Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 PM

10 posts, read 19,085 times

Advertisements

Other than location it's hard to compare rust belt vs. sunbelt because each city is different in it's own way.

Boston and Buffalo are both in the rust belt, other than the industrial past they don't have much or anything in common. Same goes for NYC and Pittsburgh or Cleveland and Philly.

Same with the sunbelt. As another poster stated where does the sunbelt start and end? Southern California to Florida, as north as North Carolina or Virginia? If that's the case then what do San Diego and Raleigh have in common other than being sunbelt cities? Phoenix and Tampa? Austin and Atlanta? New Orleans and Albuquerque? Other than warm weather and being more "sprawly" you can't generalize all the sunbelt cities being the same.

Last edited by Lavender123; 09-03-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 05:02 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender123 View Post
Other than location it's hard to compare rust belt vs. sunbelt because each city is different in it's own way.

Boston and Buffalo are both in the rust belt, other than the industrial past they don't have much or anything in common. Same goes for NYC and Pittsburgh or Cleveland and Philly.

Same with the sunbelt. As another poster stated where does the sunbelt start and end? Southern California to Florida, as north as North Carolina or Virginia? If that's the case then what do San Diego and Raleigh have in common other than being sunbelt cities? Phoenix and Tampa? Austin and Atlanta? New Orleans and Albuquerque? Other than warm weather and being more "sprawly" you can generalize all the sunbelt cities being the same.
Good point, and I agree...but Boston, NYC, and Philly are not usually considered rust belt cities.

The differences between areas of the sunbelt are much more pronounced than between areas of the rust belt, probably because the former spans the entire length of the U.S.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:21 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No one cares in much of the Northeast or "Rust Belt" either. I live in a working/middle class suburban neighborhood that has people of various age and occupational ranges. No one cares and people say "Hi!" and talk to each other as well. So, it depends and will vary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurb View Post
You must not have spent much or any time in Boston.
Maurb, you do realize that Boston makes up a very very small portion of the Northeast right? I lived in the Northeast for almost 20 years and will concur with ckhthankgod's observations. Very few places I lived in or visited (including the Boston area) gave a rip what you did with your own time, who you knew, or what you wore.

Quote:
It's simple: Florida is doing fine without the bailouts that disproportionately benefited states in the Rust Belt. As the effects of that temporary boost wear off(and they're starting to), The Sun Belt will regain its competitive advantage, in addition to the non-economic advantages it already has.
Believe what you want. The positives MI has seen the last year or so are NOT wearing off, and things are looking better here. Go ahead and think what you want, I know what I see and will believe that over some anonymous poster on an internet forum who has shown a dislike for everything Northeast or Midwest.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:55 AM

130 posts, read 166,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Maurb, you do realize that Boston makes up a very very small portion of the Northeast right? I lived in the Northeast for almost 20 years and will concur with ckhthankgod's observations. Very few places I lived in or visited (including the Boston area) gave a rip what you did with your own time, who you knew, or what you wore. .
Yeah, you've lived everywhere and you know it all. We get it.

Quote:

Believe what you want. The positives MI has seen the last year or so are NOT wearing off, and things are looking better here. Go ahead and think what you want, I know what I see and will believe that over some anonymous poster on an internet forum who has shown a dislike for everything Northeast or Midwest.

The so-called positives you claim to see will not be sustainable because a). it's mostly due to an artificially propped up state economy and b). The state needs to lose a minimum of 4 million more people before it reaches the same equilibrium its neighbors, Minnesota and Wisconsin are at.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Yeah, you've lived everywhere and you know it all. We get it.
Never said I lived everywhere or know it all. I have lived in the Northeast for almost 20 years though and that is plenty of time to know that it is a much larger and diverse area than just Boston, something you obviously don't know or refuse to comprehend. Also lived in the Midwest for about 20 years, and spent a few years living in the South. You on the other hand spew out typical stereotypes and your own personal opinions as if they were fact without regard to actual facts or even reason most of the time. Anytime you are shown to be wrong or questioned, you turn to personal insults like a petulant child on a playground. Pathetic really.

