Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,492 times

Advertisements

AJF, if it's any consolidation I really liked your city when I was there

I was driving cross country a few years ago and stopped for a day in St Louis. Driving across the Mississippi River from Illinois into downtown St. Louis at night was beautiful- the skyline reflecting on the water was very pretty. I think St. Louis has alot of potential.

I agree with the previously mentioned New Orleans. It truly is one of the most unique cities in the U.S. I really hope they get back on their feet: there's really nowhere else quite like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 10:11 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
AJF, if it's any consolidation I really liked your city when I was there

I was driving cross country a few years ago and stopped for a day in St Louis. Driving across the Mississippi River from Illinois into downtown St. Louis at night was beautiful- the skyline reflecting on the water was very pretty. I think St. Louis has alot of potential.

I agree with the previously mentioned New Orleans. It truly is one of the most unique cities in the U.S. I really hope they get back on their feet: there's really nowhere else quite like it.
Compliment taken and appreciated. New Orleans had a lot going for it before Katrina hit it...I really hope that the entire nation does not let that great, unique Southern city go down. President Bush like the ***hole he is completely neglected New Orleans, and State Farm screwed over tons of people in both New Orleans and nearby Bay Saint Louis. I bypassed New Orleans on Interstate 12 two weeks before Katrina hit!!! Btw, question..does New Orleans still have those incredibly delicious hot powdered donuts...I have only visited the city truly one time, and that was 14 years ago. Their donuts tasted like donuts combined with funnel cakes...some of the most delicious food I've ever tasted. I loved everything about New ORleans except the smell lol. Other than that, very architecturally beautiful. New Orleans is like a much grander version of Charleston, South Carolina. I agree, St. Louis does have a lot of potential...currently we are starting to make a comeback. We are gaining population in the city again...lofts are being opened from newly converted buildings all over the city and are selling like clockwork. at least five new skyscrapers have been proposed downtown, 13 proposed new buildings throughout the city. if you spent more time in St. Louis, you would quickly realize that we have a second downtown and that St. Louis County is St. Louis City continued...my experience is that people tend only to focus on St. Louis City, a very small amount of land enveloped by St. Louis County. St. Louis is normally thought of only in its city limits by outsiders...most do not realize that St. Louis County, just six or seven miles from downtown at the maximum, combined with St. Louis City is what St. Louis really is. Out of curiousity, it sounds to me like you were doing all of I-55 from New Orleans to Chicago. Good for you if that is the case. I-57 takes all the fun out of driving from New Orleans to Chicago. I-57 is mostly flat terrain, sometimes hilly, but just cornfields pretty much, maybe a cluster of trees here or there. On I-55, with its close proximity to the Mississippi River and running alongside the Great River Road, basically goes through gigantic river bluffs all the way up to St. Louis, where the terrain then flattens out. Driving is very scenic on I-55 through most of Missouri as I'm sure you noticed. Missouri is a state heavily comprised of river bluffs...often people confuse these with the Ozarks, and as a result some people claim the Ozarks extend as far north as the Missouri River. THe foothills don't actually begin until around Rolla. Anything that you see north and east of there are either the Missouri River bluffs or the Mississippi River bluffs. Great rivers produce seemingly mountainous terrain.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:27 PM

30 posts, read 114,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
Queens. I freakin' loved the week I spent there. It's like the entire world in one place.
As someone who's never been to NYC, are the 5 borroughs distinct? I mean, is NYC composed of 5 distinct downtown areas, or is it more like 5 districts that all look the same?

Hope my question makes sense...

Always wanted to visit NYC. I had an 8-hour layover at JFK, but didn't get to make it into downtown.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:56 PM

492 posts, read 2,372,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorpc View Post
As someone who's never been to NYC, are the 5 borroughs distinct? I mean, is NYC composed of 5 distinct downtown areas, or is it more like 5 districts that all look the same?

Always wanted to visit NYC. I had an 8-hour layover at JFK, but didn't get to make it into downtown.
Manhattan and Queens are pretty different. Same city, but then again different cities. Queens lacks the huge central business districts that Manhattan (or even Brooklyn) has. But it does have tons of little neighborhood shopping areas that vary according to the ethnicity/nationality of the nearby residents. My first night there, I felt like I had left the USA and gone to a random South American city. I was in shops where the Korean or Iranian or Bosnian owners spoke broken Spanish to communicate with their customers. We walked down street after street that were jam-packed with people and I was the only white person I saw! I was still a teenager then and it was a great experience for a kid that grew up in rural, western PA.

But to answer your question, no they don't all look the same or have the same feel. Queens is very residential and lacks the skycrapers that Manhattan has. Even within the boroughs there is a great deal of variety. Brooklyn, for example, has some of the most beautiful urban neighborhoods I've seen (Brooklyn Heights), and also some of worst (parts of Bed-Stuy). Manhattan has lots of variety too, from the huge commercial area with the skyscrapers to residential areas like the Upper West Side, Harlem, etc...

I looooooove New York City!

Old 09-07-2007, 04:04 PM

492 posts, read 2,372,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorpc View Post

Here's a couple pictures that illustrate what I was trying to say...

This is Manahattan. Times Square to be precise.

And this is Queens. The street I stayed on.

Quite different.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:33 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,391 times
I really was surprised about Houston. Houston is a great diverse city!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:05 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Out here on the left coast Cleveland gets a bad rap, but I've visited there several times and found it to be a pretty surprising place. I won't sweep it's problems under the rug, I know the city has more poverty, unemployment and crime that many other big cities. But I enjoy the downtown area and walking along the Cuyahoga River where they have refurbished an old warehouse and industrial zone and turned it into an pretty nice entertainment and dining zone. Seems like every kind of draw bridge or movable bridge ever designed has been plopped down along that river one after another, every one different. Downtown area is very nice too, lots of style and architecture from Cleveland's former days of economic glory.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:38 PM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times
Day trips from Chicago always included: the Dells. Milwaukee Fest,
Benton harbor/ St. Josephs ( clean beaches ) etc.. etc..
It was a trip to St. Louis that pleasantly surprised me.
( being a cub fan it's not easy )
I have never traveled to the south but I felt a southern influence
there - am I wrong ? Nice setting, a little less hectic.

Now there many more cities I expected more than I got
ie: Las Vegas, Denver.

Others still came as advertised such as the San cities

St. Louis defiantly does not suck like the Cardinals

Old 10-18-2007, 08:58 PM

160 posts, read 518,057 times
Cities with a "bad" rap that are not that bad, quite nice actually,

Baltimore
Cleveland
St. Louis
Chattanooga
Birmingham
Tulsa
Omaha

Old 10-18-2007, 09:00 PM

160 posts, read 518,057 times
Cities with a "good" rap that are not so good - keeping it upbeat...

Nashville
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Orlando
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.