Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times

Advertisements

Atlanta by far!
Except I have no clue why, the city has nothing special that you can't do in numerous other cities.

then you have NYC, DC, Chicago, SF, Philly
These cities I can understand why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:41 AM

61 posts, read 197,342 times
lol this topic makes me laugh, because alot of people in my city talk about how much they hate it here XD
if you don't like it, leave it.
i can understand having some pride in where you're from, but some people take it to a WHOLE new level. for real, whats so great about cities like NY, chicago and san francisco? one new yorker i met got defensive just because i said new york pizza is still just a pizza :/

Last edited by social bunny; 07-12-2011 at 01:50 AM..

Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 AM

61 posts, read 197,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Not sure if any of those have a rep of defensiveness, but I do seem to recall Corpus Christi people often are annoyed it's not a better known city
what? like i said, everyone i know here always complains how much they hate it and how crappy it is D:
im amazed someone mentioned it at all, i don't think we deserve (or even worth) being well known :/
nuff, said, no more commenting for me

Old 07-12-2011, 09:43 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Atlanta by far!
Except I have no clue why, the city has nothing special that you can't do in numerous other cities.

then you have NYC, DC, Chicago, SF, Philly
These cities I can understand why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
To be rather honest, I don't think Atlantans exhibit defensive mentalities the way most people think

Atlanta is a city that built itself very recently, it retains prominent history, and its a leading cultural area for its region. Atlantans would most possibly like people to acknowledge some of that at least.

But the people on this site are too busy clinging to things to make Atlanta look bad, and its perfectly understandable for someone to come to their city's aid and defend it. To me, I approve what Atlantans do, they don't discredit any cities and only wish to defend and educate others of their own, and in my book thats perfectly sane and respectable.

Just my opinion though, many will see it differently.
Is anyone else watching the same movie that I am?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixFive175 View Post
Seattle wants to be San Fran; San Fran wants to be New York;........and on up the chain it goes.

But if you mention this to any citizens of these cities, be prepared to get shot. .
Not with the gun laws in those places.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
In real life, people from New Jersey are the most defensive in this way, despite the poor reputation that their state has throughout the country.

What a glib response. Most people from NJ know what their state has to offer but get tired of goobers, most of which have never even flown into EWR, ragging on it. Its tough being on top since it becomes a target of the jealous.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:29 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

[quote=goldenchild08;19962076]San Francisco is a city that many natives get defensive about because of the inaccurate stereotypes about The City. Most people believe SF is overpopulated with gay people and that the entire city is rich Asian and White people. This is mostly because the right-wing media has made it a point to make a national joke out of the most liberal county in America that is SF. People from the East Coast and the Mid-West who aren't familiar with SF, outside of a tourist's perspective, also believe that there are no "real ghettos" (whatever that means) in SF. These same types of people believe that Oakland next door is some alternate dimension that is extremely ghetto, dangerous and run-down. Ironically, ghetto people from the hardest hoods in Oakland will be the first ones to tell you that San Francisco is not a soft city and that the hoods in SF are no joke.

DC gets defensive in the same regard...ppl think DC soft bc its the Nations Capitol...If you mention DC in the same breath of Detroit, Baltimore, Miami you'd think DC had the lowest homicide rate thoughout their history....Alot of ppl dont know about local DC period other than the government bc nothing but negativity is portrayed about DC through the media's eye

Old 07-12-2011, 04:32 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

New Yorkers haven't seen hills with houses on them that are almost as tall as skyscrapers. New Yorkers also haven't openly smoked potent medical marijuana in a dispensary that resembles an upscale bar. NYers also haven't seen a gang of 6'5" Samoans with long braids wearing tall tees and baggy Girbaud shuttle jeans riding around swerving doing donuts smoking up the block with tire smoke in an old car at a random intersection. And that is just my hometown. Sorry New Yorkers, you haven't seen everything unless you actually leave your city. [/quote]

lets go to SF then....j/k.........no really

Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Is anyone else watching the same movie that I am?
I never said it's a "bad" city, I just said there isn't much the city offers that you can't do in numerous other cities.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:15 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Just go to the WV forum, you'll see how defensive so people get about their cities! No joke right now we are in a huge arguement over which city is better Morgantown or Charleston!

I'm in it, but I think its getting pretty bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.