Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2024, 01:21 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Right off the bat I can't think of any other states where the shortest distance between two cities in the same state requires a drive through two other states. One state yes, but two is unusual. Though there is probably some other cases.

As of right now, if driving from Delmar, MD (on the MD side) to Redhouse, MD, the fastest route takes you through Delaware, Virginia, and West Virginia.

This heavily depends on traffic though, and indeed, the fastest reverse route only takes you through Delaware. (at this moment!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 03:28 AM

1,234 posts, read 941,460 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone would think Buffalo is near NYC. Anyone who would think that has zero knowledge of the geography of New York state.

NYC is almost completely disconnected from the rest of the state. It's nearer to New Jersey and Connecticut than other parts of New York state. And Buffalo is on the opposite end of the state. The shortest distance between Buffalo and NYC is through New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Right off the bat I can't think of any other states where the shortest distance between two cities in the same state requires a drive through two other states. One state yes, but two is unusual. Though there is probably some other cases.

Darn it, I was thinking I found an example of my own.

Old 02-11-2024, 03:01 AM

15,415 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
As of right now, if driving from Delmar, MD (on the MD side) to Redhouse, MD, the fastest route takes you through Delaware, Virginia, and West Virginia.

This heavily depends on traffic though, and indeed, the fastest reverse route only takes you through Delaware. (at this moment!)
Wow, for the shortest possible miles you would cut through DC as well.

Old 02-11-2024, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Darn it, I was thinking I found an example of my own.
It's not easy to find them, but there are a few examples.

Brookings, Oregon to Fields, Oregon, the shortest highway route would first take you into California, then back into Oregon, and finally into Nevada before turning back north into Oregon.

Evanston, Wyoming to Jackson, Wyoming would take you into Utah, back into Wyoming, then slightly into Idaho before crossing back into Wyoming.

Littlefield, Arizona to Yuma, Arizona would take you through Nevada and California.

That's about all I can find.

Old 02-11-2024, 07:46 AM

1,234 posts, read 941,460 times
Quote:
It's not easy to find them, but there are a few examples.

Brookings, Oregon to Fields, Oregon, the shortest highway route would first take you into California, then back into Oregon, and finally into Nevada before turning back north into Oregon.

Evanston, Wyoming to Jackson, Wyoming would take you into Utah, back into Wyoming, then slightly into Idaho before crossing back into Wyoming.

Littlefield, Arizona to Yuma, Arizona would take you through Nevada and California.

That's about all I can find.
It's harder to find examples in the western US than eastern US because western states are much larger in area.

Old 02-11-2024, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
It's harder to find examples in the western US than eastern US because western states are much larger in area.
And much straighter. Most of the Western states are pretty square, and generally only bordered by another square state on each side. Unless you are traveling from one state line town to another state line town on the same border, you probably won't have to travel out of state for an instate trip.

We just don't have states shaped like New York, Michigan, Maryland or West Virginia in the West. The Idaho - Montana border is really the only non straight stateline in the West.

Old 02-13-2024, 06:45 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
And much straighter. Most of the Western states are pretty square, and generally only bordered by another square state on each side. Unless you are traveling from one state line town to another state line town on the same border, you probably won't have to travel out of state for an instate trip.

We just don't have states shaped like New York, Michigan, Maryland or West Virginia in the West. The Idaho - Montana border is really the only non straight stateline in the West.
Other non-straight borders out west:

Washington-Oregon border.

Arizona with Nevada and California.

Old 02-13-2024, 07:25 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone would think Buffalo is near NYC. Anyone who would think that has zero knowledge of the geography of New York state.

NYC is almost completely disconnected from the rest of the state. It's nearer to New Jersey and Connecticut than other parts of New York state. And Buffalo is on the opposite end of the state. The shortest distance between Buffalo and NYC is through New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

I promise those people are out there. Plenty think buffalo is just an hour away or a suburb of nyc

Old 02-14-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I promise those people are out there. Plenty think buffalo is just an hour away or a suburb of nyc
Well, then they don't have any understanding of the geography of New York state. They are probably the same people who can't find the US on a world map.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:10 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Facts!

Most people don't realize how big NY is. It's a 9 and a half hour drive from Ripely (Western edge) to Montauk (end of Long Island). It's 7 hours from Ripley to Plattsburg (northeastern corner). And it's 7 hours from Montauk to Plattsburg. All of that is pure driving time alone! That might not seem like a lot to someone out West, but for the East Coast it's pretty daunting.

Growing up in Charleston, WV, I could be to any of the following in 7 - 9 hours;

*Note: Just driving time

>Detroit, MI (5.5 hours) > 2 states away
>Nashville, TN (6 hours) > 2 states away
>Buffalo, NY (6.5 hours) > 2 states away
>Charleston, SC (7 hours) > 3 states away
>Chicago, IL (7.5 hours) > 3 states away
>St Louis, MO (7.5 hours) > 4 states away (practically)
>Philadelphia, PA (7.5 hours) > 1 state away (but practically 2)
>Atlanta, GA (8 hours) > 3 or 4 states away (depending on which way you go)
>New York, NY (8.5 hours) > 2 or 3 states away
>Birmingham, AL (9 hours away) > 3 or 4 states away
>Memphis, TN (9 hours away) > 2 very long states away

Maybe the better takeaway from this is how centrally located West Virginia is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.