Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 11:21 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times

Advertisements

I received mine back not too long ago. It was pretty much what I expected, all Southern European / Mediterranean.

Italy 58%
Spain 14%
Greece 9%
Jewish 8%
France 8%
Southern Slavic 3%

The only real surprise is the 8% Jewish but I'm rather proud of that. Perhaps I'll have another done by another company and see how they compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 04:51 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
99.9% Ashkenazi Jewish
.1% Broadly European

Boy, am I boring!

Old 09-13-2018, 10:48 AM

2,201 posts, read 3,358,753 times
Just got my Ancestry results. Pretty much what I expected.

Spain - 69%
France - 22%
Portugal - 9%

Old 09-15-2018, 05:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,982,376 times
Received my results, and was a little surprised. Since I know my family tree going back hundreds of years for most lines I thought my results would show English and German being fairly evenly split making up the majority of my DNA; French being 3rd, although I realized that was lumped in as Western Europe w/Germany before the recent update with AncestryDNA, and even still there appears to be some crossover on their maps despite the fact they have France as an option in their listings; and I know I have a small amount of Irish, Scottish & Swiss in my tree.

After doing research a couple of days ago I discovered my great-great-great grandmother on my maternal side had a Jewish last name. I had been checking last names to discover their origins, and the only thing mentioned was that it was an Ashkenazi Jewish name. Asked my mother about it and she said she had heard someone in the family had married a Jewish woman but wasn't aware which relative it had been. So I thought I'd find that as a small percentage in my results, but there was no trace of it that AncestryDNA's test found.

My results:
-----------------
England, Wales & Northwestern Europe - 78%
Germanic Europe - 12%
Norway - 4%
Ireland & Scotland - 3%
Sweden - 3%

Did not expect Germanic Europe to be so low and England to be so high, and totally surprised to see a total of 7% coming from Norway and Sweden, although it makes sense since so many invasions of what we now know as the United Kingdom took place many centuries ago.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:19 PM

178 posts, read 230,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
99.9% Ashkenazi Jewish
.1% Broadly European

Boy, am I boring!
Ashkenazi Jewish doesn't that just mean European? meaning Eupropean Jews? rather than the African/Middle Eastern Jews that we hear about in the Bible?

Old 09-21-2018, 02:36 PM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allamshield View Post
Ashkenazi Jewish doesn't that just mean European? meaning Eupropean Jews? rather than the African/Middle Eastern Jews that we hear about in the Bible?
No, it's more specifically Jews of Eastern/Central Europe. Sephardic Jews are from the Iberian Peninsula.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:10 PM

178 posts, read 230,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No, it's more specifically Jews of Eastern/Central Europe. Sephardic Jews are from the Iberian Peninsula.

Thank you for the clarification. Is there a difference in Eastern/ Central Europe and Ashkenazi]Jew DNA. I don't follow? Is it tribal/ ethnic difference? Just wondering how religion relates to DNA

Old 09-21-2018, 08:37 PM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allamshield View Post
Thank you for the clarification. Is there a difference in Eastern/ Central Europe and Ashkenazi]Jew DNA. I don't follow? Is it tribal/ ethnic difference? Just wondering how religion relates to DNA
Yes, Ashkenazi Jews are the most genetically distinct population in Europe. They have primarily only married other Ashkenazi Jews over centuries, so they are very endogamous and therefore genetically unique.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:24 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,240 times
It is surprising how pure white and Asian people are. No mixing whatsoever in some of you!

I am a black American. My recent 23andme has me at 71 percent African, 27.3 percent European, 1.2 percent Native American/Asian and the rest unidentifiable.

Ancestry recently updated and it has me at 76 percent African and 24 percent European.

23andme is more accurate and has a better NA/Asian database, so I am inclined to agree with their results.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:26 AM

71 posts, read 76,568 times
I thought my ancestry would be mostly African American some French, German and Native American.

My results which I got from 23andme 9/21/2018
Are.

Sub Saharan African 84.8%
Nigerian 22.2%
Coastal West African 20.1%
Congolese 11.6%
Senegambian and Guinean 8.6%
Southern East African 1.1%
Broadly West African 14.1%
Broadly Congolese and Southern East African 2.7%
Broadly Sub Saharan African 4.4%

European 12.6%
British and Irish 2.9% (united kingdom)
Scandinavian 0.5%
French and German 0.2%
Iberian 0.2%
Broadly Northwestern European 6.3%
Broadly Southern European 1.6%
Broadly European 0.9%

East Asian and Native American 2.5%
Native American 1.6%
Indonesian, Thai, Khmer, and Myanmar 0.3%
Filipino and Austronesian 0.1%
Broadly Chinese and Southeast Asian 0.2%
Broadly Northern Asian and Native American 0.1%
Broadly East Asian and Native American 0.2%
Unassigned 0.2%

I was VERY surprised with the Asian ancestry seeing as I didn't think anything came from over there. I wish I knew what the broadly stuff was so I could tell if its Vietnamese, Chinese Japanese etc.
I've always been drawn to Asian culture and now I understand why.

Africa never appealed to me ever. I'm quite surprised on the Native American which tells me it wasn't a lie or family lore but truth. Many black folk and others are told of an Indian in the family.

Scandinavian I didn't expect but explains me being drawn to Iceland and Norway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy