Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2022, 12:40 PM

221 posts, read 134,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
You can see in the picture above how large the zucchini plant is and how much room it takes in my 4x8’ bed. That’s why I usually don’t plant it. But I must say it has produced big time. We have buckets of zucchini! The peppers are supposed to turn purple so I’m waiting on them. Tomatoes always seem late; not a single red one yet, but they look healthy.
Thanks for the update. I'd probably plant the zucchini in a bucket next time since it takes up so much room. However you did get a good yield so that is to be considered too. Thanks for sharing that, it's inspiring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 05:44 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,216,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
You can see in the picture above how large the zucchini plant is and how much room it takes in my 4x8’ bed. That’s why I usually don’t plant it. But I must say it has produced big time. We have buckets of zucchini! The peppers are supposed to turn purple so I’m waiting on them. Tomatoes always seem late; not a single red one yet, but they look healthy.
My wife's 4' x 8' garden worked pretty good for the first season especially after I started to water it longer. She has mainly tomato plants along with the cucumber, banana peppers and a few jalapeno plants. All of these started producing again once I started watering it more.

Her cucumber plants has taken over about a third of it. Next year these will be planted in a separate container along with a trellis. She wants to plant turnip greens in the fall. What other fall crop can she plant in this bed?

Also the squirrels have found a way to get through the fencing. I will need to work on that somehow. My wife has been finding partially eaten tomatoes. I think the birds are getting the blooms also.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:33 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Loving the pics guys! Keep em coming.

Quick update on my end. July 24, 2022. Didn't do much this year.

Figs, Carrots, Fennel, Arugula, Swiss Chard, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Squash, Watermelon, Hot Peppers. All doing well

Old 07-24-2022, 06:47 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
'Didn't do much?' Looks like you need to open a farm stand.

Old 07-24-2022, 10:04 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Ha, barely. Didn't do Eggplants, Bell Peppers, Onions, Potatoes, String Beans or 30 Hot peppers this year

Old 07-24-2022, 11:56 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,552,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Ya. I feel like a lazy goat when I see some of the posts here!! Does inspire me, though. Lol.

Old 07-24-2022, 12:01 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,552,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My wife's 4' x 8' garden worked pretty good for the first season especially after I started to water it longer. She has mainly tomato plants along with the cucumber, banana peppers and a few jalapeno plants. All of these started producing again once I started watering it more.

Her cucumber plants has taken over about a third of it. Next year these will be planted in a separate container along with a trellis. She wants to plant turnip greens in the fall. What other fall crop can she plant in this bed?

Also the squirrels have found a way to get through the fencing. I will need to work on that somehow. My wife has been finding partially eaten tomatoes. I think the birds are getting the blooms also.
I have planted lettuce in August for a fall harvest. Years ago I planted brussel sprouts in the spring and harvested them around Thanksgiving! I think it may even have snowed and they were impervious. Thst was fun, but they are so big in a small bed. Lettuce is an easy choice for fall crop.

Old 07-24-2022, 01:40 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Default Ten-foot high tomato plant

What would cause this excessively tall plant? We just can't believe it as it keeps going up, up, up. It has blossoms on the very top too and lots of cherry tomatoes in the middle.

It is on a shadier balcony than the normal plants on the other balcony. Is that why?

Old 07-24-2022, 01:49 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What would cause this excessively tall plant? We just can't believe it as it keeps going up, up, up. It has blossoms on the very top too and lots of cherry tomatoes in the middle.

It is on a shadier balcony than the normal plants on the other balcony. Is that why?
Plants can get "leggy" when they are trying to reach the light. But as long as you have tomatoes!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-24-2022, 02:12 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

It can be a mutant also. Some plants can grow to 20'. 10' up and then another 10' back to the ground. A few seed in your hand can cost K's of $'s. They have been bred up for commercial green house production rather than home grown flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden