Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida Southern in Culture?
Yes 8 34.78%
No 2 8.70%
Just Northern Florida 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:38 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
In the South, people sit on their front porches and wave.
O.o

And I suppose they pick banjo all day to?

Actually the last time I saw a person sitting on their porch and waving at passers-by was in Watkins Glen New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 07:55 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,128,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How can you explain Waffle Houses in Key West or Key Largo?
there's waffle houses in New Jersey. does that make it southern?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
The old waffle house BS again huh? We need a hysterical laughter emoticon. XD

Old 01-15-2011, 06:31 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
No that was a plot by southerners to take over a port by serving up fresh bacon and waffles.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,625 times
Where I grew up in Florida, it was very much southern in culture. Panama City and Tallahassee have changed a lot over the years. Tallahassee more so...excluding Panama City Beach. There have been so many transplants that it was inevitable. I would still consider those areas southern in culture, but it has changed a lot. Panama City is still L.A. though....and if you get outside of Tallahassee just a bit, it ain't so different than it was.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 AM

639 posts, read 1,290,095 times
Only north Florida is southern.
Every city in Florida south of Gainseville has a very latin influence, and a higher population density than truly southern cities.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 AM

I still stand by the fact that Florida is southern despite it's transplants. It is undeniably southern by location and climate. And even if you were to go all the way down to the everglades I'm certain you could still find some traditionally southern families.

Also population density has nothing to do with southern or not. It's simply how the city grows.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM

122 posts, read 181,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Being native to Florida does not southern make. Most of the people I know who were born in Florida were born to northern or mid western parents and therefore exhibit culture more similar to those places. Even people I knew growing up who's family was originally from Florida (for multiple generations), were beginning to "neutral out" due to the large influence of northerners in this state. Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't classify Florida as southern, because it is in the south. I'm also not saying "southern culture =insert random stereotype here." I just want folks to consider that in many parts of Florida, most of the people one might know are from somewhere else. All that mixing dilutes one cultures prevalence over another and gives the area sorta a transient, come as you are appeal. Oh and most of the people I've encountered in Central or South Florida with southern accents moved here from places like NC, SC, or GA to be near the ocean, escape crazy families, or whatever their personal reason may be.

And honestly this is what I think it comes down to. Wherever a person's family originated, they often find that culture and those customs assimilated into their own lifestyles. Notice how I said often and not always because some people might seem to Isolate themselves from their family's customs in favor of a new identity. With all of that being said, my family has been in florida for four generations. And even before that, my ancestors came from places like Alabama and Kentucky. I don't have any ties to the north whatsoever. So I dont identify with that culture. Neither do many of my friends. The scenario u described may hold true in alot of cases but not all

Old 01-20-2011, 03:43 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Only north Florida is southern.
Every city in Florida south of Gainseville has a very latin influence, and a higher population density than truly southern cities.
Just because it has a higher population density does not mean they aren't Southern cities. When you say Latin influence, you could probably start excluding most of Texas considering they also have a huge latin influence. Point is, born and bred Central Floridian blacks who pronounce back as bike believe they are Southerners and born and bred Black Americans in South Florida believe they are Southerners.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Just because it has a higher population density does not mean they aren't Southern cities. When you say Latin influence, you could probably start excluding most of Texas considering they also have a huge latin influence. Point is, born and bred Central Floridian blacks who pronounce back as bike believe they are Southerners and born and bred Black Americans in South Florida believe they are Southerners.
And several whites there are southern as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.