Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 PM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think in my own experience, New Yorkers seem the most defensive which is strange and so unnecessary. When I made comments about the devastation of parts of the Bronx & Brooklyn some NY posters went absolutely berserk and did everything to discredit me including my tastes in music and women I never expected that and it has made me wonder why New Yorkers have such thin skins when they in-fact should be very proud and self-confident of their city
They have probably never lived anywhere else and because the national media is where they are, they are used to hearing how great they are. I felt the same way when I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 01:43 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,470 times
i agree w/ this poster,and i probably wouldn't a year or two ago. my view has changed, probably shortly after 9/11. i think the nation was very concerned for their people and the city itself. it was truly a tragedy. i remember how the country pulled together to boost their campaign, when they were worried about economics, etc. i know that many were humbled and were thankful, but new york didn't do it all by itself to get back of its feet. america did a great deal to help, and ultimately, 5 or so thousand lives have been lost, ultimately, in the defense of what happened there.

consequently, many of them do seem to be too self absorbed, ego-centric, and too much about themselves. they do live in a wonderful place with wonderful opportunities that many of us don't readily have at hand. we have to go there to get the experience, and quite frankly, little is done to encourage the average citizen to visit. the city (manhatten) has really become a playground and town for only the rich, well-to-do, corporate workers, who have created a place for noone but themselves.

again, they are the losers, in many ways, as their is so much more to america than new york, regardless of how wonderful it may be. other cities offer experiences that cannot be experienced in new york city. other places in the country are just as beautiful, breath-taking, and worth the time to discover what is outside the new york vibe.

again, there is a whole big world, and believe or not, as big as that apple is, there are still lots of apples worth tasting in the u.s. and the world.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Mid-sized..or "regional" cities.

Any big city not on the coast.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:07 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Atlanta, New Orleans, New York, Phoenix, the state of Mississippi, Houston, Dallas, D.C., etc

Old 02-26-2011, 05:50 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,881 times
Greenville, SC. You can't say anything unfavorable about that area without its residents crying about it and ready to wage war against you.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:15 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
I'm surprised at how defensive many people get over the Southeast in general. On the forums they may actually get a bit angry, but in "real life" they mainly just seem to act like you must be a bit loony to not like it here. This is especially true if, for some insane reason, you don't enjoy the wretched, humid, seven month long summers. Surely no sane person would prefer temperatures below 85 in the summer! Many will whine when it's 40 degrees in the winter but if you whine when the heat index is 110 then they act like you must be a nut. I've also encountered many people who can't understand why anyone would want to leave the conservative south for even a moderately liberal place. The fact that maybe every one here isn't actually conservative never seems to occur to them. In fact, the idea that everyone here may not be satisfied with the region in general seems to never occur to them. And on the forums, they definitely don't want outsiders to see that maybe this isn't the greatest place on Earth. Of course that goes for other forums, as well.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:28 PM

39 posts, read 41,166 times
Atlanta by a far margin

Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snitch View Post
Atlanta by a far margin
To be rather honest, I don't think Atlantans exhibit defensive mentalities the way most people think

Atlanta is a city that built itself very recently, it retains prominent history, and its a leading cultural area for its region. Atlantans would most possibly like people to acknowledge some of that at least.

But the people on this site are too busy clinging to things to make Atlanta look bad, and its perfectly understandable for someone to come to their city's aid and defend it. To me, I approve what Atlantans do, they don't discredit any cities and only wish to defend and educate others of their own, and in my book thats perfectly sane and respectable.

Just my opinion though, many will see it differently.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
To be rather honest, I don't think Atlantans exhibit defensive mentalities the way most people think

Atlanta is a city that built itself very recently, it retains prominent history, and its a leading cultural area for its region. Atlantans would most possibly like people to acknowledge some of that at least.

But the people on this site are too busy clinging to things to make Atlanta look bad, and its perfectly understandable for someone to come to their city's aid and defend it. To me, I approve what Atlantans do, they don't discredit any cities and only wish to defend and educate others of their own, and in my book thats perfectly sane and respectable.

Just my opinion though, many will see it differently.
The impression I get from Atlanta forumers is: "we're growing hand over fist, so that must mean we're the best place to be and your place must therefore suck".

Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 AM

822 posts, read 2,202,091 times
I've lived in the Tampa, Florida area now for awhile and it makes me laugh in a good way that I hear people say they love it or hate it and no one seems to throw a fuss about either answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.