Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 12:52 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,837,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Unusual name but it comes from Greek mythology. "Eppie" or "Effie" are nicknames.

I just found this website that tells the derivation of the names, when they were popular, and more. Euphemia had a run of popularity from abt 1880-1890. And that was it!

Behind the Name: Meaning, origin and history of the name Euphemia
Yep. My Nana always went by "Effie."

Thank you for posting that link!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 03:11 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
I recently came across a Euphemia in Scotland in the 1700s (not in my tree).

There's also Euphemia de Ross, Queen of Scots: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemia_de_Ross

It's a name that can be found elsewhere though too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemia_(disambiguation)

Old 11-16-2016, 03:22 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Van Kowanhaben (Conover)

Old 11-16-2016, 10:11 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I recently came across a Euphemia in Scotland in the 1700s (not in my tree).

There's also Euphemia de Ross, Queen of Scots: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemia_de_Ross

It's a name that can be found elsewhere though too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemia_(disambiguation)
I've never heard of Euphemia de Ross. Thank you!

Old 11-17-2016, 12:01 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I've never heard of Euphemia de Ross. Thank you!
She was married to the grandson of Robert the Bruce, Robert II.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:01 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
I love some of the names I have found in my family tree...like Temperance Loudon, Daisy Belle
and Lacie Mae Mahoney and their Uncle who was Fleming Crosby Mahoney...and the Tingles
I love the name Greenberry Tingle (my third Great Grandfather) who was the Grandson of Littleton Tingle (My husband says that Greenberry Tingle sounds like a drink you would order at a bar or
Ice Cream shop...but I like it, it's different! And he wasn't even the only Greenberry in my tree!)

As for several of the other unusual first names in the family, I have found that
There was an Alpha, a Flurry, a Selbert, a Fielding, Manard, a Eupherna, a Tholemiah, several Larkins,
Several Squires, a Solomon, Isaiah, Hosea and a Zaddock.

Just to make the research interesting...
I had a great, great, great Uncle named Beverly and a great, great, Aunt named Henry.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:50 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I love some of the names I have found in my family tree...like Temperance Loudon, Daisy Belle
and Lacie Mae Mahoney and their Uncle who was Fleming Crosby Mahoney...and the Tingles
I love the name Greenberry Tingle (my third Great Grandfather) who was the Grandson of Littleton Tingle (My husband says that Greenberry Tingle sounds like a drink you would order at a bar or
Ice Cream shop...but I like it, it's different! And he wasn't even the only Greenberry in my tree!)
Oh, that reminds me, I used to know someone with the surname Tickle, lol. I don't think it's very uncommon but I just thought it was amusing. Imagine if someone with the surname Tickle was named Richard...

Old 11-17-2016, 05:03 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
And then was a 6 generation name swap...Peter had a son named Isaac, who had a son named Peter, who had a son Isaac, who had a son Peter, who had a son Isaac who had a daughter Peter..no no no...Sarah. Literally felt like a curse was broken on that line!

Old 11-19-2016, 03:47 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Westly and Vessel. We tried unsuccessfully to learn more about the names and how they were chosen. It remains a mystery.
Could "Westly" have actually been "Wesley"? If your ancestors were devout Methodists, look into this possibility. "Vessel" could also have Christian connotations...or maybe a hard-of-hearing, semi-literate census taker misspelled both names, which were actually one name.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:43 PM

218 posts, read 241,562 times
I had a cousin named Darwin Rex S......, If that was not bad enough there was another Darwin Rex S...... that lived in the same small town (with a pop of around 500). the other DRS was not a very nice person and was always getting into trouble, and my cousin was always getting stopped for warrants in that name. That was about 50 years ago, so they didn't have all the modern tech available that police have now. My cousin was always able to prove that they had the wrong DRS, but it was a hassle. He was very happy to move away from that town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy