Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 AM

45 posts, read 69,588 times

Advertisements

What I see here is one poster who is upset that several testimonials from suburban dwellers have ran counter to the tired and predictible narrative of urbanists. And I say this while considering myself an urbanist at heart.

Urbanists need to understand that these things are not black and white and what works for some does not work for others.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
There some small exceptions but everyone who gets it knows this.
Must be an awful lot of people who don't "get it."

How many suburban residents do you know?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Must be an awful lot of people who don't "get it."

How many suburban residents do you know?
Too many to count.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas46032 View Post
What I see here is one poster who is upset that several testimonials from suburban dwellers have ran counter to the tired and predictible narrative of urbanists. And I say this while considering myself an urbanist at heart.

Urbanists need to understand that these things are not black and white and what works for some does not work for others.
Upset? No. Im just here to educate people.

Some people here are getting upset by the facts and are trying to convince themselves that the unfortunate suburban situation is not true, despite the truth deep down they know to be true.

Like a crack addict who thinks they can quit when they want some subarbanites are in denial. The first step to recovery is accrpting the problem.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM

14,023 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
The misery of the suburbs is well known and documented. The downfall and the decline of America is in the suburbs. So yes if you want to see why things suck look at the suburbs and the lifestyle of the lazy, ignorant, and greedy who live there. There some small exce ptions but everyone who gets it knows this.
If that's true where is the most
poverty
high school dropouts
crime
obesity
drug abuse ( usually a coping mechinism for depression or felling of inadquecty)
the answer to all of these is the city but that doesn't mean everyone in the city is even one of these because the vast majority are not.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If that's true where is the most
poverty
high school dropouts
crime
obesity
drug abuse ( usually a coping mechinism for depression or felling of inadquecty)
the answer to all of these is the city but that doesn't mean everyone in the city is even one of these because the vast majority are not.
I already posted the stats showing zuburbs have worse crime. Poverty is also now worse in suburbs, ill post support after work in a few hours. Also obesity is a a bigger problem in more rural areas.

All these problems you mentioned are socioeconomic issues. The suburbs used to have the middle and upper classes, but we are seeing that now suburbs are where the lower class lives while the new middle and upper class are going to the city.

Lile you said though most of these issues only apply to some suburbanites, except obesity. Obesity is rampant in suburbs.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:40 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Lile you said though most of these issues only apply to some suburbanites, except obesity.
Now every suburban resident is obese?

Where do you get this stuff?

Old 02-22-2012, 03:00 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
I'm a total urbanite who wouldn't seriously consider moving to the 'burbs, but I really do not understand the over-the-top hatred and spite that some people have about suburban America.

As soon as someone starts talking about gangs in the inner city, we all rush to point out that the vast bulk of the urban landscape is not rife with blight and crime, and that this nastiness is isolated to specific pockets that are easily avoided and have little to do with the rest of the fabric of urban life.

But it seems that to some people, in the same breath that they'll defend urban America against paranoid tea-party myths of the inaccuracies of city life, they'll immediately dump on the suburbs in kind, and make sweeping statements about them being boring, depressing, shallow, lily-white, soul-sucking tracts of all that is shameful in America.

I lived in suburban and rural areas till I was 13 and we moved to Boston, and I'll be the first to say that I have chosen to continue to live in cities - LA, SF, NYC, Seattle. I live in cities because of the culture, the cultural offerings, the exposure to different cultures and people, the food, the music... not because of a yard, a two-car garage, sensible housing prices, good schools, and certainly not for quiet. These things are absolutely not my concern, due in part to the fact that I'm single and don't have kids (and who is it that generally moves out to the suburbs?).

Bottom line: I really don't mind the suburbs at all, even if I choose not to live in them. I understand why they exist, and the purpose they serve to people as well as to American society. We urbanites can bemoan the Toby Keith image of what a real American is as something that doesn't represent our lives, the same that someone in the suburbs can bemoan concerns over urban life not being representative of theirs.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Now every suburban resident is obese?

Where do you get this stuff?
You are having trouble with reading comprehensation. I never said every suburbanite is fat. I said obesity was ramptant. Please try understanding the comment in the context of the discussion instead of making assumptions.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:12 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
You are having trouble with reading comprehensation. I never said every suburbanite is fat. I said obesity was ramptant. Please try understanding the comment in the context of the discussion instead of making assumptions.
Still waiting for those stats that say suburbs are poorer and more dangerous than cities, or did you not supply any because there are not any
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.