall birdhouses you see in the 1st pic are Purple Martin houses. I've been hosting Purple Martins for 6 or 7 years now. The small birdhouses along the back of my garden seen in the 2nd pic, are for Tree Swallows. Both species are insectivores and are very beneficial to have. Mosquitoes are almost non existent up until August when Tree Swallows leave for their fall migration. The Purple Martins eat a lot of japanese beatles and other insects that are destructive to my hazel nut shrubs along the back of my garden. They usually leave a week or 2 after the Tree Swallows for their migration back to South America. Purple Martins are almost 100% dependant on humans for housing. I love listening to their chatter while working in my garden.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:16 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
If any of you super-successful tomato growers have a great salsa recipe you'd be willing to share, please check out my thread in the recipe forum and share the wealth!

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...sa-fresca.html

Tomorrow I'm going to cook my homegrown potatoes... look just like store bought!

Old 06-19-2017, 07:53 PM

In my garden at 5am pulling weeds until about 10am when it was just too darn hot. But it sure looks a LOT better. My back hates me. I did manage to grab a snake along with the weeds, that was fun.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:13 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
In my garden at 5am pulling weeds until about 10am when it was just too darn hot. But it sure looks a LOT better. My back hates me. I did manage to grab a snake along with the weeds, that was fun.
Snakes eh, our garden borders Copperhead Estates. Weed pullers wanted. Actually we've not seen a snake yet but I'm sure the day will come. We've got grapes started in the garden and a neighbor tells me snakes is why she want grow grapes.....

Meanwhile, things are growing. My first ever poblano pepper plant has peppers on it. Stole a hill of potatoes to cook with some store bought pole beans.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:44 AM

It was, what I call, a bull snake. Harmless and eats rodents and such. It was only about 5 feet long. I put it in another spot in the garden.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:46 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, after seeing rabbits galore in our yard, I erected some netting over our raised bed - hope it keeps pests out - at least the furry mammal type.

I want to keep things very natural. So far I haven't had a problem with too many bugs, though something did gnaw some on my jalapeno plant leaves. What are your recommendations for bug control? Would food grade diatomaceous earth be effective enough for most things like snails, slugs, aphids, that sort of thing? Should I wait to see evidence of these pests, or should I be proactive? This is my first "real" vegetable garden and I have some little peppers and little tomatoes and I am feeling very protective of them!
I was taught many decades ago not to spray at the site of a bug (pests). From a practical standpoint the ag teacher made his case that the cost of any treatment could cost more than the damage... Now if I had only one plant of several things I'd be extra cautious but never spray just in case. I look every morning and evening. As far as the diatomaceous earth I have no experience. I think that is for things like cutworms in small areas. There are synthetic organic insecticides that are the same as natural extracts from various plants. Some would say not natural unless extracted directly from the plants. My chemistry teaching says H2O or water is the same whether coming from hydrogen combining with oxygen in the atmosphere or if I have a tank of each and ignite a torch burning them like a flame raining water as ash. Pyrethrums are expensive and short lived but deadly for a few minutes. I fear used the wrong way at the wrong time will continue to cause much harm to bees we need. Next year I buy a bee hive not for the honey but just to be in control of my pollination with fruit trees and vegetables. I've discovered here no special license is required but a simple registration is required by the state of TN. I've seen one honey bee on our lot this year. Now that is sad. I've kept Japanese beetles at bay this year by decapitating them by hand. 5 sweet cherry trees targeted. Being retired I can check every hour and eliminate the evil critters. 25 or so other fruit trees unaffected. To have blindly sprayed all the trees would have been a big financial mistake. I wish bug control classes were available by every county extension office in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden