Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2022, 10:29 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Could be designed to make it harder for criminals trying to flee into a different jurisdiction. Out here it's very common for criminals to commit offenses in VA and then try to beat the cops to the bridges as to make it into D.C. where the law enforcement response tends to fizzle out.

I know it's no coincidence that there's basically no streets going from Detroit into Grosse Pointe Park other than the main road.
Good guess, but that wouldn't work. If you notice it's just a couple of lightweight barricades to keep people from driving through. If a criminal was fleeing the police they could easily crash right through that with minimum to no damage. It is only an inconvenience to law abiding citizens. The only thing I can think of is that it's designed to stop through traffic from cutting through the neighborhoods. But that would just increase traffic on other streets, by forcing people to drive father around. So the overall impact traffic would be to make it worse, not better and I don't know why they do it right on the city limits.

Looking at the older Streetview images it appears the residents are not too thrilled with the street being blocked either. There used to be a wooden fence across the street and more trees, but people could drive up on the sidewalk to get around it. Then it looks like the City of Mountain View added bollards to keep people from driving on the sidewalks. The residents responded by cutting down the smaller trees and tearing down the fence to make it possible to drive through. The City of Mountain View has now placed temporary barricades there. There must be a neighborhood dispute going on over it.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 12-11-2022 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 11:49 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
If you drive 45 miles per hour on route 66 in Tijeras, New Mexico, your tires will create the tune of America The Beautiful. It was designed that way to get people to slow down in that area.
I think there are three musical highways in the US -- in New Mexico, California and... another place.

Old 12-15-2022, 05:05 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
In California they love to make it difficult to drive from one city to the next. This image is the Mountain View - Sunnyvale city limits. For the car at the right to drive to where the cars on the other side of the trees are is 1.6 miles. In the rush hour that could take 15 minutes. That city limits looks a bit like the US - Canada Border. Maybe next they will put up a fence to make it look like the Mexican border.

When I used to do food delivery there, sometimes I would just park on one side walk into the next city. I don't know why they do it. It seems like a big inconvenience for residents on both sides.
Often, to discourage people on designated arterials from taking short-cuts on residential streets.

Old 12-25-2022, 09:15 AM

1,235 posts, read 945,224 times
Not only that Alert, Nunavut, Canada is the northernmost populated settlement in the world, it's also farther east than all of Maine, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. Alert even has a playground which shows that even the Artic is not too far north to have a playground.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:13 PM

The uS state capital furthest fron an Interstate appears to be Pierre SD. At a quick check, there appears to be nearly a tie -- Dover DE and Jefferson City MO. As the crow flies. Anyone with the patience to check this out, and correct if necessary?

Old 12-25-2022, 08:54 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
The uS state capital furthest fron an Interstate appears to be Pierre SD. At a quick check, there appears to be nearly a tie -- Dover DE and Jefferson City MO. As the crow flies. Anyone with the patience to check this out, and correct if necessary?
Juneau, AK. Not only does it not have access to an Interstate, it doesn't have land access to the outside road system. As the crow flies it's just under 800 miles away from I-5.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:59 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,531,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Juneau, AK. Not only does it not have access to an Interstate, it doesn't have land access to the outside road system. As the crow flies it's just under 800 miles away from I-5.
Juneau is located right on a highway. The Alaskan Marine Highway System.

Old 12-26-2022, 12:45 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
Default Furtherest you can travel in a state and not leave

Driving home from Houston area yesterday to southern New Mexico, and used I-10 for a portion of the drive, though I could have opted to use it the entire run. If you drive it from the Louisiana border to the New Mexico border, that would comprise 877 miles of road. However, if you maintained just one direction, from furthest end of a state to the end of another, what could it be? A case could be made for Texas north to south, from Brownsville to the top of the Texas border, but I-83 would cover about 838 miles within the state. I-5 in California clocks in at just under 800 at 796 miles. I-90 to then I-94 in Montana gets you to 780 miles. Excluding Alaska, which is obviously going to be the winner here, I then shifted to the possibility of Florida. If you were to drive from the Alabama border to Fort Zachary beach at the end of Key West, that number goes up to 867 miles, which pretty much matches Texas going east to west. Are there any other examples to consider?

Old 12-27-2022, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Driving home from Houston area yesterday to southern New Mexico, and used I-10 for a portion of the drive, though I could have opted to use it the entire run. If you drive it from the Louisiana border to the New Mexico border, that would comprise 877 miles of road. However, if you maintained just one direction, from furthest end of a state to the end of another, what could it be? A case could be made for Texas north to south, from Brownsville to the top of the Texas border, but I-83 would cover about 838 miles within the state. I-5 in California clocks in at just under 800 at 796 miles. I-90 to then I-94 in Montana gets you to 780 miles. Excluding Alaska, which is obviously going to be the winner here, I then shifted to the possibility of Florida. If you were to drive from the Alabama border to Fort Zachary beach at the end of Key West, that number goes up to 867 miles, which pretty much matches Texas going east to west. Are there any other examples to consider?
That's lucky --- there's a penalty for taking a rental car out of Florida. Michigan must be on that list, too.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:30 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
That's lucky --- there's a penalty for taking a rental car out of Florida. Michigan must be on that list, too.
I have the southeast corner of Michigan up to the westernmost town in the UP (Ironwood) at 636 miles. That was not a bad suggestion at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.