Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:51 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times

Advertisements

It seems I am limited to Budget or Uhaul for a truck rental. Penske and Ryder are unavailable to my destination. Uhaul is most unrecommended. Any comments on Budget truck rental?
Thanks,
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 05:16 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi
It seems I am limited to Budget or Uhaul for a truck rental. Penske and Ryder are unavailable to my destination. Uhaul is most unrecommended. Any comments on Budget truck rental?
Thanks,
Don
I rented a large Budget truck when I moved from Colorado to Michigan. What can I say, it didn't break down. A friend had recently used UHaul to move from CO to PA. Something on the tow-dolly broke, her car came unhitched, was trashed and she was having a terrible time with UHaul.

The truck I rented had a broken governer. Which meant I could go just about as fast as I wanted, boy it sure was fun zipping past other slow moving trucks at about 90mph, bwahahahahaha.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:18 AM

27 posts, read 174,181 times
Budget for reliability.

Uhaul gives storage for 30 days for interstate moves.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:12 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
travelling_paws said:"I rented a large Budget truck .... it didn't break down. A friend had recently used UHaul ....something on the tow-dolly broke, her car came unhitched, was trashed and she was having a terrible time with UHaul."

Mike BFE says: That's why all of MUST check with our own auto insurance providers as to what WE are covered for - anytime we RENT a vehicle. I'm sure that U-Haul is telling your friend that it is her liability, it may even be in the fine print of the rental contract.

travelling_paws said: "The truck I rented had a broken governer. Which meant I could go just about as fast as I wanted, boy it sure was fun zipping past other slow moving trucks at about 90mph, bwahahahahaha."

Mike FBE says: Cool! I hated the governor on my Ryder truck, wish I had known how to disconnect that darned thing.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:59 PM

149 posts, read 1,097,850 times
Have you checked out u-pack? We were going to use Penske, but decided to use ABF/U-pack to make the move a little easier. They seem to have a good reputation (at least what I've read).

Hopefully, I'll still have a good opinion of them after we finish our move at the end of this month!

Old 08-10-2006, 03:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east
travelling_paws said:"I rented a large Budget truck .... it didn't break down. A friend had recently used UHaul ....something on the tow-dolly broke, her car came unhitched, was trashed and she was having a terrible time with UHaul."

Mike BFE says: That's why all of MUST check with our own auto insurance providers as to what WE are covered for - anytime we RENT a vehicle. I'm sure that U-Haul is telling your friend that it is her liability, it may even be in the fine print of the rental contract.

travelling_paws said: "The truck I rented had a broken governer. Which meant I could go just about as fast as I wanted, boy it sure was fun zipping past other slow moving trucks at about 90mph, bwahahahahaha."

Mike FBE says: Cool! I hated the governor on my Ryder truck, wish I had known how to disconnect that darned thing.
Excellent point about the insurance, Mike - that was a few years back and I can't recall exactly how it all got resolved. It was a classic Saab, I don't think she got what it was worth to her, maybe just book value.

Way back in my younger days I drove a semi OTR. It wasn't as regulated then, and it wasn't difficult to find someone to disable the governer so you could go faster than 57mph.
Of course people who did that were usually found out eventually because of their higher fuel costs.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:39 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
If you get a truck with a standard transmission they usually don't have a governor.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:48 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Thanks to all who responded!
Budget it is.
Don

Old 08-31-2006, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 60,042 times
Thumbs up Budget

I Used A Budget Truck And I Just Would Like To Tell Everyone, That Budget Has Much Nicer Trucks, And The People That Work Their Is Great, Yes You Do Have Some That Are Butt Heads, But What Business Doesnt. And You Need To Check The Prices, Budget Beat U-haul By Tons Of $$$$.u-haul Charges You To Drive Their Crappy Junk, No Running Trucks Too The Nearest Auto Crusher. And Budgets Trucks That We Used Were So Very Nice And Newer. And Anyone I Talked To That Has Used Budget Has Said The Same Thing. So You Go Budget You Are #1, Thanks Wichita Ks, You Were Super Super To Work With, The One By The Base. That Lady Was Wonderful And So Was The Experince. It Will Always Be Budget For Me. The Name Says It All..blueeyes1

Old 09-01-2006, 04:35 PM

393 posts, read 1,880,949 times
Default Budget or Uhaul?

Budget told me they don't rent out trailers.........I don't need a big truck, so am I stuck with U-haul? They want to charge me $243 to order, and put in a hitch for my car, plus then I have to rent the trailer.....? And, I may never use the hitch again......LOL. I might as well drive a budget truck with my car in it........I am not sure if I trust tow dollies! Thinking about leaving everything behind but what I can fit in my car...That would be the easiest thing to do.......UGH! The only problem is, I have a small car! GGGGGGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues