Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 07:53 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times

Advertisements

ell, great news. Perhaps a large gift card to a grocery store instead of cash? It's amazing, the pride that these older folks have.

Why does furniture have to go last day?

Old 07-02-2014, 07:57 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,709,438 times
yes, his face fell when I said I was moving, and I would miss him too, but fortunately I will only be one block away.

thank you for your comments. You sound like you are a person who also appreciates when we find a good person.

I try to be a good person/good friend/good neighbor.
don't know if I always measure up, but it is a value I hold dear.

I have been lucky living here. Esp. being a single woman and in my '60's. Last winter I was out digging out my car, and suddenly this man I didn't know, was there with a shovel.

turned out he was my new neighbor!

One year, I had parked across the street in front of some apartment buildings. Same thing - I was digging my car out, (I can do it - takes me a while, but I don't mind) - and two young guys who lived in the building came and dug me out.

there are some good people in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
I would do the same. Hand him an envelope with the cash, tell him how wonderful he is, and it is non-negotiable. Share that he is always doing for others, and for him to not deny you the same blessing! WIN-WIN for both. He sounds like a very special man. You are lucky to have him as a friend/neighbor. I am sure he will miss you.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:01 AM

CC,
I think you're right - this person has a lot of pride.
I will think about your suggestion.

about furniture- I am thinking of my bed. I guess the rest of it could go earlier, but I have little enough that it can all go in one or two trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
ell, great news. Perhaps a large gift card to a grocery store instead of cash? It's amazing, the pride that these older folks have.

Why does furniture have to go last day?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,278,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
I'd like to hear about anybody's last day of the move - if you have already done it, or are contemplating it.
I have just begun, and I am already worrying!

Here is what I think - (recall my move is only one block away)

naturally my furniture has to go on the last day.

my food has to go on the last day. Obviously, now that I have begun the countdown, I will be conscious of what I am buying.. but I still gotta eat!

so I thot I could get a big cooler thing to transport frozen food in, but that would be a waste of $ cuz I'd never use it again, plus I have no storage in my new abode.

so am thinking if I just put the stuff in a box and carry it across the way, that should be OK.

the thing I worry about the most are those things you need immediately (even more important than food) - toothpaste, pills, coffe and cup, gad - my list of things to do, etc.

so I would like to find some stand-out box to put these things in - I am looking for but haven't yet found - a colored box. Some bold container.

bec. my fear is that even if I label boxes, which I do, I don't want to go thru a stack of over 50 boxes, looking for the ones that contain my nightgown and my soap.

Would love to hear any of your thoughts on "The Last Day".

We also moved one block away. It SHOULD have been done in one/two days but we hired the wrong moving company. They were supposed to pack for us and they didn't do EVERYTHING. Even though the majority of stuff have been moved (most furniture) there are still things and a couple pieces of furniture left to move over. It really should be finished by now but it is not. This move is taking a LONG time to accomplish-and it is only a block away. But, we do have the luxury of taking our time.

Cat

Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 AM

elln, get yourself one of those folding shopping carts, you will love it. I got mine at a garage sale. You will be able to wheel two to four boxes over there at a clip.

You could get an air mattress for the last night......I have two I never use anymore. WTH I am saving them is beyond me.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 AM

CC, normally I could do this.
But at the moment, I have a torn meniscus, so on doctor's orders, I am to walk as little as possible.

so I have to take it easy, just do a little every day, with help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
elln, get yourself one of those folding shopping carts, you will love it. I got mine at a garage sale. You will be able to wheel two to four boxes over there at a clip.

You could get an air mattress for the last night......I have two I never use anymore. WTH I am saving them is beyond me.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:00 AM

Eek, that's awful, but this would be a great opportunity to hire your gentleman and possibly another hand to move you. It would give you the opportunity to assign the job, so as not to be a favor, and pay him a real wage. You could also provide a lunch which is commonly done for movers.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
Everything in the apartment is packed!!! I packed it all last night!

We have a total for 5 people, 4 dogs and 1 cat in a 2bdrm 1 bath apartment:
40 boxes, 6 baskets and the rest is furniture.

We have had a TON of trash so thats why only 40 boxes. the baskets are clothes. Tomorrow we will take apart the furniture and pack up the food in the fridge.
-------------------

As for last day ellenrr:
I kept a few boxes open- like the bathroom box so i can get soap, etc. Same with kitchen. The food will go into a basket.
Now i will say I thought " hey im going to label every box and have a fancy label system" but because we dont have that much stuff, it would have been a waste. We dont have enough kitchen stuff to need a fancy kitchen label. We have a few boxes that have misc things in them.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:05 PM

Holy cow, ohky! Success! Congrats!!!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:10 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
Cleaned the bathroom sink, tub and toilet tonight. Im about to clean the oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues