Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 08:30 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,933 times

Advertisements

Buy a nice aerobed. It'll come in handy again someday.

When I moved from PA to FL I had an airmatress from walmart. The brand escaped me now, but I remember it was about $70 for a double size and I actually loved it SO much I ended up sleeping on it for several months! My father slept on it during a visit and actually commented on how comfortable it was.

I didn't have any furniture for about a week. I read a lot of books in my airbed and took a lot of walks :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 07:14 AM

13 posts, read 22,423 times
Yep, laptops, blow-up mattresses, camping chairs, small table (we bought a cafe table/chairs when we reached our destination) and of course any pets/supplies you may have. Did this a few times - once for 3 months!!! Makes you appreciate a real bed when it arrives. Don't forget a coffee maker and a few pots/pans. You can always eat from disposable dishware.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:11 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisbabe View Post
Yep, laptops, blow-up mattresses, camping chairs, small table (we bought a cafe table/chairs when we reached our destination) and of course any pets/supplies you may have. Did this a few times - once for 3 months!!! Makes you appreciate a real bed when it arrives. Don't forget a coffee maker and a few pots/pans. You can always eat from disposable dishware.
Yes, yes! The coffee maker is a yes!

Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 AM

170 posts, read 311,670 times
I will be making the move from PA to OR in 10 days. We will beat our furniture by a week. We plan on bringing our air mattress and a set of old sheets with us. Once we arrive, we will go out and buy a new couch since we currently have a ratty couch. Since it will probably take a day or two for delivery of that couch, we plan on buying two camping chairs as well.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:49 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
I timed it so I would get there the day before, spend the night in a hotel and meet the movers the next day.

The truck was in an accident on the interstate. The DOL impounded it. Moving company refused to tell me what was going on. On about the third day, they finally told me. My stuff was about TWO WEEKS late. Not fun. I bought an air mattress, some cheap cooking items.

Didn't even get a partial refund, and of course you have to pay the balance just to get your stuff off the truck.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:56 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhendera View Post
Hi all!

We're moving from the San Francisco Bay Area to the North Carolina triangle area in November, and one thing about the whole move has me stumped: What to do before your furniture arrives? We (my husband and I) would be making the drive in four days with our dog, two cats and a cockatiel. Obviously this is already going to be 'fun' with so many pets, but then what after we arrive and our furniture isn't there yet? Even if I manage to get a place to live lined up, that doesn't mean we'd have a place to sleep.
Would you rent something through airb&b? hotel? those things seem pretty expensive (and hard to find with so many pets!) any options I am not thinking of? Airbeds until the stuff arrives? hnngrh! I would love to hear what you guys would do (or have done!)

Thanks so much!
You're moving without a place to live lined up? Where exactly is the furniture being delivered then?

Old 07-22-2016, 11:15 AM

12 posts, read 19,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
You're moving without a place to live lined up? Where exactly is the furniture being delivered then?
Well seeing as it is a long distance move and it's still 3,5 months away, I don't see how anyone can have a place lined up yet. Have you ever moved long distance?

I will fly over two or three weeks in advance and go apartment hunting, so we have a place lined up by the time we leave. There is no way you can get a rental secured this far in advance.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:16 AM

12 posts, read 19,078 times
Thanks for all the comments and advice everyone! Air mattress it is (and coffee maker, hahaha!)

Old 07-22-2016, 11:48 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Buy a Coleman queen sized airbed and the pump that goes with & sheet set & a couple pillows. I have one in box in closet for when extras show up & we run out of beds. It is surprisingly comfortable...to the point our college son & his roomates each bought one at Walmart for mattresses in their apartment....cheap & portable.

And I have purchased outdoor patio type furniture for temp then later use outside.

Last edited by historyfan; 07-22-2016 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-22-2016, 01:18 PM

291 posts, read 397,730 times
I did the cross country move and had to wait a few days as well. I ended up buying a mattress (placed it on the floor) and a cheap folding chair/table set from walmart. And thankfully, found open wifi until my cable was put in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues