Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Although to be fair subtropical plants can grow in northern climates. I have seen hardy palms grow as far north as Switzerland, England, and even parts of southern Sweden. Of course those plants do not naturally grow in those climates with abundance. They only grow there because people plant them in their yards.

Natural tree type is a pretty good indication of what is considered subtropical. I think it is fair to say that most places in the southeastern United States is considered subtropical. Pretty much from early May until September you can get pretty blistering temps with high humidity. Even places in the lower Midwest like Oklahoma, and southern Missouri have subtropical aspects to their climate. Again many of these states easily see 5 months with average temps above 75 degrees with high humidity. The subtropical climate in the United States begins somewhere in central Texas, and stretches east into Oklahoma, Missouri and as far north as Baltimore/DC and south into Florida. The desert southwest is not subtropical because it tends to be fairly dry in the summer, and the nights can be cool due to the higher elevation.

BTW You can easily make the argument that Washington D.C. and the midatlantic is considered subtropical. All one has to do is look at the average summer temps and humidity during the late spring and summer months. D.C. has 5 solid months above 75 degrees. Again the same applies with Baltimore. It has over 5 months with average temps above 75 degrees with high humidity.
May
Average high temperature: 76
June
Average high temperature: 84
July
Average high temperature: 89
August
Average high temperature: 87
September
Average high temperature: 80
Even IF Washington DC and Baltimore really have subtropical weather for FIVE months out of the year, it would mean these cities DON'T have subtropical weather for SEVEN months out of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Nyc, philly, Baltimore,dc all have similar weather. On any given day, there isn't much of a difference in temperature between the four cities.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:13 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I'm gonna say that SE Missouri and extreme SW Illinois are subtropical. Bald Cypress trees in the swamps & small cacti don't seem very "Humid Continental" to me.
I would say you are pretty much on the mark. When I drove thru both areas several years ago, I thought to myself " this isn't the midwest (yet) It is still the south "LOL.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Not really, the true tropics begins at the Tropic of Capricorn (or is it Tropic of Cancer? I forget which one is on the Northern Hemisphere). Quite frankly, whichever of the two Tropics it is, it starts several miles south of Key West.

Only Hawaii (and some of its territories like Puerto Rico, Guam and others) is tropical, as far as the United States is concerned. The rest, not at all.
Then what would Key West be?

Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Then what would Key West be?
I was always under the impression that extreme southeastern Florida; Miami-Dade (including the Keys) & Broward Counties and possibly parts of Palm Beach County are Tropical.

Good evidence of that might include the parrots and other tropical birds that live there year round. Also the large coral reefs that extend from near Miami down to Key West.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,500 times
Being a long time Oklahoma City Resident,i can tell you that OKC does have a Humid Subtropical Climate.Our Winters really arent that Severe(We do get 1 blizzard and a couple of ice storms every year) and in our coldest month the average is 47,and thats in january.We also get alot of rain,but not in the same way that say a place like Mobile gets,we get them in HUGE outbursts.Our summers are hot and extremely humid(except for this summer where its very VERY dry)

Old 08-21-2011, 08:43 PM

650 posts, read 1,629,150 times
Miami looks very different, vegetation-wise, than a typical subtropical city. I definitely wouldn't classify Miami as subtropical. Why is it even on the list?

Old 08-27-2011, 03:40 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,611 times
^Miami itself isn't subtropical, but Palm Beach county and part of Broward is. It's just in a transition zone which is why they look tropical.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pona12 View Post
Being a long time Oklahoma City Resident,i can tell you that OKC does have a Humid Subtropical Climate.Our Winters really arent that Severe(We do get 1 blizzard and a couple of ice storms every year) and in our coldest month the average is 47,and thats in january.We also get alot of rain,but not in the same way that say a place like Mobile gets,we get them in HUGE outbursts.Our summers are hot and extremely humid(except for this summer where its very VERY dry)

The oppressive heat and humidity alone are enough to classify Oklahoma as subtropical. And to the poster above, I am not sure how you can say Miami is not subtropical in climate.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 PM

696 posts, read 1,169,415 times
This might help

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.