Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2023, 05:20 PM

1,235 posts, read 942,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Minnesota is tied with Wisconsin
You would only have to go through one less state to get to the ocean from Wisconsin, even if the actual fastest route from Wisconsin to the ocean goes through more states, it's possible to drive from Wisconsin to Virginia with Illinois and Kentucky being the only other states you pass through.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 01:13 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,376,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
You would only have to go through one less state to get to the ocean from Wisconsin, even if the actual fastest route from Wisconsin to the ocean goes through more states, it's possible to drive from Wisconsin to Virginia with Illinois and Kentucky being the only other states you pass through.
A more interesting map would be how far the states are from the Great Lakes...cuz...you can actually drink of them. The oceans are salty, undrinkable hasbeens from Empire days ..

Old 11-26-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
A more interesting map would be how far the states are from the Great Lakes...cuz...you can actually drink of them. The oceans are salty, undrinkable hasbeens from Empire days ..
New York is the only state that's water blue on both maps

Old 11-27-2023, 06:29 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Minnesota is tied with Wisconsin
Wisconsin can reach the ocean through 3 states. Wisconsin > Illinois > Kentucky > Virginia

Old 11-27-2023, 07:43 AM

1,348 posts, read 882,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Wisconsin can reach the ocean through 3 states. Wisconsin > Illinois > Kentucky > Virginia
Yeah, someone already replied and corrected me. This is pointless though because it has more to do with the size of the state's than actual proximity to the ocean

Old 11-27-2023, 05:36 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Dude....midwesterners are allowed to travel to the coastal states to vacation at the beach/access the ocean. You don't have to go to the silliest and most extreme case of Sour Grapes ever over it. lol

I've seen plenty of OH and MI license plates on the NC coast. Y'all are always welcome.

I'd wager there are for more people who travel from the great lakes to the coast to visit the oceanside beaches than travel from coastal states to visit the great lakes.

That's not knocking the great lakes at all; some of my fondest childhood memories are from my grandparents cottage on Lake Ontario....but lets not get carried away.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Dude....midwesterners are allowed to travel to the coastal states to vacation at the beach/access the ocean. You don't have to go to the silliest and most extreme case of Sour Grapes ever over it. lol

I've seen plenty of OH and MI license plates on the NC coast. Y'all are always welcome.

I'd wager there are for more people who travel from the great lakes to the coast to visit the oceanside beaches than travel from coastal states to visit the great lakes.

That's not knocking the great lakes at all; some of my fondest childhood memories are from my grandparents cottage on Lake Ontario....but lets not get carried away.
I made the second map just for map.

Old 12-02-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
I made the second map just for fun.
Corrected my last post.

There was a boat ride in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan that I did back in 2006 that I think crossed the United States-Canada water border though there no stops during the boat ride except for the stop back at the beginning to get off. If the boat did cross the water border then I went into Canada without a passport since I didn't get a passport until earlier this year.

Old 12-02-2023, 12:45 PM

Here's more oddities related to Sault Ste. Marie. The fastest route from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Windsor, Ontario is almost entirely in Michigan which is part of a different country. Windsor, Ontario is also 5 hours south of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan despite the latter being part of a country that's known for being south of the former.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:12 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,953,570 times
Speaking of which, most Canadian cities from Winnipeg westward have the majority of its quickest driving route to Toronto within the US. For example, Vancouver to Toronto involves driving through or near Seattle, MSP, Chicago, and Detroit for its normal quickest through route according to Google. That's why Canadian cars still have MPH on the inner ring on the speedometers, while US highways and freeways have a much more comprehensive network compared to Canada's, which have lower speed limits on average and fewer expressway portions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.