Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 12:45 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FebruaryAir View Post
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Phoenix
Atlanta
Miami
New Orleans
Houston
Dallas

Portland
Seattle
Redding
El Paso
Oklahoma City
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Nashville
Charleston, SC
DC
New York City
Richmond
As per the Koppen Classification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 07:36 AM

5 posts, read 5,234 times
Default Subtropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Well, we can grow evergreen Southern Magnolia as well as Mimosa trees here in the extreme southern tip of Canada. We are a zone 6B, and have a -3C daily man for our coldest month, January. I guess I'm near the subtropical zone then too!
With your January temps averaging below 0c you are not Subtropical. I didn't say St Louis was either, I said they were in the southern part of Humid Continental.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:51 AM

5 posts, read 5,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Exactly, as somebody who grew up in St. Louis and now lives in Florida (and has lived in a couple other Southern locales) the idea that St. Louis has a subtropical climate is hilarious. St. Louis is not as cold as Great Lake cities, but it's definitely not what I would consider a warm weather climate at all. It gets cold as hell in St. Louis and can stay that way for months at a time. In fact, I think St. Louis is one of the few areas of the country that get's literally all four seasons. Hot and humid summers, beautiful falls, rainy springs, and very cold winters, where it does snow every year. A true continental climate.
Yes it is truly continental (as I said), but it is in the southern part of this climate zone. It can get very cold in St louis, but most other cities farther north in this climate zone are prone to even harsher winter's . Northern Minnesota is also in the same climate zone, and anyone who lives there will tell you that St Louis has it easy when it comes to winter weather. If you like it warm and humid all year, then St Louis would not fit the bill either.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:57 AM

375 posts, read 331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
As per the Koppen Classification.
Miami has a tropical, not subtropical classification as per Koeppen. However, I regard it as transitional.
St. Louis is classified as 'transitional' between subtropical and continental as per Koeppen. I haven't even looked at Cincinnati and Nashville but my guess is they're also transitional.

The true "subtropical" climates would be the gulf coast ones (Houston, New Orleans). I'd say Dallas and Atlanta are tad too cold to be classified as subtropical as you can expect snow there every winter.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:14 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
The map below showcases the zone where the climax ecosystem is broadleaf evergreen forest. This is where you will find your classic humid subtropical climates in the US, wherein winter conditions are actually mild, and not just a warmer version of a continental climate.

Winter insect activity is also a good sell for this. If insects are active even through the dead of winter, then you have yourself a true subtropical climate. The Texas coast, for instance, definitely fits; I saw lots of wasps, ladybugs, bees, etc on flowers, and this was just after the recent freak snowfall.
You raise a good point. Something that shows native vegetation and animal life is going to be more accurate then the overly broad and outdated Koppen system.

I was thinking of Plant hardiness zone maps.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:26 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Miami has a tropical, not subtropical classification as per Koeppen. However, I regard it as transitional.
St. Louis is classified as 'transitional' between subtropical and continental as per Koeppen. I haven't even looked at Cincinnati and Nashville but my guess is they're also transitional.

The true "subtropical" climates would be the gulf coast ones (Houston, New Orleans). I'd say Dallas and Atlanta are tad too cold to be classified as subtropical as you can expect snow there every winter.
Yes, I agree. Koppen may deem most of the eastern US as 'subtropical', but...no.
In my mind, the US subtropics cover the area that hugs the Gulf and south Atlantic coasts from southern NC to about Corpus Christi. Below Corpus I would deem too arid.
And yes, I would deem the southern tip of Florida tropical.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:51 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Well, we can grow evergreen Southern Magnolia as well as Mimosa trees here in the extreme southern tip of Canada. We are a zone 6B, and have a -3C daily man for our coldest month, January. I guess I'm near the subtropical zone then too!
If you have a hardier cultivar, then yes. But the classic variety of Southern Magnolia is rated no lower than USDA Zone 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You raise a good point. Something that shows native vegetation and animal life is going to be more accurate then the overly broad and outdated Koppen system.

I was thinking of Plant hardiness zone maps.
Yep. Natural broadleaf evergreen trees are a good sell, because this is a class of trees with physiology least suited for cold climates: no leaf-drop like broadleaf deciduous trees, and no highly resistant leaves like conifers.

USDA hardiness zone maps are a good reference. I'd say 8B or zone 9 corresponds to the true subtropical zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
In my mind, the US subtropics cover the area that hugs the Gulf and south Atlantic coasts from southern NC to about Corpus Christi. Below Corpus I would deem too arid.
Yes, the Corpus area is around the Texas Coastal bend, where the coastline transitions towards having the Gulf entirely due East. At that point and going southwards, there is a sharp increase in aridity (since the bend is sharp). The climate still is hot and humid like the rest of the Gulf/Atlantic coastal south, just that the rainfall is dramatically less. This dryness continues down through Mexico until around Tampico, at which point you start seeing strong influence from the tropical summer rain belt.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:46 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,744,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
These are the ones I consider subtropical:

Miami
New Orleans
Houston
Charleston, SC

Basically, any city along the Gulf and eastern coast areas that have palmettos. That's a sign of subtropical weather, at least to me. South Florida could pass for Tropical, but in reality its still subtropical, even Key West.

I don't care what places are officially listed as subtropical, if palmettos doesn't grow there (example: NYC), its not subtropical. End of story.
Cities like Shanghai, Wuhan, Tokyo, Birmingham, Nashville etc. doesn't have any palmettos however they are subtropical. Average subtropical climate are not defines by palmettos vegetation but by a sort of "temperate like" vegetation which are suitable with subtropical conditions just like in the cities I mentionned before.

Last edited by Hartfordd; 01-06-2018 at 04:02 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 04:43 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
Cities like Shanghai, Wuhan, Tokyo, Birmingham, Nashville etc. doesn't have any palmettos.
Tokyo and Shanghai can grow lots of palms.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:57 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,744,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Tokyo and Shanghai can grow lots of palms.
Yes, but only anthropically, they will never grow there naturally, look the forest around theses cities, seen from a distance they could be confused with temperate vegetation.

Last edited by Hartfordd; 01-06-2018 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.