Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 01:16 PM

14,452 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

These are not all from our family and they do not appear as unusual as the many that have been posted.

1. Penelope - female (a greek name)
2. Rozzie - male
3. Hazel - male
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 07:23 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I just can't justify the $$ ancestry site. I have a better free site, but I haven't spent enough time on it to go back that far yet.
Do you mind sharing what the free site is? I, too, feel that ancestry is overpriced.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:48 AM

965 posts, read 938,193 times
Default Wikitree

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
Do you mind sharing what the free site is? I, too, feel that ancestry is overpriced.
Sure.
Wikitree. You have to be specific about your information, so you don't run into all the garbage on ancestry dot com does too. It isn't a lot more work, but less false info as far as I can tell. I have never checked here to see what anyone thinks about it.
Anyone else use this site?

Old 11-16-2016, 08:33 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Maybe strange is the wrong word. Today, those are stereotypical "white" names. They don't sound like a black couple and much less slaves. She was listed as "Becky" in some records, which is a joke today.

Same goes for Carry and Matilda.

Squire is not a name that I have ever heard before.

And "Cruz" is an odd, non-English sounding surname. Where would she have gotten such a surname?

My grandfather's name was Squire. There are actually quite a few in a couple of my family lines and, I think, are mostly associated with my Riley family.

America, Arizona, Zilda, Nannie and probably more but can't think of them right now.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:45 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
"Squire" was the name of Daniel Boone's brother and father. I was looking at some names in the extended family a while back and saw the name 'Squire'. My family is said to have gone into Kentucky with Daniel Boone and apparently my ggggg grandparents knew him and he surveyed some land for them. They were the first settlers in what is now known as Booneville, Kentucky. I'm not descended from the Boone's, but 'Boone' and 'Daniel Boone' show up quite frequently.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:29 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
My Scottish grandmother's name was "Euphemia."

Old 11-16-2016, 10:21 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
That's funny, I only got into my Scottish line this past year, after breaking though one of my brick walls, and I was shocked at how in the census records in Scotland, almost every other female was named Euphemia! Then I was looking at marriages records for a male ancestor, trying to figure out what his wife's name was, and there were toms of men with his name (John Stewart) and about a third of them had wives named Euphemia. You had the usual "Mary" and "Elizabeth" but Euphemia was right up there in the top 3. How the heck did that become a "thing"?

Old 11-16-2016, 10:42 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Westly and Vessel. We tried unsuccessfully to learn more about the names and how they were chosen. It remains a mystery.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:17 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Unusual name but it comes from Greek mythology. "Eppie" or "Effie" are nicknames.

I just found this website that tells the derivation of the names, when they were popular, and more. Euphemia had a run of popularity from abt 1880-1890. And that was it!

Behind the Name: Meaning, origin and history of the name Euphemia

Old 11-16-2016, 12:35 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
That's funny, I only got into my Scottish line this past year, after breaking though one of my brick walls, and I was shocked at how in the census records in Scotland, almost every other female was named Euphemia! Then I was looking at marriages records for a male ancestor, trying to figure out what his wife's name was, and there were toms of men with his name (John Stewart) and about a third of them had wives named Euphemia. You had the usual "Mary" and "Elizabeth" but Euphemia was right up there in the top 3. How the heck did that become a "thing"?
Really?

That's interesting, TracySam. Thanks for telling me that; I'm going to ask my mom, who grew up in Scotland. Maybe she'll know why Euphemia was so common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy