Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 12:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times

Advertisements

Here's my advice.

Move your own stuff. So many of our things arrived damaged with professionals.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:11 PM

14 posts, read 26,971 times
This plastic wrap stuff is amazing. I can't believe I have never used it in a move before. I can secure anything with it.
Shrink wrap for the win!

Old 06-22-2014, 02:38 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
The upstairs of the old house is somewhat organized. All the stuff that is coming here is separated from the trash. I can't BELIEVE how much trash we have.

It shouldn't take the downstairs too long. The basement...well, that is going to be the headache. The movers were supposed to do most of it-but they didn't. But, there is a lot of trash down there, too. It seems that we have ghosts of tenants pasts-not to mention workers. It seems like everyone who had ventured down there left something. Looking into hiring a service to haul all that junk away.

Cat

Old 06-22-2014, 08:25 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Catching up on everyone else here. Today for us was busy. Took another SUV load to the lake house, then came home and tonight started on my kitchen, going through the spice rakes. Oh my! Needless to say well over half hit the trash for expiration dates. Same thing in the pantry. Semi success in getting rid of stuff. Got a hit in Craigslist for my roll top desk, paid for it tonight and will pick up on Sunday. Got a commitment for our gas grill, just hasn't been able to pick it up. Then there's the family that wants our free old garage workbench but keeps failing to show. I also have bedroom furniture promised but now need a promise they can pick up next weekend. We close on the 2nd and I'm out of here on the 30th for a previously planned engagement and I don't want to leave that much for DH to finish up.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:33 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
I fixed the rocking chair with free fabric i got on saturday. I also got 4 boxes from my mom and bought tape today.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Oh, NO, Kab0; sorry to hear that, that sucks. Anything you can tell us about what got broken and why would help others. Again, sorry for the loss.

Kty, I haven't used the shrink on the baton but I have winged it using the cling wrap from the kitchen for shipping things. Very cool stuff.

Cat, who let the trash fairy into the house????????

Choff, it sounds like you are rockin' it. Are you closing July 2 and outta there July 30?

ohky, very cool! Free is the greatest.

One of the totes I emptied was full of hats, with custom floral headbands made by my wonderful mom. This was from back in our Victoria are (the magazine) in the nineties.

My first thought was to ship them to her but something told me not to. then viola! I packed them up for my cinsignment gal.

Still can't beleive I got fifve huge totes jettisoned. Wow does that feel good.

Carry on!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:31 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Choff, it sounds like you are rockin' it. Are you closing July 2 and outta there July

Still can't beleive I got fifve huge totes jettisoned. Wow does that feel good.

Carry on!
No, not July, but June 30. Flying down to my professional associations conference to pick up a national award for the school,where I worked before retirement, at their banquet on July 1st, then flying home on July 2nd while DH signs away for him and me, via POA, at the closing of our house. Then,if all goes as plan, and the buyers really aren't total jerks, we will come over for one last look and goodbye house the next morning. It may seem totally irrational, but I really want that one last time after I get back, after all is out, for closure on a house we were in for almost 35 years and where we brought home and raised two fine sons. I'm ready for the change, but it still is hard to pull up those roots and plant them elsewhere.

Now, back to packing. Finally hitting the kitchen today and was happy when son said he wanted my old stoneware. Wonder what else I can palm off on him???

Old 06-23-2014, 03:58 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
LOL you will find plenty to give him!

Old 06-23-2014, 07:54 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Began to magic erase the kids "artwork" off their bedroom wall today. Im really wondering if it would be better to paint or magic erase.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:45 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Ohky: paint the wall with plain white Kilz, will seal the wall. Otherwise the oils will bleed through. Been there, done that.

Ccc, how about 20 Jimmy Buffett concert and Margaritaville T-shirts.

Packed the closets today, packed a bunch in suitcases to go in the truck. Final run to Walmart tomorrow for ropes, few more boxes, final packing is tomorrow. But our big problem is the three pups. They are following us around, very ill at ease. Yes, all are coming down in the car, but, being pups, they just don't understand what is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues