Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 02:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,802 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles does real well with France. I will admit Paris is a beautiful place with lousy people, but they do pay homage to Hollywood. This little thing called Cannes, they hold a festival every year I think. London is the most impressive. They are the largest financial center in the world, so it's kind of like New York, only bigger, and they're like the Hollywood of their country! So, they are as close to a 'world' capital as any I can think of. They like Los Angeles also. More Brits in L. A. than anywhere else in the country....

Old 11-04-2007, 06:03 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Los Angeles does real well with France. I will admit Paris is a beautiful place with lousy people, but they do pay homage to Hollywood. This little thing called Cannes, they hold a festival every year I think. London is the most impressive. They are the largest financial center in the world, so it's kind of like New York, only bigger, and they're like the Hollywood of their country! So, they are as close to a 'world' capital as any I can think of. They like Los Angeles also. More Brits in L. A. than anywhere else in the country....
Um, no. London has NYC in finance only because of 9/11, where NYC lost more office space than the city of Cincinnati. NYC also destroys London in business, stocks, trade, entertainment, media, politics, culture, and everything. Not every empire went down the drain, my friend. And besides, this isn’t 1400, this is 2007. New York City is way too powerful, too strong, a lot stronger than the British Empire or Roman Empire ever were. So don’t expect us to fall, because we’re gaining more population every year than Los Angeles. London is even older than NYC, has that fallen yet? No, old age does not equal unimportance. London, Paris, and NYC are old, and yet they are 3 of the Big Four in the world, with Tokyo in it with them. Your arguments are null, the most ridiculous comebacks ever. You still haven’t come up with a comeback from about 7 of my other winning points. Can’t come up with one, can you? Oh, and please, I know what you’ll do… “Futcha futcha futcha. I love you. You wanna know why I love you…” That crap means nothing, it has no point. So, for the first time in the thread, come up with a good argument, not a paragraph on how much you love me… I know I’m lovable, but I’m straight, dude.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:13 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,472 times
Quote:
Sticking to the original idea, and holding to the notion that three will remain, I do think it's possible- that one will drop off in the future. Nothing remains the same, and out of the three, New York will be the first to drop out. Oh, as the positions of Chicago, Houston and Los Angeles will have to be decided on by fate, it is also fate that drops New York like a potato. The Empire state indeed! Remember the British empire, and other sure bets from the past and you will realize this is inevitable. New York is the oldest and most established of the three and therefore the most vulnerable. Age, corruption and the innability to maintain the infrastructure will bring it to fourth, and then fifth place in the coming 100 - 150 years. The rather provincial and outdated culture of New York will not keep this unfortunate event from occuring. Actually, it will accelerate the process. The physical vulnerability of the location, chosen at a time that couldn't conceive of the realities of the 21st century, has me worried for it. Sticking all of its eggs on a skinny little sandbar in the middle of a river used to convey a protective, fort like mentality. Now, it's just vulnerable. America will come to realize this in the coming years, and reinvest elsewhere for the security of the country as a whole. I've said it before; never put all of your eggs in one basket. 80 years from now, Los Angeles will hold the #1 spot, Chicago second and New York third. Houston will jump on a little later and New York will drop to fourth. It's science.
Outdated culture? Haha! THIS RIGHT HERE IS PROOF THAT HE’S NEVER BEEN TO NYC. NYC is Hip Hop, the largest cultural movement ever. 50 Cent, a New Yorker, is running it right now, along with Kanye West, a Chicagoan. And how about MTV? NYC runs MTV. Please, just close your ignorant little mouth. Stop trying to start crap.

Los Angeles will never be the number one spot. It’s importance globally isn’t even 1/3 of NYC’s. Get over yourself. Arrogance. Anybody can say anything on the net, doesn’t make it right. I don’t know, maybe this dude’s the one that should get a fricking infraction, he’s been instigating crap ever since he’s joined. I saw you on SkyscraperCity saying hey to everyone, saying that you’re sick of defending your city from idiots on another site. See, how we are getting in his head Downtown1 and Steve-O! He’s making things up now, he’s trying not to snap on here because this board is much more strict than SkyscraperCity, but over there he becomes a little baby. Nice try, Milky, but nothing slips by me, especially a sly little Angeleno like yourself who is “loves” LA so much he moved to Las Vegas. That’s the biggest insult Los Angeles will ever get, “I left you for Las Vegas.” Ha! Really, can we take this Milky character seriously? I can’t.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:56 AM

274 posts, read 320,010 times
Quote:
Sticking to the original idea, and holding to the notion that three will remain, I do think it's possible- that one will drop off in the future. Nothing remains the same, and out of the three, New York will be the first to drop out. Oh, as the positions of Chicago, Houston and Los Angeles will have to be decided on by fate, it is also fate that drops New York like a potato. The Empire state indeed! Remember the British empire, and other sure bets from the past and you will realize this is inevitable. New York is the oldest and most established of the three and therefore the most vulnerable. Age, corruption and the innability to maintain the infrastructure will bring it to fourth, and then fifth place in the coming 100 - 150 years. The rather provincial and outdated culture of New York will not keep this unfortunate event from occuring. Actually, it will accelerate the process. The physical vulnerability of the location, chosen at a time that couldn't conceive of the realities of the 21st century, has me worried for it. Sticking all of its eggs on a skinny little sandbar in the middle of a river used to convey a protective, fort like mentality. Now, it's just vulnerable. America will come to realize this in the coming years, and reinvest elsewhere for the security of the country as a whole. I've said it before; never put all of your eggs in one basket. 80 years from now, Los Angeles will hold the #1 spot, Chicago second and New York third. Houston will jump on a little later and New York will drop to fourth. It's science.
LOL.

I almost choked laughing at that silly comment.

In 80 years, Los Angeles will be annexed into Mexico. You should know better. It will be New Mexico City. I cringe to think of the future of that city. It will never be the Great American City which is New York.

Los Angeles will never be New York. Ever. You know nothing because from the tone of your meaningless post you have never stepped foot into New York. I've lived in Los Angeles for a long time so I should know. I'm not saying L.A. is complete rubbish but please, don't make it into something it's not.

"outdated culture", LOL. Good one.

Last edited by SaintLaurent; 11-04-2007 at 11:06 AM..

Old 11-04-2007, 10:59 AM

274 posts, read 320,010 times
Quote:
...and Los Angeles should never be included in the same sentence as Paris anyway.

Lousy people?

Los Angelenos are the hight of tackiness in comparison. Parisians are epitome of sophistication and intelligence compared to Angelenos.

P.S., Parisians could care less about Hollywood and L.A., every time I've mentioned that I live in Los Angeles to Parisians they all think it is some ghetto crime ridden cesspool.

Quote:
More Brits in L. A. than anywhere else in the country....
No.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:14 PM

646 posts, read 813,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Do you think the big three will always be the most meaningful cities in the United States or do you think some city will eventually pass them in the future?I ask this because when I really think of big cities in our country,that our the biggest world symbols in our country,those are them,but I wanted to know if anyone thinks that someone will pass them up in the future?

There seems to be a lot of confusion here between cities and metro areas which can overlap or be a completely different but just as relevant list.

If you look at the title cities initially on your list, NY, LA, Chicago there has already been shifting around in the last 20 or so years. In terms of just cities and city limits, NY, LA, Chicago have already shifted form NY, Chicago, LA as LA surpassed Chicago in terms of populations. The big four in terms of pop are NY, LA, Chicago, then Houston. The top four shifted in recent decades because Houston surpassed Philadelphia in the 4th national spot easing out Phila to 5 in defining cities pops within their city limits. (For North America as a whole, the list changes again, NY, LA, Chicago, Toronto, then Houston.

So there is much movement in the most populous spots for cities. Both LA and Houston are in prime sunbelt growing states adding seats in congress each year where they acquire more entitlement for funding, resources, because the govt. sends it their way and more representation means more of same according to the US Constitution.

Now if we are to talk of metro areas, then the list will change some since many very large metros have less people within the core cities but more on the outside in middle and uppermiddle socio-economic suburbs, and some suburbs are quite large cities themselves in terms of pop and also the counties they are situated in.

NY and LA are very differently politically subdivided. If you were talking largest US county in pop then LA would definitely be #1 already. The govt admin structure of both NY and LA are so different it's hard to compare them without using a "metro area" measurement.

So since the top 3,4,5 have changed in recent decades, there is no reason why it could not change again.

For top metros you can still look at NY, LA, Chicago, then 4th is Wash.DC/Va/Balto, the latter growing extremely rapidly.

I am going by the US census bureau's docs and reports as well as own observations and education on demographies.

Then ultimately one can look at states' growth overall. There, states can be losing population in general to other states when even their major cities can be experiencing some growth, but not nearly enough growth to outpace some other states whose cities may not be largest but still need to plan accordingly because their general population is spiraling.

Top list there is California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois. Florida is very likely to edge out New York for 3rd place in the near future. Georgia, NC, AZ, Nevada, all Sunbelt, are coming up very fast to replace former industrial state heavyweights such as Massachussetts, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio.

We're talking straight populations here, domestically. The topic and question really didn't bring in anything internationally as some have jumped to which is apples to oranges.

For those though, Sao Paulo and Mexico City, Tokyo vie for the top three slots. I think NY is 8th or thereabouts depending on the list.

Interesting note: Just because China is the most populous country, doesn't mean Beijing is the world's chief city, and because one country has a vieing top place city doesn't make it the world's most populous nor largest economy or with the most economic power either, but sometimes it intersects at certain points.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:33 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,308 times
80 years? Are you Nostradamus?

How about the most recent "prediction" by the Foreign Direct Investment Group? Why didn't FDI name LA the city of the future? Wake up and smell the coffee, my friend

2007/2008 fDi North American Cities of the Future - USA

Major cities : over 2 million population

* Chicago, Illinois
* Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
* Atlanta, Georgia
* Baltimore, Maryland
* Boston, Massachusetts
* Miami, Florida
* New York City, New York
* Dallas, Texas
* Seattle, Washington
Financial Times group - fDi magazine - Foreign Direct Investment - Awards

Quote:
80 years from now, Los Angeles will hold the #1 spot, Chicago second and New York third. Houston will jump on a little later and New York will drop to fourth. It's science.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:09 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
How about the most recent "prediction" by the Foreign Direct Investment Group? Why didn't FDI name LA the city of the future?
You have asked this question numerous times in this forum. Why don't you call or write to ask them? Nobody cares or seems to be interested, but you.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:44 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,894 times
SaintLaurent, you and Futurecop need to stop all of your LA bashing. It's completing nauseating and juvenile. I know Futurecop, by his own admission, is a teenager, but you guys are out of control. LOL

Besides what you say or think won't change anything. I'm glad you love NY so much. But, really, who cares? Trust me, Los Angeles and its native residents have no desire whatsover to become New York. Why on earth would they? The very idea is abhorrent. As it is to most Americans. Nobody wants their city or hometown to become like New York. Please.

Also milquetoast is right about LA having the most Brits of any American city/metro area.

See page 11 of the attached report on British expats in the U.S. Most of them reside in California with the greatest cocentration of them in LA and then SF. The rest are mostly dispersed in small towns and suburban areas across the country.

http://www.arts.ubc.ca/fileadmin/template/main/images/departments/soci/faculty/roth/RothNewAmericansUKarticle.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,308 times
Nobody cares? well, its because he/she doesn't care about the future of the city he/she lives in, or people are too ignorant about the real issues nowadays.

Many people know why FDI did not name LA the city of the future and there's no need to call/write and ask them that question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
You have asked this question numerous times in this forum. Why don't you call or write to ask them? Nobody cares or seems to be interested, but you.

Last edited by downtown1; 11-04-2007 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.