Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 PM

699 posts, read 2,237,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoOCtoSD View Post
I say NYC, LA, and SF are the three most influential US global cities if looked judged as a whole. LA's dominance in the media industry will always make it relevant across the globe. The rest of the world basically sees America through the eyes of the NYC and LA media, Chicago is merely an afterthought.
LA's media is based on entertainment, which isn't really of great global importance or earth-shattering impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Such a static analysis. When globalization crashes, you'll be the first to cry on Chicago's or Cleveland's or Detroit's shoulder. The Asians and Europeans won't care what you have to say, because they won't be buying or funding this kind of drivel anymore. I could care less about your foreign paymasters and their expensive condos in New York and Los Angeles, and that goes for Wall Street and Hollywood as well.
I don't see globalization crashing anytime soon. It's been around for decades. The world is just too integrated now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The international influence of San Francisco and Seattle has risen proportionally with Asia finance and trade, and Boston has fallen to an extent as Europe has become relatively less important. The Chinese and Indians will go home, and the Google guys will come back to the Midwest from where they came, or go hang out with the American-hating hippies in New Zealand.
Europe hasn't become relatively less important, especially after the formation of the EU.

It's pretty safe to say that the Chinese and Indians are here to stay, doubt that will change anytime in the near future.

New Zealand has American-hating hippies?

Old 10-24-2007, 12:06 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,902,847 times
I've never met anyone from New Zealand who had anything good to say about the United States. They likely despise Australia too. I don't have any good public opinion poll data to substantiate this hypothesis at this point.

If Ford and General Motors merged, you would just have one bigger, perhaps sicker company. At this point, the European Union project has been only successful in terms of currency union. Nothing else about it begs imitation.

Nineteenth-century integration crashed in 1914. Also, China and India have limits to growth like everyone else. If history is any guide, Chinese dreams are just that: dreams. Russia has never been able to prosper peacefully either: it was growing in 1914 but had too much social divisions.

American universalism does not travel well. Arguably, it's not the values in Hollywood product that matter, but rather the messages of crass consumption. (Increasingly, these are the only values promoted.)

Middle America is down but not out, and baring thermonuclear conflict, will be the region and culture left standing. Thanks for shorting us ... we'll buy back our own stock.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,209,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
LA's media is based on entertainment, which isn't really of great global importance or earth-shattering impact.
There is no creative media anywhere near the global importance or earth shattering impact of Hollywood. That's why it's refered to as the world's most dominant single export, of which you should be proud. Unless you're into east coast talking heads, Jackson Pollack drip paintings and third tier Broadway...

Old 10-24-2007, 11:03 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Do you think the big three will always be the most meaningful cities in the United States or do you think some city will eventually pass them in the future?I ask this because when I really think of big cities in our country,that our the biggest world symbols in our country,those are them,but I wanted to know if anyone thinks that someone will pass them up in the future?
You only think they are the most "meaningful" now because that's where the US media is located and how could they be wrong? What do you actually mean by "meaningful" - I'm not sure I would label Chicago that way under any definition. And San Francisco---Get out of town!

Old 10-24-2007, 04:55 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,603,482 times
LA is meaningful??? whatever.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:47 PM

84 posts, read 87,188 times
I think that Houston in some ways has already passed the lower two, and has made it's way as the second. It is not only the energy capital of the world, but has become the most important city for medicine in the nation, arguably the WORLD! If Houston dropped off the face of the Earth tomorrow it would be missed on a global level and would affect everyone in America.

But aside from Houston, the role of Seattle, San Fran, and San Diego has been increasing for years. Likewise, if we all woke up and San Fran is gone, we are going to feel the impact right at home.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:00 AM

884 posts, read 1,035,371 times
Yeah, what is the definition of meaningful you are speaking of? I would agree, Houston is a very important city, but meaningful would not describe it for the majority of the country. Unfortunately, I think most people couldn't tell you the major industries that fuel Houston's economy.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:25 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You only think they are the most "meaningful" now because that's where the US media is located and how could they be wrong? What do you actually mean by "meaningful" - I'm not sure I would label Chicago that way under any definition. And San Francisco---Get out of town!
If those three cities were nations, they'd have economies that rank in the top 20 in the world.

http://www.usmayors.org/70thAnnualMe...troNations.pdf

These numbers are about 5 years old, so things may have changed, but at the time, NYC had an economy larger than South Korea's. LA beat the Netherlands and Australia. Chicago crested Russia, Taiwan, and Argentina.

These are powerful metro areas. Boston, DC, Houston, and Philly were in the top 30, followed by Atlanta, Dallas, etc.

I don't, however, believe that these cities will always be as powerful or important as they are now. If you look at the colonies, the major cities were NYC, Philly, Boston, and Charleston. Charleston has clearly been marginalized (though it remains an amazing city), and Philly doesn't enjoy the prominence it used to. Other cities have waxed and waned. Detroit was once a great sister and rival to Chicago. No longer. Other rust belt cities have seen similar fates.

However, a few things may happen. Sea levels may rise. I don't want to get into that debate right now, but if it happens, what then? Also, what if there is a great earthquake or flood that cripples one of these cities. NOLA hasn't recovered. What if a storm destroyed, say, NYC and Boston, and seriously damaged some other east coast cities. What then? My point is, you never know what might happen. Several of our great cities are in precarious positions and one cataclysm could change the city forever.

My point is, it's impossible to know what will happen in the future. My bet is that by century's end, at least one of the three will be seriously marginalized and some other city that we aren't even thinking about will have emerged to take its place. New industries arise. Look what the tech industries have done to San Jose or Seattle.

Nothing is permanent.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarshield View Post
I think that Houston in some ways has already passed the lower two, and has made it's way as the second. It is not only the energy capital of the world, but has become the most important city for medicine in the nation, arguably the WORLD! If Houston dropped off the face of the Earth tomorrow it would be missed on a global level and would affect everyone in America.

But aside from Houston, the role of Seattle, San Fran, and San Diego has been increasing for years. Likewise, if we all woke up and San Fran is gone, we are going to feel the impact right at home.
Houston might be the new Second City. It has cultural similarities to Chicago and New York City. Houston has the second largest number of Fortune 500 companies and it's the second most important performing scene. It seems George H.W. Bush must have brought along some friends from the Tri-State Area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
There is no creative media anywhere near the global importance or earth shattering impact of Hollywood. That's why it's refered to as the world's most dominant single export, of which you should be proud. Unless you're into east coast talking heads, Jackson Pollack drip paintings and third tier Broadway...
Those talking heads are important. Washington is the engine of the country. Washington does produce media. Ever heard of Meet the Press, the longest running television show in U.S. history and it shows no signs of ever leaving the air? Jackson Pollack drip paintings and other works of art are auctioned off on Manhattan. I haven't heard of auctions in L.A., just in N.Y.C. and London. Museums are rare in L.A. It seems people are more interested in Hollywood and celebrity sighting outings. And I like live performances over taped. At least they are real people not pictures and a soundtrack.

Last edited by KerrTown; 10-26-2007 at 12:45 AM..

Old 10-26-2007, 09:50 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
By whom???
dude,
by a lot of people.

Having traveled to lots of places, whenever I say Im from San Francisco, someone always says, oh, Silicon Valley this or Silicon Valley that.

It may be far away as far as SV culture, but in miles its only 30 miles N...you never really stood a chance of ever being seen as your own place. But I guess its not that bad is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.