Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:50 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
um what Detroiters do you know? you must be refering to suburbanites
My family. Yes...suburbanites (except maybe my Grandparents who live in Ford Village right next to the Detroit border). I'm not speaking for everyone though, especially CD Forum posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:26 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,038,961 times
Pittsburgh residents get defensive if you praise the city, and start listing negatives.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:28 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
Fort Worth residents get defensive ONLY when Dallas is involved, I can assure you. It's not all the time, but it happens.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times
I don't perceive New Yorkers as being overly defensive about the city. Arrogant, perhaps...but defensive? No.

New Yorkers don't care what others think about our city because we live in the best city. Furthermore, for every person that puts the city down, there's another who gladly gives it praise.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:08 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times
^Just remember, there are nearly 300 million people who DO NOT live in NYC!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
^Just remember, there are nearly 300 million people who DO NOT live in NYC!
Well, yeah. If all those other people lived there, too, it wouldn't be the best city, it would be the ONLY city. It can only be the best if there is something lesser to compare it, too, right?

Old 01-02-2011, 11:03 PM

822 posts, read 2,203,463 times
I took my first trip around the world about 8 years ago. I drove a car from Boston all the way to Los Angeles across the United States. After that I flew to Bangkok, Thailand hung out a month and then traveled on to Sydney and Melbourne in Australia. I flew on to Europe and went to London and traveled down to Paris. After hanging out in Paris a few days I flew into New York City. I grew up in the United States and I'd always heard and seen all the hype about New York City. It was a neat place but after seeing it with my own eyes and traveling all over it for a week as well as having just gotten back from all those other large foreign cities all I could think was, "I thought New York City would be bigger." A kick A@@ city. But seriously I thought it would be bigger.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I took my first trip around the world about 8 years ago. I drove a car from Boston all the way to Los Angeles across the United States. After that I flew to Bangkok, Thailand hung out a month and then traveled on to Sydney and Melbourne in Australia. I flew on to Europe and went to London and traveled down to Paris. After hanging out in Paris a few days I flew into New York City. I grew up in the United States and I'd always heard and seen all the hype about New York City. It was a neat place but after seeing it with my own eyes and traveling all over it for a week as well as having just gotten back from all those other large foreign cities all I could think was, "I thought New York City would be bigger." A kick A@@ city. But seriously I thought it would be bigger.
LOL. I bet a lot of people think that. I am assuming, however, that when you say you went to New York City, you went to Manhattan--correct me if I am mistaken--and not to Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx and Staten, the other four boroughs of New York City.

Manhattan is not that big, but that's what gives it its character--the fact that so much is packed onto this one small island.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I don't perceive New Yorkers as being overly defensive about the city. Arrogant, perhaps...but defensive? No.

New Yorkers don't care what others think about our city because we live in the best city. Furthermore, for every person that puts the city down, there's another who gladly gives it praise.
I've come across dozens of New Yorkers who got very defensive about the city.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:36 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,615 times
Austin, Texas.

Austinites will be shocked and appalled, (appalled I tell you!) if you do not profess a supreme adoration for Austin and all things Austin. There must be something wrong with you. It doesn't matter if you've lived in Austin your whole life and hold what you feel are legitimate beefs with the place (low-paying jobs, high levels of underemployment, limited economic diversification, poor public transportation for a community which purports to be so "green", a lack of ethnic and cultural diversity--you will be called a reverse racist if you so much as dare point out that Austin tends to be very racially stratified and is not nearly so diverse as it wants to believe it is--limited culinary and cultural offerings, lots of really bad music, an architecturally bland landscape--Austin is just as sprawl-laden and strip-mallified as other Texas cities and is quickly pricing out most of those who live on Austin's sad wages, if you can find a job--and brutally oppressive heat in the summer, among other things). You are probably a "transplant" from California/New York (these are the two states Austinites and Texans love to berate the most, but bear in mind there are people in this town who call Jerry Jones a carpetbagger because he is from Arkansas...yup) if you have the gall to even mention these things. Just shut up and love Austin. And Austinites love to refer to Austin as a "blue dot in a red state", well, that's not exactly true. You should see how some of these so-called progressives tripped when an Indian American organization proposed funding a statue of Gandhi for placement in a local park. People FLIPPED. What? Gandhi didn't play football! Or even the guitar for that matter! And Gandhi certainly didn't ride a Vespa and wear skinny jeans! This is to say nothing of the weekend when Austin closed itself down when it was known that black folks were coming from Dallas and Houston for the Texas Relays. Keep it classy, Austin.

Austin, Texas is geographic onanism if ever there could be such a thing. Seriously. Austin's not that unique, "weird", or different. It may be in the context of Texas, but if that's your metric, then it's not so difficult to be considered "different".

Last edited by Nomadic9460678748; 01-03-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.