Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Wow, I guess goat carts were a popular thing for kids in the early 20th century.

I just google-imaged "goat cart" and look at all the pictures!
goat cart - Google Search
Funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Wait
Wasnt it in this era when getting your picture taken meaning you have to hold still for approx. 30 mins?
I feel bad for the dog!
LOL no, this seems to be a common misconception. As I talked about earlier in the topic, by the late 19th/early 20th century, exposure times were short enough to give birth to the "snapshot". I believe my photos which I dated around 1910 were taken with the Kodak Brownie, a handheld camera released in 1900. Exposure times were fairly short in good lighting - granted, there's still some blurring in some of my photos from this period when someone was moving too fast but being able to handhold the camera and not get camera shake most of the time means the exposure times were around at least 1/50th of a second. But again, that's in good lighting. Notice my pictures from that period are all taken outside in daylight. Probably inside the house was too dark to take a snapshot.

Furthermore, even by the time photography started becoming popular around the mid 19th century (about 1840-50), exposure times were already measured in or around a few minutes, not half an hour. It was not impossible to smile for the photo and in fact, you can find mid to late 19th century photos of people smiling. Just google "smiling Victorians". However, you try smiling for 5 minutes straight and you'll find it's not very comfortable. So most people opted not to but that doesn't mean it was impossible. Also keep in mind that people were still very used to paintings as portraits which didn't feature smiles so it's possible people just felt not smiling was traditional in portraits.

Smiling Victorians Retronaut | Retronaut - See the past like you wouldn't believe.
Smiling Victorians II, 1800s Retronaut | Retronaut - See the past like you wouldn't believe.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Wow, I guess goat carts were a popular thing for kids in the early 20th century.

I just google-imaged "goat cart" and look at all the pictures!
goat cart - Google Search
Wow, great pix! I want one too. Actually I may have one--my bf has a 13 yo son and they live on a farm and I found a little cart in the shed about that size with an old tractor seat so I talked his son into digging it out and refurbishing it. All it needs is a couple of new bike tires and he's in business and that reminds me that I'm supposed to take him some paint this weekend. They even have a goat.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 PM
bjh

^
Send us a picture when it's done.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:13 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The "Mohawk" haircut is interesting for that era (and on a girl, no less), or is there some other factor I'm not considering?...
It looks like a Kewpie doll cut to me.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It does and she had a Kewpie doll. That cut looks unintentional though--the way the rest of it is all chopped looking. But if her mother had to fix it and left a little bit at the top, she may have left it that way with Kewpie dolls in mind.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:06 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Good eye.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Would you guys believe that the kewpie doll is the mascot of the football team from the high school I graduated from? And they're a good team--I think it's like "a boy named Sue"--you have to be tough to carry that around.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:02 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Would you guys believe that the kewpie doll is the mascot of the football team from the high school I graduated from? And they're a good team--I think it's like "a boy named Sue"--you have to be tough to carry that around.
oh no. I was thinking no one even knew what a kewpie doll was anymore. Go team!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It does and she had a Kewpie doll. That cut looks unintentional though--the way the rest of it is all chopped looking. But if her mother had to fix it and left a little bit at the top, she may have left it that way with Kewpie dolls in mind.
I think the mystery is solved - You learned a new family story, and others learned a little more trivia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy