Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 01:50 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
When we arrived at our destination we took our three cats to the new house and set them up in a room with food, water, littler boxes, and toys. We then checked into a hotel coming back to check on the cats daily.
This is a good idea but I wonder if dogs would freak out. Maybe cats are easier.

I'd try to rent something furnished that took pets if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 02:33 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhendera View Post
Hi all!

We're moving from the San Francisco Bay Area to the North Carolina triangle area in November, and one thing about the whole move has me stumped: What to do before your furniture arrives? We (my husband and I) would be making the drive in four days with our dog, two cats and a cockatiel. Obviously this is already going to be 'fun' with so many pets, but then what after we arrive and our furniture isn't there yet? Even if I manage to get a place to live lined up, that doesn't mean we'd have a place to sleep.
Would you rent something through airb&b? hotel? those things seem pretty expensive (and hard to find with so many pets!) any options I am not thinking of? Airbeds until the stuff arrives? hnngrh! I would love to hear what you guys would do (or have done!)

Thanks so much!
When I moved from North Carolina to Pennsylvania, I drove up on my own to start work and stayed at a hotel there for 6 days (I hadn't closed on my house at that time, so that's why I had to get the hotel). Then my husband brought the bed up in his truck bed and a few other things. I bought two barstools to use with our breakfast nook so I had somewhere to eat meals and stuff like that. I don't need much in my house to get by (in fact still have most of the furniture in North Carolina), but it's getting there.

So that's what I did until the furniture arrived.

(If the bed couldn't come up first, I would have had to get an airbed until it got to the house. But I've slept on an airbed for many years, so it would not have been a big deal for a week or so).

Old 07-22-2016, 05:11 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,104,601 times
Quote:
Hi all!

We're moving from the San Francisco Bay Area to the North Carolina triangle area in November, and one thing about the whole move has me stumped: What to do before your furniture arrives? We (my husband and I) would be making the drive in four days with our dog, two cats and a cockatiel. Obviously this is already going to be 'fun' with so many pets, but then what after we arrive and our furniture isn't there yet? Even if I manage to get a place to live lined up, that doesn't mean we'd have a place to sleep.
Would you rent something through airb&b? hotel? those things seem pretty expensive (and hard to find with so many pets!) any options I am not thinking of? Airbeds until the stuff arrives? hnngrh! I would love to hear what you guys would do (or have done!)

Thanks so much!
So you don't have a place lined up where the furniture will be shipped to? That seems like the first order of business to me. How can you decide on the logistics of the move if you don't have all the information (what date you will take possession, what date the moving truck will come, whether the new home will fit the furniture you have, etc.)

Old 07-22-2016, 05:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Well seeing as it is a long distance move and it's still 3,5 months away, I don't see how anyone can have a place lined up yet. Have you ever moved long distance?

I will fly over two or three weeks in advance and go apartment hunting, so we have a place lined up by the time we leave. There is no way you can get a rental secured this far in advance.
I missed the part about it being a few months out. My bad.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:24 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I missed the part about it being a few months out. My bad.
Me too.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:42 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
We have not sold our house yet, or bought another, but my husband is in a panic about the time delay in moving furniture to new home, driving up from Florida to Pa. with 2 cats, and getting to new house before the furniture arrives.

My thinking is find a hotel in the local area that will accept pets for a couple of days. Better that we all be together somewhere other than a strange, empty house with movers bringing in furniture.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
We did a combo of a hotel room - kept the pets at the new house - and air mattress. Not glamorous, but it's only a few days.

We also had to buy some new furniture. We arranged to have delivery made the day after we arrived.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:07 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Blow up bed mattress, couple cheap umbrella patio chairs, which are actually comfortable. You can rough it a couple days.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:40 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Hi all!

Thanks so much!

We made the trip from Long Island to Florida with a newborn and a dog. Our furniture didn't arrive for a week or more. We bought paper plates, plastic cups and utensils. They didn't have airbeds back then so we bought the floats that you use in the pool in extra large and slept on them. If was hell at the time but now I look back at the experience fondly.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:01 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
If not mentioned before, I would seriously consider selling what you can in SF, and then buying new, or, as often the case is, buying at a quality consignment store, in your new location.

Much, much cheaper than shipping all that furniture. Of course, if some has true sentimental value that is a different thing. I've even picked up the odd thing at the Sally Ann stores, although most of that stuff is way too dated, and often of questionable quality. Many of the good quality consignment stores will not even take the usual press wood furniture so prevalent today.

Last edited by cupper3; 07-23-2016 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues