Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern Delicacies do you like: Multi-Option
Grits 53 42.06%
Fried Okra 45 35.71%
Fried Chicken 104 82.54%
Turnip Greens 40 31.75%
Homemade Macaroni & Cheese 84 66.67%
Sweetened Iced Tea 67 53.17%
Southern Cornbread 91 72.22%
Chicken & Dumplings 62 49.21%
Red Velvet Cake 56 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,968,633 times

Advertisements

All of them! Especially Chicken and Dumplings, Mac and Cheese, and FRIED CHICKEN.

I normally like my chicken homemade. But if you must buy chicken somewhere, I recommend Frenchy's in Houston. The best damn fried chicken you can buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:07 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Know any good chicken joints in Charlotte?
Price's Chicken Coop

Old 07-19-2011, 02:30 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,509,336 times
My parents were raised in Oklahoma and my grandparents were from Arkansas, so mom's cooking had a bit of a Southwest slant to it. This was one meal she cooked regularly. She said it was a typical "Okie" Depression era meal, but I loved it.

Pinto beans with a ham hock
Fried Potatoes
Corn bread
Mustard or Turnip greens

Other things she cooked:

Chicken Fried Steak (not that deep fryer crap from coffee shops, this was done in a cast iron skillet).
Fried Chicken
Mashed potatoes with cream gravy made from chicken, chicken fried steak or pork chop drippings
Fried Okra
Baked-in-the-oven-from-scratch Macaroni and Cheese
Chicken and Dumplings
Tons of veggies grown in our quarter acre garden

For breakfast she made some of the usual Southern fare:

Buttermilk biscuits
Bulk breakfast sausage mashed into patties or fried ham
Cream gravy made from the drippings or "Red Eye" gravy made from the ham drippings
Fried Potatoes
Chocolate Gravy (kind of like a warm chocolate pudding spooned over biscuits)

Desserts:

Peach or Blackberry Cobbler
Bread Pudding
Banana Pudding
And of course a variety of pies - Custard, Lemon Meringue, Coconut Cream, Raisin, etc...

I don't think there is anything better than a Southern cook - especially one raised on a farm. It may seem like unhealthy food, but we were all healthy and fit growing up and no one suffered from high blood pressure or heart disease. Mom's still kicking at 84, but she doesn't cook anymore - hurts her knees to stand too long.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
I use to eat fried chicken a lot. I cut back on that. I'll eat it but not much. However grits. Jesus I love them. Only with butter and pepper though. I love sweet tea. Not that flavored tea crap. Do not like any drops of lemon in there. Red Velvet cake is my third favorite dessert behind sweet potato pie and banana pudding. Hate okra and turnip greens. Love collard greens though. Where are the yams though?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:44 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Sugar is the best in cornbread, and some butter when it's fresh out of the oven... Can't beat that with a whisk.
Blasphemy.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:57 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,025 times
The sugar goes in the tea, the shrimp go in the grits. With Cherokee Purple tomato, bacon, and some pepper and sweet onions.

For real southern cornbread(centuries old Georgia family recipe, sure, I'll share. It's good!)

2 cups of white self rising cornmeal
1/4 cup of bacon grease(canola oil will work in a pinch)
1 and 1/4 cup of milk
1 egg

Coat an 8" skillet with bacon grease, and put into oven
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Mix the egg, milk, and bacon grease in a bowl.
Add the 2 cups of cornmeal and mix.

Pull preheated skillet from the oven and add your mix. Should sizzle nicely.
Cook for 18-22 minutes.
Let cool for around 30 minutes, or it will crumble when cut.

Serve with beans, eat plain, or try this family favorite: Fill a glass halfway with buttermilk, and add a cake of cornbread to it. You'll need a spoon!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 PM

18 posts, read 18,356 times
Why can't people just flavor their food the way they like? Being from the south doesn't mean everyone has the same tastes. Every now and then, I like milk in my grits. Question my southerness if you dare lol.

Some might find this odd, but the best fried chicken I can remember having was at a Chinese restaurant. Koreans also make the best chitlins.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:39 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,291 times
Anyone else know & like Brunswick Stew? My impression is that it's a Virginia/North Carolina dish; is it known elsewhere?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Anyone else know & like Brunswick Stew? My impression is that it's a Virginia/North Carolina dish; is it known elsewhere?
We have a lot of good Brunswick Stew here in Georgia. Some will claim it came from Brunswick, Georgia.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:36 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Southern Cornbread does not have sugar.
Tell that to people in Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas. I can't stand cornbread unless it has sugar and I haven't come across too many "southern" people in my lifetime that leave sugar out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.