Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 01:33 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

I get called Russian (mail bride) when people hear my German accent. Not sure if I should feel insulted or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
I'm Swedish, Czech, Hungarian and Danish, had dark blond hair as an infant, brown hair and a red beard today, with brown eyes.

Not once have I not been fully recognized as an Anglo (thank God).

Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,324,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I look Puerto Rican, too, but I am pretty sure I look nothing like you. Most Puerto Ricans are triracial - European, African and Native. I am African, European and Native, and many PRs assume I am local when I am on the island.

There are relatively few Puerto Ricans - maybe 30% - who are mainly of European descent, mostly Spanish.
What is looking Puerto Rican? Puerto Ricans could be of any look or phenotype.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:55 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
What is looking Puerto Rican? Puerto Ricans could be of any look or phenotype.
Did you read my post and the one before it? I said essentially the same thing you just said.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:47 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
I've been mistaken for Irish before lol

Im East European and Ashkenazi

Old 01-17-2014, 10:55 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
I'm an American mutt, but my heritage is all European (white). I am a mix of German & Spanish mainly, with some Italian & Ukrainian.

I have been asked if I am 1/4 Korean more than once. In some photos, many people think I look vaguely Asian, but never full or even half. I get this most when I dye my hair dark. I have very fair, slightly golden/olive toned skin, high cheekbones, & large, almond shaped brown eyes & a wider nose (that looks flatter in photos, but has a defined bridge in person). I can see how this gives an "Asian effect", but my features are like my German dad's face! My coloring is from the Spanish side.

Otherwise, people guess French or Italian, if they guess, because they usually don't. I usually get asked what I am as people can't figure it out. Most American white people think I am slightly off-white, but non-whites usually think I am just white. I've had a few people studying anthropology or genetics (or something like that) tell me my features & coloring produce an interesting illusion to an untrained eye that suggests I am part Asian, but on closer inspection I am clearly Germanic & Mediterranean.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
I am half Mexican/Spanish/basque on one side and half European(Mostly German, Norwegian, English, Irish, French) on the other. A lot of people think I look Jewish and are always surprised when I tell them I am part Mexican.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:06 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
I'm of Irish, Scottish and English background, but I've had people think I was Norwegian or German (I'm pretty tall - 6' 4" with high cheekbones). Nothing too radically different than what I actually am. Given how the Vikings plundered/settled the British Isles it might be a fairly valid assumption.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:31 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I'm an American mutt, but my heritage is all European (white). I am a mix of German & Spanish mainly, with some Italian & Ukrainian.

I have been asked if I am 1/4 Korean more than once. In some photos, many people think I look vaguely Asian, but never full or even half. I get this most when I dye my hair dark. I have very fair, slightly golden/olive toned skin, high cheekbones, & large, almond shaped brown eyes & a wider nose (that looks flatter in photos, but has a defined bridge in person). I can see how this gives an "Asian effect", but my features are like my German dad's face! My coloring is from the Spanish side.

Otherwise, people guess French or Italian, if they guess, because they usually don't. I usually get asked what I am as people can't figure it out. Most American white people think I am slightly off-white, but non-whites usually think I am just white. I've had a few people studying anthropology or genetics (or something like that) tell me my features & coloring produce an interesting illusion to an untrained eye that suggests I am part Asian, but on closer inspection I am clearly Germanic & Mediterranean.
Jugding by your profile pick, you could easily pass for someone with partial Asian ancestry in my opinion.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 AM

8 posts, read 15,925 times
I'm a blonde haired blue eyed Native American (having a great-grandmother from Switzerland). In my family, there's one blondie each generation since she married my great-grandfather (this is on my dad's side). Both my parents and all my siblings have black hair. I've been mistaken for Swedish and Russian (with these cheek bones? and I tan as dark as an Alaska Native in the summer, so get outta here!).

My ex-husband *is* half-Swedish (and Irish, Norwegian) and has black hair and light brown eyes. No, he's not adopted. His paternal great-grandfather came from Sweden (maternal great-grandparents from Ireland and Norway)---he looks just like his Swedish great-grandfather. So does his 2nd cousin in Stockholm. He's always being mistaken for Native American, even by real Native Americans---until he gets a few sentences out in conversation and they realize he's not (we have a distinctive way of speaking to each other).

Anthropology class in college taught us that it's actually the blonde-blue-eyes-light-skin that is more dominant, and has the strongest genes. That's why guys tend to migrate more towards blonde women---it's being drawn to someone with strong genes that can survive hardships and is most likely to pass down good genes to the children . . . sort of a preservation of the species instinct. Dominant doesn't translate to commonly found, though. Again, the preservation thing.

My mechanic is half-Sicilian and gets mistaken for Mexican all the time. He doesn't even remotely look Mexican. I have a friend who's half-Aleut half-Russian, looks 100% Aleut, and gets mistaken for Mexican all the time. (And we're talking the Pacific Northwest here, not Texas or someplace). Oh, and btw---Sicilians are *not* Italians; they are their own thing. (Like Lithuanians aren't Russian.)

People tend to look at the color of the package and ignore the cheek bones, body type, and all other indication of their ancestry (including being decked out in full tribal jewelry and buckskin--hello! a non-Native is not going to know how to put all that together; they'd look like some cardboard cut-out from an old Italian-Hollywood spaghetti western). If you're over 6 ft and blond or strawberry blond, you must be Scandinavian (thinking of my "poor" neighbor, who's half Irish and half Pottawatomie).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy