Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:44 AM

591 posts, read 926,172 times

Advertisements

As I found out... Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,911 times
I live in Florida now. Some guys from Portland, Oregon checked into our hotel the other night. I mentioned that I had moved here from Portland and they asked me with a blank stare, "Why would you want to move out of Portland?" I gave a simple but to the point answer, "SUNSHINE."

Old 02-19-2011, 08:07 PM

61 posts, read 85,261 times
Chicago!!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:29 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge31 View Post
Chicago!!
If this is true, it is because of the onslaught of the haters from the east coast that don't have the facts straight.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 PM

61 posts, read 85,261 times
I've lived here for quite a while now...Chicago is very insecure about its status as a world city or whatever...you just played into another major insecurity about Chicago...the ''east coast thing''...people there I've dealt have favorably things to say about it or they know nothing about Chicago. The Chicago vs. New York contest is a one-way deal...NY is not in the contest. Actually, given the latest population figures for Chicago, it seems more apt to compare Chicago with Brooklyn as both have comparable populations....

Old 02-19-2011, 10:02 PM

92 posts, read 180,183 times
(haven't lived in them, going by people i've met from those places, and seen across the net)

nyc
atlanta

Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Plenty of cities fit the bill. But something I see here a lot, and has come to my attention.....

.....People on here get offended and defensive when someone calls their city/state Conservative.

Example: "Lived in Jonestown for about a year, it's kind of conservative".

Jonestown resident: "Oh no you didn't just go call my city conservative!!!!. Have you even lived here recently??? We voted democratic in the last election and we elected a gay sheriff!!!!!!!! Does that sound conservative to you? I don't think so!!!. If you even dare to call my city conservative again, I'll report you and call Mr. T to pity you!!!!"

Ok, maybe not that dramatic, but you get the idea. I'm pretty moderate myself but I just don't get why people get so bent out of shape when someone says their city is conservative in any way. Is it really that worth getting upset at? Perhaps we should just label cities as only "moderate" and "liberal''.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Plenty of cities fit the bill. But something I see here a lot, and has come to my attention.....

.....People on here get offended and defensive when someone calls their city/state Conservative.

Example: "Lived in Jonestown for about a year, it's kind of conservative".

Jonestown resident: "Oh no you didn't just go call my city conservative!!!!. Have you even lived here recently??? We voted democratic in the last election and we elected a gay sheriff!!!!!!!! Does that sound conservative to you? I don't think so!!!. If you even dare to call my city conservative again, I'll report you and call Mr. T to pity you!!!!"

Ok, maybe not that dramatic, but you get the idea. I'm pretty moderate myself but I just don't get why people get so bent out of shape when someone says their city is conservative in any way. Is it really that worth getting upset at? Perhaps we should just label cities as only "moderate" and "liberal''.
Hahaha...that's a good point. I think people get defensive over politics sometimes because they don't like their city being labeled one way or another.

A common misconception: all southern cities are socially conservative. As metro areas, this is probably somewhat true (it certainly is in the burbs), but some city residents will take offense because a lot of the inner cities are fairly liberal or progressive. People don't like being put into a box they don't fit in to.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I live in Florida now. Some guys from Portland, Oregon checked into our hotel the other night. I mentioned that I had moved here from Portland and they asked me with a blank stare, "Why would you want to move out of Portland?" I gave a simple but to the point answer, "SUNSHINE."

I'd of said because I got real tired of hearing how wonderful Portland is. That it got to the point it was nauseating. Yet whenever I went outside all I saw were homeless and vagrants, and strange looking citizens without much ambition. So I really couldn't see what was so wonderful about Portland. Thats why. Those guest at your hotel sound like true Portlanders blank stare and all. Fortunately there are some nice people here, and many don't care for what Portland has changed into. Enjoy Florida.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:08 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
I too notice Northwesterners getting defensive AND "uppidy" about Portland and Seattle. I mean, in their eyes, NOTHING is possibly wrong with their towns and they are infallable. Not only that, but everybody should move there when considering their options, no matter what the person's ideals are. The weather there is superior to any other city because of x, y, or z....and rain is not an issue and people do NOT get down or depressed because of the weather. In fact, there is SO MUCH sunshine and summers are heavenly and winters are exoticly-"lush". The development patterns are dense and perfect -- there is not debate -- and their downtowns and districts are lively and great for singles, couples, kids, empty-nesters, babies, retirees, etc. etc. etc.

.....you get the gist....

I have no problem with hometown pride and some boosterism (hell, they ARE pretty amazing places), but I personally find it more appealing when people are humble and honest about the downsides to living where they live. Because no place is perfect and a person might as well know what they are getting into 100% if they can.

My $0.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.