Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 08:13 PM

78 posts, read 76,978 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I've been googling for a while and not finding what I want so thought I'd post something here. I have two questions for you experts here.

1) Is there a family tree maker that starts with ancestors? I have my grandmother's parents' names only but I have a lot of information about her siblings and I wanted to start with my great grandparents. Is there such a tree out there?

2) I'd also like to be able to download the information into a word file, not a chart, but starting with my great grandparents so they'd be generation 1, then my grandmother would be generation 2, my mother would be generation 3 and so on.

Is there a product/website that will give me both of these?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 04:58 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
Greetings. I've been googling for a while and not finding what I want so thought I'd post something here. I have two questions for you experts here.

1) Is there a family tree maker that starts with ancestors? I have my grandmother's parents' names only but I have a lot of information about her siblings and I wanted to start with my great grandparents. Is there such a tree out there?

2) I'd also like to be able to download the information into a word file, not a chart, but starting with my great grandparents so they'd be generation 1, then my grandmother would be generation 2, my mother would be generation 3 and so on.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Your best bet is to join Ancestry and also register at family search. Make your tree on Ancestry with what you know. It will give you hints. I use both my computer and cell phone on Ancestry. They have an app. I'll look at the hints on my cell because it usually allows me to click on them to see the information. When I'm on my computer it wants money.

Next, go to Family Search, see Discover Your Deceased Ancestors, search for your grandparents to see if someone started a tree. If you find a tree then you're in luck, if not, you have to make one like you did on ancestry. Family search also gives hints if available. You can also search for records here. The only bad thing about family search is that you can't download your GEDCOM file but it's a great resource to use. I keep my public tree there. It's a public tree site, the way they work it is one profile for every person alive or dead. No one except you can see living people but you will share the existing tree if there is one made with other relatives. It's a win because you may get farther this way. I have.

Also have a read of my Family tree and DNA general instructions so you can see how I started and the mistakes I made. You may even be able to back up the ancestry tree to upload it to family search if they still have that feature. You would save the tree as a GEDCOM file. Very easy to do.

I've never done a word file so can't answer that.

You should also consider doing your DNA at ancestry to connect with DNA relatives who may help you build your tree farther. I have that in the post I linked, scroll to now to the DNA. Ancestry has the largest DNA database. It goes on sale for $59 a few times a year. Next sale should be mother's day. If you're interested in DNA we'll tell you all that you can do with it.

If you want to post your grandparents info we can look to see if someone already did a tree. Who is the oldest relative that you have?

Old 02-23-2021, 11:01 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:

Any tree builder (web based or not) will allow you to start with any individual you want - the starting person will generally be automatically designated the "home person", which is usually yourself, but it doesn't have to be. And you can always later change the "home person" to yourself if you want. Personally, I think it makes more sense to just add yourself, your parents, and grandparents and work from there - you don't have to build on all of them right away, if you'd rather focus on your grandmother's parents and that particular branch at first, you can.

Quote:

That's a descendant report, for that you'll probably need desktop software, most web based trees don't offer the more advanced reports like that. I recommend either Family Tree Maker, or RootsMagic, because they will both sync your tree with Ancestry.com, should you ever subscribe there (it's the biggest genealogical resource online so if you're going to take that step, I do recommend it over other subscription sites). Personally, I use Family Tree Maker because it has a true bulk sync, whereas RootsMagic does not. RootsMagic has a free "Essentials" version (FTM does not), but it looks like the descendant report is not included in the free version. The full version of RM is less expensive than FTM, but personally I think FTM is worth it - some people feel differently.

Keep in mind that producing a descendant report for your great grandparents doesn't mean you need to make one of them your "home person" or "start" with them. I have a huge family tree of almost 20,000 people in it, and I'm the home person, and I can produce descendant reports for any given individual in my tree at any time.

Here's an example of a descendant report:

Old 02-23-2021, 08:40 PM

Wow! Such great information! I'm going to have to re-read all this again and mull it over to figure out which way to go. I am registered on both Ancestry and 23andme. I started to fill in things on Ancestry, perhaps I'll continue. I actually found someone on 23andme who I am pretty sure is related to one of the people in my handwritten tree(last name Safir). I sent him a note several months ago and never heard back so he either has died or never got my message.

I'm not younger and my parents are gone. All I have left are my aunt (youngest sister of my father who is now 88) and uncle (who just turned 90 and we had a fun zoom call to wish him a happy birthday!). That side was fully documented by this same uncle. I'm also descended from immigrants, like so many others in the U.S. But my grandparents fled the pogroms of Kishinev around 1915ish. oh wait, my grandmother arrived in 1912 which I just learned a couple of years ago when my sister and I were going through our mother's stuff. I found her Inspection Card when she entered the U.S. from Quebec. Yea, that was a surprise too. All this time I imagined she came in at Ellis Island. I actually still get the chills thinking about this 17 year old young woman traveling alone to the U.S. from Russia (it was Russia then, now it's Moldova, if she's from Kishinev too). I have no information on how my grandfather got here.

The reason I bring up the pogroms is because I wonder how much I will be able to find as I imagine there aren't many records of Jewish people?

Roselvr: my grandparents on my mother's side are Samuel Leiderman (he's from Kishinev, not sure if she is from there) and Pearl Rabinowitz. Pearl came over on the Corsican from England. She started somewhere in Russia, got on the ship in Liverpool on 10/18/12 and arrived 10/27/12. My niece found the passenger list and there are no other Rabinowitz's listed so that's why I think she travelled alone. If you can find anything, that would be great!

Thanks again for all this great information. I surely appreciate it!!

Old 02-23-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatecake1977 View Post
It's a great thing that you know so much about your great aunts and uncles. That helps make the search much easier, especially if the family name you are researching is a common one. You can type your great aunts and uncles names into the search engine on ancestry or family search and pull up the old censuses. This will give you valuable information about your great grandparents. Also, if you are younger, couldn't you ask your parents about their grandparents?
more......

when we were cleaning out our mother's apartment I came across a letter I had written to her with my handwritten family tree notes. I had highlighted all the missing information and asked her to fill in the blanks.....she never did and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't "harass" her to finish that! I did find a second cousin on Facebook recently. Her grandmother and mine were sisters. My mother and her mother were the best of friends too. She also just gave me a family tree that she mentioned a few months ago. I had hoped it would fill in some of those blanks, alas, it was her father's family information. Well, at least I can put in her family now. The rest is interesting but not what I had hoped for. I wonder if she even knew her grandmother.....

Old 02-23-2021, 09:21 PM

I just spent some time keying in some of the information I have into Ancestry. And it looks like I'd have to subscribe to be able to look at any of their hints. It's kind of "spendy" (Minnesotan for expensive)........so I'm going to have to think about it.

One question: would I be able to download the information I'm putting in Ancestry into another family tree software without a subscription? Because I don't want to spend all this time keying it in if I can't use it if I decide not to subscribe.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:22 PM

oh yea, PA2UK: your descendant report is exactly what I'd like. Which software is that from?

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Your best bet is to join Ancestry and also register at family search. Make your tree on Ancestry with what you know. It will give you hints. I use both my computer and cell phone on Ancestry. They have an app. I'll look at the hints on my cell because it usually allows me to click on them to see the information. When I'm on my computer it wants money.

Next, go to Family Search, see Discover Your Deceased Ancestors, search for your grandparents to see if someone started a tree. If you find a tree then you're in luck, if not, you have to make one like you did on ancestry. Family search also gives hints if available. You can also search for records here. The only bad thing about family search is that you can't download your GEDCOM file but it's a great resource to use. I keep my public tree there. It's a public tree site, the way they work it is one profile for every person alive or dead. No one except you can see living people but you will share the existing tree if there is one made with other relatives. It's a win because you may get farther this way. I have.

Also have a read of my Family tree and DNA general instructions so you can see how I started and the mistakes I made. You may even be able to back up the ancestry tree to upload it to family search if they still have that feature. You would save the tree as a GEDCOM file. Very easy to do.

I've never done a word file so can't answer that.

You should also consider doing your DNA at ancestry to connect with DNA relatives who may help you build your tree farther. I have that in the post I linked, scroll to now to the DNA. Ancestry has the largest DNA database. It goes on sale for $59 a few times a year. Next sale should be mother's day. If you're interested in DNA we'll tell you all that you can do with it.

If you want to post your grandparents info we can look to see if someone already did a tree. Who is the oldest relative that you have?
ah, just rereading this now. sorry, I should probably quit for the night because I see that you answered one question: get the Ancestry app for my phone to look at the hints! so, you didn't subscribe either. Got it. I did register at familysearch a few months ago. I'll have to come back and delve more into it when I'm more awake. Thank you so much!

Old 02-24-2021, 05:23 AM

Quote:
ah, just rereading this now. sorry, I should probably quit for the night because I see that you answered one question: get the Ancestry app for my phone to look at the hints! so, you didn't subscribe either. Got it. I did register at familysearch a few months ago. I'll have to come back and delve more into it when I'm more awake. Thank you so much!
Hi Roselvr: turns out the app doesn't work the same way for me. they're asking for money if I want to look at any hints or records that they found. Perhaps they changed it since it worked for you for free?

Old 02-24-2021, 06:08 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
You have similar to me with being immigrants except my parents came here from Hungary in 1957. You should read my tips thread. Maybe it will help you not make mistakes I did.

I worded that wrong about the app, it lets me see more hints then the website does even though I don't pay. I've been doing my tree for 6 years, I've only paid once and it was by mistake. It does go on sale half price if you're interested in subscribing. I never used my free trials either. Paying is worthless for me because they don't have many Hungarian records. I find way more on family search. I've been able to build out my mother's fathers side to the early 1700's because of family search. They have an uncommon name, so I searched the last name, started building trees for the results until eventually I was able to connect most of them.

I've only been on 23 and me almost 2 years. They're not a genealogy site so having a tree there is worthless. Did you do DNA there? That's the only thing the tree has been good for is linking my matches when I figure them out. You can't download the tree.

If you did do DNA at 23 and me, you can download the RAW file and upload to my heritage, another family tree site that's free. I have not paid for records there but have gotten hints that they supposedly have records for some of my Hungarian grandparents but I don't know what info they do have.

I have roots magic which does sync Ancestry and Family Search but I only used it once. I'd rather work online because of the record hints at family search and ancestry. I read an article the other day on the best family tree maker software so will paste the link in below. Out of all of them, Roots Magic is the only one to connect to Ancestry, Family Search and My Heritage so maybe I'll give it another go to link all 3 of my trees.

I'll play around with family search to see if I find records for you. Someone did start a tree for Samuel Leiderman and Pearl Rabinowitz

Sam is on find a grave. I'm not seeing her entered on find a grave in the same cemetery. Is she buried with him?

Best genealogy tools of 2021

Quote:
RootsMagic 7 $29.95

The program runs on all versions of Windows starting from Windows XP and 2000 as well as on macOS 10.8 and higher. It has a smaller community, which translates to lesser user support. However, it comes with how-to video guides and tutorials. It is connected with Ancestry, FamilySearch, and MyHeritage, so you get access to quite a lot of databases and records online.

You can use RootsMagic Essentials 7 for as long as you like without any cost. It has all of the basic features of the software but not its best asset, which is the RootsMagic To-Go feature.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-24-2021 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy