Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 07:30 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I could not resist looking for the combo.
Saw this birth registry with Stempfley father & Kelly mother and then located him with his parents in 1900 and then located his father's death certificate.

Name: John C. Stempfley
Birth Place: Clearfield Co., Penn.
Spouse: Rose Kelly
Child: Janet Lucille Stempfley

1900 census
Name: Joseph Stampfly
Birth Date: May 1862
Birthplace: Switzerland
Home in 1900: Osceola Mills, Clearfield, Pennsylvania
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1880
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Annie Stampfly
Marriage Year: 1893
Years Married: 7
Father's Birthplace: Switzerland
Mother's Birthplace: Switzerland
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Joseph Stampfly 38
Annie Stampfly 32
John Stampfly 14
William Stampfly 11

Name: Joseph John Stempfly
Birth Date: 15 May 1863
Birth Place: Switzerland
Death Date: 8 Feb 1925
Death Place: Altoona, Blair, Pennsylvania, USA
Certificate Number: 12391

1910 census
Name: John Stemphley
[John Steinphley]
Age in 1910: 25
Birth Year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Home in 1910: St Paul Ward 11, Ramsey, Minnesota
Street: Woodsworth Str
House Number: 1756
Spouse's Name: Alice Stemphley
Father's Birthplace: Switzerland
Mother's Birthplace: Germany
Native Tongue: English
Industry: Foundry
Employer, Employee or Other: Wage Earner
Home Owned or Rented: Own
Home Free or Mortgaged: Free
Farm or House: House
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Out of Work: N
Number of weeks out of work: 0
Household Members:
Name Age
John Stemphley 25
Alice Stemphley 25
John Stemphley 4
Gerald Stemphley 2
Grace H Stemphley 0
[4/12]

1920 census
John C Stempley
[John C Stempfley]
[John C Stampley]
Birth Year: abt 1886
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Home in 1920: Lakeville, Dakota, Minnesota
Street: W Lettney Road
House Number: Farm
Spouse's Name: Rose Stempley
Father's Birthplace: Germany
Mother's Birthplace: Germany
Able to Speak English: Yes
Industry: Farm
Employment Field: Own Account
Home Owned or Rented: Rent
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Household Members:
Name Age
John C Stempley 34
Rose Stempley 35
John Stempley 14
Gerald Stempley 12
Jenette Stempley 10
Clarence Stempley 8
Dorothy Stempley 6
Marvin Stempley 5
Mable Stempley 3
Ruth Stempley 0
[10/12]
That's my family! Where did you find that? My dad was Clarence Kelly Stempfley. Please share. Thank you.

No wonder I heard we were Swiss/German. But Rose Kelly was Irish I thought. Her parents records were burned in a courthouse fire in Pennsylvania. Can you tell me how to go further?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 07:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Plantagenet. Yeah, English royalty, War of the Roses bunch. This was thru my dads mothers side which included the likes of Lady Baltimore who has a town named after her and a football team. Funny though, I've never gotten an invitation to have lunch at Buckinham Palace. But really, that is all correct. The rest of the family comes from Wurttemberg and Papenhagen, Germany.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:02 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
My great grandfather was named Almy. I wouldn't have known that if it wasn't for a letter I found from my great grandmother to him, outraged because he ran off to a gold mine in California "leaving us in dire straits, your children are starving!" He eventually came back.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:01 AM

History fan, I want you to know you've started me on a qwest. I plan to go to PA to see if I can find something in the History Museum about my Stempfley roots.

I've been investigating through CD but want to actually go there - feel the soil beneath my feet, smell the air my grandparents smelt & see the sights they saw. I'm excited & it's all due to you.

I am also curious about the discrepancies in names/dates. I'd heard vague references about Grandfather John & a falling out with his brother William but could never get anyone to talk about it. My dad, Clarence, died when I was 15 & we weren't in contact with his side of the family because my mother & he were divorced.

My grandfather died @ 90. My grandmother lived to be 98.

I did stay in contact & visited my grandmother when she was is a nursing home but I was in my 20's when she died & not interested in genealogy.

Thank you for bringing me alive to this. My grandparents were very special to me & I was to them.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:15 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
History fan, I want you to know you've started me on a qwest. I plan to go to PA to see if I can find something in the History Museum about my Stempfley roots.

I've been investigating through CD but want to actually go there - feel the soil beneath my feet, smell the air my grandparents smelt & see the sights they saw. I'm excited & it's all due to you.

I am also curious about the discrepancies in names/dates. I'd heard vague references about Grandfather John & a falling out with his brother William but could never get anyone to talk about it. My dad, Clarence, died when I was 15 & we weren't in contact with his side of the family because my mother & he were divorced.

My grandfather died @ 90. My grandmother lived to be 98.

I did stay in contact & visited my grandmother when she was is a nursing home but I was in my 20's when she died & not interested in genealogy.

Thank you for bringing me alive to this. My grandparents were very special to me & I was to them.
How delightful to go to Pennsylvania. Be sure to go to the local library & see if they have old newspaper files. My favorite sources are old newspapers and wills & probate records (at that county's courthouse).

I will poke around a bit more for you. The census records I posted earlier were from ancestry.com.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
How delightful to go to Pennsylvania. Be sure to go to the local library & see if they have old newspaper files. My favorite sources are old newspapers and wills & probate records (at that county's courthouse).

I will poke around a bit more for you. The census records I posted earlier were from ancestry.com.
Thank you. I plan to spend at least a week there this spring. I will check out the history center and am also posting on the PA CD forum so folks will get to know me before I go there.

I have also put it in my retirement list as a possibility.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:35 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I have a relative (female) name Jack Ann. She was listed in a census and that is the only place I have ever found her. It looks pretty clear on the census form, but I suppose the census taker misheard her name. Or maybe Jack was short for something. She was 4 years old at the time of the census.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:31 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Going back in time far enough, I run into a lot of Eleazers in the family. Apparently it was a popular name for a couple hundred years.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:01 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Going back in time far enough, I run into a lot of Eleazers in the family. Apparently it was a popular name for a couple hundred years.
One of my families had an Eleazor, but the male names that predominated in that family were Isaac & Solomon.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:22 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I've run across a couple of males named 'Elzy'.

Then I saw a female Zelpha with a nickname of Zelphie. I thought that would be rare, but apparently not. The rest of the family used the name too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy