Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida Southern in Culture?
Yes 8 34.78%
No 2 8.70%
Just Northern Florida 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Good point! One of the striking things about the survey I posted above is the "gap" between the percentages of those who said they lived in the South and considered themselves Southerners. This is particularly noteable in Florida. And, to a lesser extent, in Texas and Virginia as well. All of these states having high numbers of migrants and immigrants from not only outside the South, but outside the United States as well. But even if traditionally accepted "Deep South" states, one finds some chasm between the two questions.

It would stand to reason this suggests that while many residents of these locales may acknowledge they live in a Southern state, they do not personally think of themselves as Southerners in the sense of feeling any deep historical/cultural connection with the region.
and lived there for 58 years. I moved to Florida 3 years ago. Does that really make me a Floridian, let alone a Southerner? I have actually had people on this forum who say yes. That is absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 02:19 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
and lived there for 58 years. I moved to Florida 3 years ago. Does that really make me a Floridian, let alone a Southerner? I have actually had people on this forum who say yes. That is absurd.
I agree.

We could also argue that individuals who have lived the majority of their lives in a foreign country, only to become naturalized, aren't true Americans. I agree with this as well.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:57 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,621,258 times
Florida is very odd in terms of being southern. The farther north you go in Florida the more southern it becomes.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:34 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,751,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
FL natives don't always equal southern in culture. Especially if they were born in the 70s and beyond. I was born in FL (orlando metro) yet all of my family is from Long Island and I don't live the southern life style. I'll admit that I have been exposed to it often while living here and I'm good friends with people who are truly southerners and sometimes I will do things with them like fish, and what not but I'm no southerner.
You and me are very similar. I am a Floridian born and raised in the Tampa Metro, yet I have no accent, and I don't like NASCAR or mudding or Grits even. My mother's family is from Michigan and my Father was an Air force brat and lived in New Hampshire before moving to FL. I have also been exposed to Southern culture while living here, but its just isn't me.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Florida is a southern state. Texas is a southern state. Virginia is a southern state. No shame about it!

But were talking about Florida here. Northern Fla has much of the South left in it. Central and Southern Fla has some mix of other cultures, but remains basically southern. By southern, I mean physical and cultural properties that just work in the South. You can't remake a basically hot climate mild winter southern state into something like up north. I know many have tried, but the South will always win out simply because southerners know how to live in the South. Could we improve on somethings? Yes indeed

Old 08-16-2010, 05:58 AM

I don't think any of us, including the OP, are talking about warm weather making a state southern. We drove through that blizzard in North Carolina and Virginia last winter. They aren't southern states? It snows in other southern states too.

Weather isn't the issue.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,840 times
Northern and Central Florida are Southern. South Florida is definitely a northern state.
Virginia South of Fredricksburg is a southern state.
Texas....well Texas is its own state.

This is the best though.

Hilton Head Island is northern...very northern. The rest of Beaufort County and S.C. is very southern.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:23 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
I think "Just Northern Florida" was an important distinction.
I think there are rural areas throughout the state that are Southern including some in Central and South as well. The major cities (South FLorida, Orlando, Tampa, Naples, Key West even) have all had influxes of other populations (Latino, Midwest, or Northeastern US being the largest) that dillute the Southern culture. Here is my take on the culture overall:

1 - Orlando: Largest PR population outside of PR. A lot of transplants from accross the country but mainly the Northeast.

2 - Tampa: Less transient but more retirees throughout St Pete and the area. Some midwest culture as well.

3- Miami: A lot of Cuban, Carribbean, other Latino, and NE transplants.

4 - Naples: Many retirees from the NE and Midwest.

5- Ft Myers/Cape Coral: Many Midwest transplants.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 AM

Default The interior is more southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I think "Just Northern Florida" was an important distinction.
I think there are rural areas throughout the state that are Southern including some in Central and South as well. The major cities (South FLorida, Orlando, Tampa, Naples, Key West even) have all had influxes of other populations (Latino, Midwest, or Northeastern US being the largest) that dillute the Southern culture. Here is my take on the culture overall:

1 - Orlando: Largest PR population outside of PR. A lot of transplants from accross the country but mainly the Northeast.

2 - Tampa: Less transient but more retirees throughout St Pete and the area. Some midwest culture as well.

3- Miami: A lot of Cuban, Carribbean, other Latino, and NE transplants.

4 - Naples: Many retirees from the NE and Midwest.

5- Ft Myers/Cape Coral: Many Midwest transplants.
than the coasts. You could have included this part in the survey. Transplants/retirees from the north have settled in the coastal cities because most of them want to be near the beaches. Wouldn't you agree with that? You only have to look at the Florida Forum to see it.

There was an interesting article from the Naples Daily News recently. According to the latest Census projections, Naples is now projected to be one third minority, as in Hispanics and Caribbeans. I tried to cut and paste the link but it didn't work. You can google the article if you want to.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:48 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
than the coasts. You could have included this part in the survey. Transplants/retirees from the north have settled in the coastal cities because most of them want to be near the beaches. Wouldn't you agree with that? You only have to look at the Florida Forum to see it.

There was an interesting article from the Naples Daily News recently. According to the latest Census projections, Naples is now projected to be one third minority, as in Hispanics and Caribbeans. I tried to cut and paste the link but it didn't work. You can google the article if you want to.
I see a lot of "surf/beach culture" along the coasts, especially on the atlantic coast from Broward county and up, it even spills into the Orlando metro. A lot of surf competitions and events are held along that streach of coastline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.