Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 12:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Probably my daughter Cjersti.

Grandma Alta is unusual these days and Aunt Ted is a bit unusual (named for teddy rosevelt). Oh I also have an aunt Dode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 01:14 PM

776 posts, read 580,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I found one recently from the mid 1700s era. The wife's name was Experience.
Is that the modern equivalent of Candy, just joking.
Most of my family was stereotypic euro-trash so 3/5 kids where named Paul on my mother's side. I think in an effort to be more Anglo-Saxon-ish, my father's Norwegian forefathers were named cheap names like Christian.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:35 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I have women named:
Zerviah
Mehittaball
Jemima
Meribah
Those first three were from the colonial period, but the 4th one was born in the late 1800s when all her contemporaries were Mary, Ann, Jane.

I have a Swedish man in my tree whose name was Martin Fager. This was at the time when families had to choose a family name and stick with it. Fager apparently means "handsome" in Swedish, so Martin picked that for his last name. Martin the Handsome Guy. He was humble too.

I have a woman in my German line whose last name was Schlagenhauf. I don't really know if it's unusual, but it kind of makes me giggle to think that I came from some long line of Schlagenhaufs. I think it means "whipping" or "beating up."
I have always thought Jemima is a super cute name. I ts too bad it doesn't get revived.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:42 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Quote:
I have always thought Jemima is a super cute name. I ts too bad it doesn't get revived.
I think it just evokes pancakes and syrup and the lady in the kerchief. I don't think that will go away. But I agree with you, if you forget about the pancake lady, it could sound cute.

But then again, the girl's first name "Camden" sounds pretty too, unless you're from NJ.
Associations are everything.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
My maternal grandfathers mother's name is Euphemia Portus. Her family was from Scotland. Her nickname was Feem. I saw a listing of her grandmother as another Euphemia. I don't think anyone here carried on the name.

My mom was a Laura, and her grandmother was a Laura, and if my son had been a daughter she was going to be another Laura.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:18 PM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Quote:
Google Aunt Jemima, look at some images and you'll see why.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I was researching my brother-in-law's family, and he has a Mormon ancestor whose first name was Ransom. I thought it was pretty cool, and thought they should have named my nephew that They decided No, but I'm still hoping they'll name a dog Ransom.
The founder of Oldsmobile?

Old 11-09-2016, 04:41 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Purify, a young woman's given name. It was inspired by a grandmother's maiden name (which had a different spelling and probably a different pronunciation).

This was NOT in Puritan New England, but in colonial Virginia.

Then there was Adam Toot. Different family line, about 100 years later than Purify.

I also had a g-great aunt whose given name was recorded as "Arrow Bell", by a semi-literate census taker. In reality, she was "Arabelle", rather obviously.
We had a family member "re-named" by a census worker, too. My grandfather's sister's name was Lillian Gay. The census worker's handwriting was poor, and it was transcribed as Little Guy

Old 11-09-2016, 04:52 PM

924 posts, read 751,657 times
Offhand, I'd say it would be one of my female cousins on my dad's side of the family - her middle name is "Robbiemarie". (not sure if that's spelt as one word, or "Robbie" and "Marie" are separate)

Old 11-09-2016, 05:04 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Welcome! It's a nice change from the serious stuff. Good names--I wonder what their nicknames were, lol.
G g gf....his brother's name was George. Sisters were Susan and Barbara Ellen. My g g gf....Ananias Jeremiah.

His nickname was Ank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy