Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:14 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

I haven't traveled enough as an adult to be really shocked about anywhere. As a kid, my parents were big on flying somewhere and going on road trips in the region so I got to go to ALL kinds of podunk places. :P

The only place I've really traveled as an adult was to Nebraska and Kansas. Lincoln was a really nice city... I expected it to be tiny and while I was a little disappointed by the massive urban sprawl, it had a nice character to it. All the little towns we passed by on the way from Lincoln to Kansas were cute too- especially Beatrice, Nebraska. If you blinked, you'd miss half of the towns but they had great local color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 11:51 PM

89 posts, read 100,145 times
I would say Atlanta. I thoguht Atlanta was another one of those places that just deserved to be nuked, but once I moved to go to college there, I began to love it like crazy. I don't care if it's falling apart, or how bad the crime is, Atlanta is such a cool city.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:46 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
Lawrence Kansas, I must say is a really cool town. I used to thing that Kansas' towns weren't much to brag about, but we decided to stop there for a bite to eat. Then we took a stroll downtown. It' really a great charming place. Of course it's a college town, and that makes all the difference.
Lawrence for me as well. A friend of mine from high school moved there because his girlfriend went to attend KU. He had nothing but good things to say about the place so I figured that I'd check it out. Turns out that he was right and my entire year there was a blast.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:49 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
La Crosse, WI
I haven't been there in many years but I did find it to be a fun place. I hear that it has turned into a Mardi Gras almost nightly, though.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:00 PM

57 posts, read 185,103 times
St. Louis.. even though all i did was go up the arch, it was pretty fun, but it was raining, so i didnt have that good of a view. the downtown part is pretty, didnt go anywhere else except for interstate 70....

Old 12-15-2007, 05:02 PM

149 posts, read 454,538 times
Louisville.

I had been on a string of bad project asignments (Monroe LA, Jackson MS, Middle of Nowhere NC). When I got assigned Luoisville I didn't expect much. I was very impressed with the archetecture, the arts, the bars, and the weather.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:20 AM

266 posts, read 911,653 times
I agree with what people are saying about several of these cities. Oklahoma City and Tulsa are worth checking out--I love the mix of Midwestern and Southern culture/friendliness there. To me, Chicago is like a nicer version of New York--cleaner and prettier. When I first visited, I was surprised at just how beautiful Chicago is. I moved to Albuquerque having never even visited before--it was much bigger than I expected and has beautiful scenery. I love the beautiful older neighborhoods in Minneapolis--hard to find neighborhoods like that in many cities, especially out in the West, where I live now.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:01 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times
Thumbs up Chicago

I hadn't been to Chicago for 30 years when I had to go there on business. the company I visited had offices on Wacker Boulevard. WOW, I was so pleasantly surprised to see how clean and upscale that area of Chicago was...just couldn't get over how it did NOT match any of the negative stereotypes.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:16 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
I was pretty surprised that I liked Los Angeles, of course living there would be another story.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Annapolis. Had no expectations and it is a lovely town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.