The rest of your rant isn't even worth responding to. Not because I can't, but because it would be a waste of time, you refuse to believe anything that doesn't agree with your opinions. You have shown how little you actually know about the regions you are slamming, so there is no further need to respond to your childish posts and ridiculous opinions.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 AM

130 posts, read 166,103 times
Quote:
Never said I lived everywhere or know it all. I have lived in the Northeast for almost 20 years though and that is plenty of time to know that it is a much larger and diverse area than just Boston, something you obviously don't know or refuse to comprehend. Also lived in the Midwest for about 20 years, and spent a few years living in the South..
Ironically, it's people like you who move around the most who tend to be least in touch with the area(s) they've lived in. Enough said. You sound like a typical white collar transplant who gets put up in corporate housing and assumes the natives are like you.

Quote:
You on the other hand spew out typical stereotypes and your own personal opinions as if they were fact without regard to actual facts or even reason most of the time. Anytime you are shown to be wrong or questioned, you turn to personal insults like a petulant child on a playground. Pathetic really...
You might as well be looking in the mirror because I've seen your posts and how you've attacked others for so much as sneezing the wrong way when talking/Typing about your home state (if you can call it that, given how often you move). I actually think it's a nice area, including Mason County but the people there suck. You're the epitomy of the defensive attitudes I tend to run into there.

Quote:
The rest of your rant isn't even worth responding to. Not because I can't, but because it would be a waste of time, you refuse to believe anything that doesn't agree with your opinions. You have shown how little you actually know about the regions you are slamming, so there is no further need to respond to your childish posts and ridiculous opinions.
I know a lot more about the regions I'm "slamming" than you apparently do. I don't have a horse in this race, so I'm capable of being a lot more objective than you are.

By the way, anyone who says the Toyota Tercel is the worst car they ever owned clearly doesn't have a clue about much of anything. See, I told you I've read some of your past posts.

Quote:

1996 Toyota Trecel. What a huge POS that thing was. Rode horrible, unreliable, not even good MPG for it's size. Underpowered, slow as death, shifted like a stick stuck in a box of marbles, uncomfortable on anything more than trips into town.

Worst part was that it was bought brand new (by my then girlfriend, wife now) and showed problems from the first week. I was SO happy to ship that pile of crap down the road... my 1974 Jeep J-4000 junker pick-up was a better vehicle in all aspects except gas mileage. ..
Yes, I'm a Troll but I don't hate you. I find you very amusing..LMAO

Last edited by maurb; 09-04-2012 at 08:11 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
[quote=maurb;25923352]There are actually far more jobs in Florida and the economy there is far more diverse than that of most Rust belt states. Florida also has a lot more manufacturing than it gets credit for having.quote]

Jobs in Florida??? Name the city please... it's certainly not in South Florida, SW Florida, Tampa, or Orlando.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
...taking a shower if you're going to be out for long periods in extreme heat and humidity is almost pointless as well.
Lol No, it's not. A clean person sweating is still much better than a dirty person who's sweating.

I don't know about everyone else, but while being out in the humidity might make me sweat a lot, it doesn't make me filthy or smelly. It's practically just salt water, and diet has a lot to do with how nasty your sweat is.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Louisville may not geographically be in the Sun Belt, and it may have some manufacturing history, but by today's standards, it is indeed part of the Sun Belt...it has experienced all the booms and characteristics of the New South. Louisville for only being 110 miles south of Indianapolis feels more like 200 miles south of it. Louisville has a lot in common with Richmond, Nashville, and Charlotte.
Huh? I dont know. Louisville has as much or more in common with ST Louis than it does with Nashville or Charlotte. If anything, Louisville is a hybrid of St Louis and Nashville with less suburbs than both (thus smaller metro). From an urbanized area where "non-ghetto" people live, Louisville has one of the largest urban cores in the interior US outside the major 10 cities. Few cities its size have as many preserved urban hoods. If Louisville was not in KY, and if it had pro sports, it would be mentioned as a hip city with Austin, Portland, etc.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:07 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
The rust belt. More affordable, and I hate hot weather. More liberal politically too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.