Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2022, 01:09 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times

Advertisements

We have been battling tomato horn worms by picking them off day and night. We go out right after dark and strip them off as they strip our plants and again in the early morning and pick more off. After decades of raising tomatoes I've never had them hit this hard before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 01:29 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
We have been battling tomato horn worms by picking them off day and night. We go out right after dark and strip them off as they strip our plants and again in the early morning and pick more off. After decades of raising tomatoes I've never had them hit this hard before.
They glow under black light, if that helps you any.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-14-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They glow under black light, if that helps you any.
They are easy to see with a flashlight even. The big problem is that there are about 16 generations or sizes of them to get rid of...

Old 06-14-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
They are easy to see with a flashlight even. The big problem is that there are about 16 generations or sizes of them to get rid of...
I hate them, and they scare me. They fight back. I have to go out tonight, because while my tomatoes are fine, something voracious finds the pea plants tasty. See what I can find and spray with BTU.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I hate them, and they scare me. They fight back. I have to go out tonight, because while my tomatoes are fine, something voracious finds the pea plants tasty. See what I can find and spray with BTU.
It's easy to pick off the big ones. The tiny ones that will do a ton of damage and become big ones overnight that make my blood boil.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:56 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
You could try a mixture of tobacco seeped in water with soap and dish detergent and spray it on the plants. That worked reasonably well when we gardened in West Virginia. If it’s really bad, I’d consider a light dusting of Sevin On the foliage as a last resort

Old 06-14-2022, 01:58 PM

After 2 years of tomato worms, a wide variety of aphids and spider mites this year has been relatively pest free (knock on wood). I planted all kinds of flowers and our bee, bird and butterfly pop is super good.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You could try a mixture of tobacco seeped in water with soap and dish detergent and spray it on the plants. That worked reasonably well when we gardened in West Virginia. If it’s really bad, I’d consider a light dusting of Sevin On the foliage as a last resort

I have Sevin and am not opposed at all to using it. As a toddler I drank a container of DDT that a neighbor had mixed up to kill ants I think and am nor worse for the wear after they took me to the hospital and had my stomach pumped out. Sevin has always been my go to for most critters that want to take what is the fruit of my labors. I will say this. It must be applied so as not to affect the pollinators. There is a time and a way to apply it so the target gets zapped and the crop protected. I thought we would be out watering tonight but we must have just got an inch or more of rain. I think bed time is coming early without worry about the bugs til morning and no worries about rain on the peas(zipper cream peas, not green peas) and we have 2 rows of okra that is growing like weeks. This is a learn as we go with a different soil type and totally different climate that we have ever been in.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:32 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times
Quote:
I have Sevin and am not opposed at all to using it. As a toddler I drank a container of DDT that a neighbor had mixed up to kill ants I think and am nor worse for the wear after they took me to the hospital and had my stomach pumped out.
Funny. I lived overseas as a tyke. The local third world country I grew up in would send out DDT trucks to spray DDT everywhere. We school kids would trail after them and jump up and down in the milk-like puddles they left and wander home soaked head-to-toe in the stuff.

I am NOT saying that is a Good Thing.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:22 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
I have Sevin and am not opposed at all to using it. As a toddler I drank a container of DDT that a neighbor had mixed up to kill ants I think and am nor worse for the wear after they took me to the hospital and had my stomach pumped out. Sevin has always been my go to for most critters that want to take what is the fruit of my labors. I will say this. It must be applied so as not to affect the pollinators. There is a time and a way to apply it so the target gets zapped and the crop protected. I thought we would be out watering tonight but we must have just got an inch or more of rain. I think bed time is coming early without worry about the bugs til morning and no worries about rain on the peas(zipper cream peas, not green peas) and we have 2 rows of okra that is growing like weeks. This is a learn as we go with a different soil type and totally different climate that we have ever been in.
I start with the home brew first before the move to Sevin. A few years ago we were hit with an unGodly hatch of grasshoppers that were eating everything, especially my corn. Sevin put a stop to that.

But you’re right- it has to be applied at the right time, follow the instructions and you may have to shield other plants while applying.

In the past I’ve had unpleasant results with Sevin on collards or other greens where the chemical taste permeated the vegetable which made it entirely ruined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden