Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 AM

128 posts, read 151,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I should take a pic, it looks like a bomb went off in here!
Don't feel bad, our room and storage have both looked like that for weeks because I've been slowly sifting through things. I just look at the chaos now and realize it will be over in about 8 weeks.

Stay sane! It's almost over

Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Heck, it's making me nuts and we're a year out Hugs all around! {{{{{{{}}}}}}}

Old 07-01-2014, 08:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,081 times
just found this thread. it looks very helpful.
I'm not going to read the previous 78 pages (!) but evidently people are saying where they are in the process and supporting each other.
good!
I am moving in the month of July into Senior Housing one block from where I now live. I am just starting the moving process.. Unlike many of you, who are probably in houses, I am in a 1-bedroom apartment.

but I've been here 20 years, and this is a daunting task.
plus I am single, 67 y-o, with a bad leg. (that I'm not sup'd to be on)
but I gotta move now, or lost the apt,which I was on a waiting list for 3 years for.

so it is.

I have good friends who will help me, but obviously the responsibility is mine.

I am making lists - eg of address changes.

any helpful hints of address changes?
Many can be changed online, which is a help.

so tomorrow 2 friends will come over (separately) for a couple of hours each.
I will start in the back room, my plan is to organize, some of my stuff is already in boxes from my last (attempted - not completed) move.

I can only do a little at a time, so I envision 3 weeks.

I have not yet got a mover- (I posted on another thread about that)

will look forward to following everyone's progress.

good luck.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:08 AM

have you seen this:
Colored Packing Tape, Color Coded Tape in Stock - ULINE

Colored Packing tape.
so you can organize boxes by room.
I haven't used it, don't know how strong it is.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,071 times
Ellenrr - my BEST piece of advice is to get rid of excess stuff, NOW, before you get into the new place. If you haven't used it in six months to a year, let it go.

I am another one that is tired of moving. I am 51, my dh, is 65. Last November, we sold our home in OK(used POD), and did some travel until moving into our temporary apartment Jan 26, 2014. We are now in the process of moving from here to a condo where we will be renting/house sitting for a family member for 18-24 months. The catch is that their place is fully furnished so we are having to work our things in between theirs.
We have no idea when and where we will be settled. We plan to buy a small home.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Default yes, I know I should.

it's hard, but this is an opportunity to get rid of stuff.

wow. you are doing a lot of moving!
I'm sure you are looking forward to being settled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
Ellenrr - my BEST piece of advice is to get rid of excess stuff, NOW, before you get into the new place. If you haven't used it in six months to a year, let it go.

I am another one that is tired of moving. I am 51, my dh, is 65. Last November, we sold our home in OK(used POD), and did some travel until moving into our temporary apartment Jan 26, 2014. We are now in the process of moving from here to a condo where we will be renting/house sitting for a family member for 18-24 months. The catch is that their place is fully furnished so we are having to work our things in between theirs.
We have no idea when and where we will be settled. We plan to buy a small home.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
it's hard, but this is an opportunity to get rid of stuff.

wow. you are doing a lot of moving!
I'm sure you are looking forward to being settled.
PLUS, our son was married June 21st, and we had lots of people in from out of town. Our son and his new bride will be out of the country on work for a while, so no help there.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
I agree- get rid of anything and everything you can.

and we are moving from an apartment to a house

-------------------
Im not doing much until hubby gets home today, tackling more of the misc little things that dont really have a box or room to go into.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:47 AM

500 posts, read 1,174,066 times
I'm so flipping irritated right now, I had to come here to vent.

I took a car load of household goods to a second hand store here in town, that I shop at a lot, too. They've changed their policies, and are no longer taking anything unless they can sell it for at least $10 (they mark up items 3x what they pay you for them; they'd give you roughly $3.30 and sell it for $10.)

No small pictures or mirrors or baskets or nicknacks etc. no storage containers unless it's Tupperware or Rubbermaid brands. They said they're moving away from small items to sell only larger items/furniture.

Ironically, I sold a black desk there a few weeks ago for which they gave me $12 for, and today they had an identical desk there only white, and they were selling it for $92! Mine came with a chair and didn't even cost that brand new!

I won't be shopping there anymore. That's where I bought little household items myself. And why would I spend just as much or more on a large item there as I would brand new?

Now I have TWO carloads of stuff and nowhere to take it to sell. I could donate to Goodwill, but it's nice stuff and I don't itemize enough on my taxes to make a tax deductible donation matter, so if just be giving it away for free. And I don't have time nor energy to do a yard sale. And people won't buy $1 or $2 items from craigslist, either. So it looks as though I'm doomed to find somewhere to store this junk that I don't have room for in the new place!

Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I'm so flipping irritated right now, I had to come here to vent.

I took a car load of household goods to a second hand store here in town, that I shop at a lot, too. They've changed their policies, and are no longer taking anything unless they can sell it for at least $10 (they mark up items 3x what they pay you for them; they'd give you roughly $3.30 and sell it for $10.)

No small pictures or mirrors or baskets or nicknacks etc. no storage containers unless it's Tupperware or Rubbermaid brands. They said they're moving away from small items to sell only larger items/furniture.

Ironically, I sold a black desk there a few weeks ago for which they gave me $12 for, and today they had an identical desk there only white, and they were selling it for $92! Mine came with a chair and didn't even cost that brand new!

I won't be shopping there anymore. That's where I bought little household items myself. And why would I spend just as much or more on a large item there as I would brand new?

Now I have TWO carloads of stuff and nowhere to take it to sell. I could donate to Goodwill, but it's nice stuff and I don't itemize enough on my taxes to make a tax deductible donation matter, so if just be giving it away for free. And I don't have time nor energy to do a yard sale. And people won't buy $1 or $2 items from craigslist, either. So it looks as though I'm doomed to find somewhere to store this junk that I don't have room for in the new place!
I understand your irritation and disappointment. With that said, go to the donation center of your choice, and drop the stuff off. It will allow you to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues