Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 AM

240 posts, read 419,978 times

Advertisements

When I had dark hair, I was mistaken for a Latina/Hispanic lady. And others would say, "Aren't you Italian?"...Which I am, half (LOL!). But it really showed when I had dark hair.

I am Italian, Irish, & Cherokee Indian (1/4).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
Me:
What's your background, and what do people take you for usually?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:37 PM

191 posts, read 357,213 times
I am all the time ....im mistaken for black ( is a color, not a race) im pretty sure that isnt a ethnicity isnt it African American?

Old 08-05-2011, 04:01 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,415 times
People mistaken me for Irish but Im actually German.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACollegeStudent View Post
I am all the time ....im mistaken for black ( is a color, not a race) im pretty sure that isnt a ethnicity isnt it African American?

Well, that all depends. Are you of African ancestry? If so, you are black. If you are not from America originally or not descended from blacks who have been in America for generations, you are black but not African American.

I find it hard for someone to be "mistaken for black."

Old 08-05-2011, 07:10 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What's your background, and what do people take you for usually?
Indian, which isn't understood because people understand "Hispanics" or "Mexicans" to be a race, and use those words as misnomers. When I told someone my mother was from Guatemala, a predominantly Mayan country, the answer was, "That's not Indian!"

Old 08-05-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
Indian, which isn't understood because people understand "Hispanics" or "Mexicans" to be a race, and use those words as misnomers. When I told someone my mother was from Guatemala, a predominantly Mayan country, the answer was, "That's not Indian!"
wow. Interesting.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:05 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
My ethnic background ftw. Im an american born and bread in the boogie down bronx. My parents are guyanese. My dad is part irish and black, I have an irish last name because of this. My mother is black, english, portugese brazilian and a touch of east indian. Everyone thinks im either puerto rican or sometimes dominican. Because of my thick nyc accent some even asked if I was italian! I was hungry and picked up some halal food, the egyptian food stand guy asked if I was arab, I said no. You talk very fast do you have irish in you? Im so incognito.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-06-2011 at 07:21 AM..

Old 08-12-2011, 11:36 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I hope this thread is okay for this forum.

Anyway, are you ever mistaken for a race/ethnicity/ancestry that you are not?

I'm 75% Scandinavian (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, & Finnish) and 25% French. Unlike most Scandinavians, I have dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, and an olive skin tone. Apparently, being one-quarter French was enough to give me all those features. Then again, it shouldn't be surprising because dark hair, dark eyes, and olive skin, are dominant to light hair, light eyes, and "paper white" skin.

In tenth grade (I'm going to be in twelfth this year), I was in a special education class. This one guy would refuse to believe that I was white, and it really got on my nerves. Even after I told him my ancestries, he would still refuse to believe that I was white. He said that I was Mexican, so I'm assuming he thinks I'm Mestizo. I'm not Mestizo. Heck, I still could be Mexican though. Not all Mexicans are dark-skinned, dark-eyed, dark-haired Mestizos. There are Mexicans of European descent. But guess what? I'm not Mexican; I'm American. I'm a European American of Scandinavian and French ancestry.

A girl also said that I looked Puerto Rican, which is understandable. Most Puerto Ricans are of European descent, mostly Spanish. I'm a quarter French, and France borders Spain. Lots of Spaniards are olive skinned, brown-eyed, and dark-haired. But I'm still not Puerto Rican.

*sighs*

What about you?
Not all mestizos are dark skinned either; I believe they come in all colors depending on how much Spanish and native blood they have. Anyway, I'm Mexican-American and I have been told by non-Hispanics that I look middle eastern (usually Syrian).

Old 08-14-2011, 03:24 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,631 times
The large majority of people in the Americas are "mestizos" in the most fundamental sense, possessing European and Amerindian admixture. But in most whites, the European admixture dominates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy