Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 02:59 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times

Advertisements

Ell, congrats on gettin' her done!!!!!! Enjoy unpacking and redecorating!

Restrain, to you, too, hope things shake out well.

MBryant, that sux about the dryer, maybe it's just the belt?

Maven, scary about your daughter, glad everyone is alright. You were smart to hire packers/laborers.

I wish my mom would but she's so tight. She is going to take pennies on the dollar for her antiques rather than fork over the cash to move it. Insane. Yeah, she has the money.

Had a great week on the bay, waiting for batteries to charge so I can photo some old bags. A classic Gucci satchel from the early 80's, a gorgeous Donney & Bourke lilac signature fabric and leather bag, two Coach signature bags.

This sounds horrible but a gal in the checkout ahead of me was a tatood fattie biker looking thing carrying a Coach CC signature fabric bag. It was at that moment I decided to sell anything with a big logo print. Princess Catherine would approve.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:55 PM

151 posts, read 203,888 times
Love this thread, have been reading through the posts, in between the "diary" type updates you guys offer lots of encouragement and handy tips! Thank you!

We are gearing up to move over 2000 miles away, and have been in this house for 14 years, two children, so we have accumulated a ton of stuff. We do not have a move date yet, it's more along the lines get the house ready to stage/list, send out resumes, and go from there.

So far I've probably donated around 10 bags of clothing, have sold/swapped (and donated) around 150 books, have donated many boxes full of misc items. We've sold our patio table/chairs, a foyer table, and a vehicle. I shredded old papers (5 bags worth ). As I sort I pack what we will keep, but won't be using right away. I packed 3 boxes of games today as I want to begin emptying out our formal dining room (which is really our homeschool room but we need to revert it back to list it). I have 5 tall bookcases in there and one short one and I'd like to whittle it own to 1 bookcase if I can, just of things we will actively use for the time being.

This decluttering/purging feels really good! At first it was a little hard but now it's getting easier and easier. Do I REALLY want to move this 2000+ miles? I think about staging and what will our house need to look like when we list it and that is helping too.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:57 PM

labella, welcome and keep posting! Where are you moving from and to??

Old 07-28-2014, 02:06 AM

512 posts, read 948,027 times
I haven't posted in a while..i have been trying to pack a few boxes every day. Less than 2 weeks til I get the keys to my new place which is when i will set up my home office and a few other things. Less than 3 weeks til I have the truck and move everything else. I just finished packing box #13 for my kitchen..almost done and i have a small kitchen!! I was feeling like i was about 2/3 packed but after that not so sure...i have been giving things away like crazy to my daughter and my neighbors as i am downsizing FINALLY lol I have been on this moving forum for a few years..went from a 3 bdrm home to a 2 bdrm apartment in another state..slowly but surely my life is getting simpler

Old 07-28-2014, 05:36 AM

Hi CCc, we are currently in the Atlanta metro area and are looking to move to Idaho. I know, total change of worlds, and that is what we want! We want less heat/humiity and traffic, and more four seasons, nature, and a slower pace. The goal right now is Spring/Summer 2015 but I'd leave sooner if we could pull it off. I'm so ready to move back into true four seasons!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 AM

LOL labella, after 21 years here we are done with seasons. Can't wait for Florida next year.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:41 AM

LOL, that's funny. I grew up in the west/midwest but have been in GA for over 25 yrs, we are ready for change, can't believe how excited my kids are. Funny how we all want something different.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
CC, we're happy with our move. We're committed to FL for at least the next 8 years, while DD goes to HS and then college.

So far, loving it - even the heat isn't *that* bad.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:19 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Kab0, it is nice down here, isn't it. Been down here a month, no regrets.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Nice to read how everyone is doing. I've posted before but it's been almost two weeks. Hopefully my family situation has calmed down and now I am FINALLY down at our lake house for good! Except now I'm faced with the multitude of boxes that still need to go through. This will be the second round of downsizing. I'm working in the kitchen, slowly. Got so much and need to find places for it. Wednesday I'm checking out a thrift store I've found nearby to see what they are willing to take. I'm also realizing that I really need to go through my clothes again, not much closet space here! Good luck to everyone no matter where you are in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues