Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nope. Sorry this is 2007 and we live in Metropolitan areas more then we do in cities themselves, and in that context,
Wrong. Offices are usually located downtown or inner-city. If it's in the suburbs and not in the central city, you're failing. Sears is not in the Sears Tower anymore, they are in the suburbs. Discover is in the suburbs and so is McDonald's and so on. San Francisco is a big failure especially when that Silicon Valley is the tech hub not in Downtown San Francisco (what is called historically the "Financial" District).

The reason Fortune 500 only surveys cities is because it determines how well major cities keep businesses within city limits, which for most cities, are very small.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Milky, thats your opinion and keep it that way. Tenken627 was right by saying entertainment is an indirect influence, no matter how great the influence is. Please remember that the US would not become the most powerful country on earth without being a leader in Science, Technology, Finance & Military. Entertainment is important but it's not crucial in today's global economy.
Oh, Towny, I don't have to limit myself or my hometown to just entertainment, but I also don't want to go down the entire road that I have to go when L. A. haters like you are involved. No more. L. A.? Very meaningful in the ways you have just described above. You're just gonna have to eat it. Not opinion; fact!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Well if the sea levels do continue to rise as they are now, these cities will probably cease to exist,

Houston
Miami
NYC
Boston
Washington DC
Baltimore
Philadelphia
New Orleans
Jacksonville
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
Los Angeles

On the otherhand these cities would still be above sea level and become homes for everyone from the cities listed above.

Dallas
San Antonio
Austin
St. Louis
Memphis
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Denver
Phoenix
Atlanta
Minneapolis

But until that day comes we'll still be here on this site ragging on each others cities, comparing pointless information, and laughing about it!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:07 AM

So true! Uhhhh.. except the part about the cities ceasing to exist. I mean, where did you come up with your information anyway? Can you possibly know all there is to know? Or are you God! You are God, aren't you! You've come down to earth to save our little city-data souls. But, ya gotta admit, you are proud of us. The way some of us are so defensive, some are kind and truly shocked when they are belittled. Some are so intelligent, and some are dim. Such diversity, kind of like our cities, huh? God, I'm putting in a special prayer for FutureCop. He's a troubled young man who we haven't heard from in a while and we're all...not so much worried as concerned for his well being. He's very entertaining, and we miss him.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
So true! Uhhhh.. except the part about the cities ceasing to exist. I mean, where did you come up with your information anyway? Can you possibly know all there is to know? Or are you God! You are God, aren't you! You've come down to earth to save our little city-data souls. But, ya gotta admit, you are proud of us. The way some of us are so defensive, some are kind and truly shocked when they are belittled. Some are so intelligent, and some are dim. Such diversity, kind of like our cities, huh? God, I'm putting in a special prayer for FutureCop. He's a troubled young man who we haven't heard from in a while and we're all...not so much worried as concerned for his well being. He's very entertaining, and we miss him.
YES I AM !!!!SHHHHHHH DON'T TELL ANYONE!!! ITS A SECRET!!!
J/K
I have read several different stories about different levels the seas will rise....basically between 30-300feet....a far stretch I know. The cities I listed as ceasing to exist are between sea level and 300 ft....those above , well u get the point........and LA, well everyone knows the "BIG ONE", is gonna throw it off into the Pacific.
btw is "FUTURE COP" the same as "ROBOCOP"?

Old 10-31-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
No, just a member who's unintentionally funny.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
No, just a member who's unintentionally funny.
i'll have to look him up for a laugh , if not i'll just read a forum in Houston!

Old 10-31-2007, 03:23 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Wrong. Offices are usually located downtown or inner-city. If it's in the suburbs and not in the central city, you're failing. Sears is not in the Sears Tower anymore, they are in the suburbs. Discover is in the suburbs and so is McDonald's and so on. San Francisco is a big failure especially when that Silicon Valley is the tech hub not in Downtown San Francisco (what is called historically the "Financial" District).

The reason Fortune 500 only surveys cities is because it determines how well major cities keep businesses within city limits, which for most cities, are very small.
LOL...this is funny-and wrong on so many levels.

Suffice it to say that we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:56 AM

699 posts, read 2,235,660 times
Quote:
YES I AM !!!!SHHHHHHH DON'T TELL ANYONE!!! ITS A SECRET!!!
J/K
I have read several different stories about different levels the seas will rise....basically between 30-300feet....a far stretch I know. The cities I listed as ceasing to exist are between sea level and 300 ft....those above , well u get the point........and LA, well everyone knows the "BIG ONE", is gonna throw it off into the Pacific.
In theory, sea level will rise enough to cover coastal cities throughout the world.

But, it won't happen in an instant like a sudden tsunami. It would be gradual over long stretches of time, inch by inch. Plenty of time for coastal cities like NY, LA, SF, DC, etc to plan for it or move to higher locations.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:59 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL...this is funny-and wrong on so many levels.

Suffice it to say that we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Would you like to tell that to Mayor Daley? Sadly the growth is in the suburbs not in his city. He's been trying to get major companies like Sears, Allstate, and Discover back in the loop and Motorola and United in the loop. Ever heard of Schaumburg, Illinois? One would think it's a small town in Downstate Illinois. WRONG! It's a suburb of Chicago, in the Northwest.

What's the point of bragging about Chveron being in the Bay Area when they actually moved out of San Francisco proper (the Downtown Financial District out of all places!) to some sprawl "office park" in a podunk suburb on the Oakland side that no one has ever heard of? Being around is not good enough, it's being in that matters.

Quote:
On the otherhand these cities would still be above sea level and become homes for everyone from the cities listed above.

Dallas
San Antonio
Austin
St. Louis
Memphis
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Denver
Phoenix
Atlanta
Minneapolis

But until that day comes we'll still be here on this site ragging on each others cities, comparing pointless information, and laughing about it!!!
I wouldn't be so sure especially if the New Madrid earthquake destroys Dallas along with Memphis, St. Louis and Chicago and Houston is unscathed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.